Jd1989
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi everybody
This is my first post. I've had major trouble with the law exam for the ICAEW I've sat all four attempt and the final attempt was 54 (pass 55)
Which I don't understand as a pass in marks is 27.5 out of 50.....that's impossible as there are no half marks!
My question is has somebody been in the same position?
I have passed all the professional papers and advances so I am technically chartered.
But without the Law I do not have my letters!
Any quidance will be nice
Thanks
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jd1989)
Hi everybody
This is my first post. I've had major trouble with the law exam for the ICAEW I've sat all four attempt and the final attempt was 54 (pass 55)
Which I don't understand as a pass in marks is 27.5 out of 50.....that's impossible as there are no half marks!
I have passed all the professional papers and advances so I am technically chartered.
Thanks
Have you used a tutor? Sounds like your technique is flawed and you dont have enough depth or analysis to your answers.
natninja
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Have you used a tutor? Sounds like your technique is flawed and you dont have enough depth or analysis to your answers.
It's multiple choice

(Original post by Jd1989)
Hi everybody
Thanks
Have you sat all the attempts that ICAEW will allow or have you got one left? For law it is a case of if you do every question in the QB until you know the answer to every one, and more importantly you know why it is the correct answer, you should pass. 54 is really unlucky...
999tigger
Report 2 years ago
OP
If its multiple choice then do as many past papers as you can. You need to get used to the way they ask the questions and know your stuff so you can see where the emphasis is.

Keep doing them and focus on the questions you get wrong.
natninja
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
OP
If its multiple choice then do as many past papers as you can. You need to get used to the way they ask the questions and know your stuff so you can see where the emphasis is.

Keep doing them and focus on the questions you get wrong.
Again, there are no past papers... OP needs to do all the questions in the study manual and question bank. The main problem for law is that a lot of the questions on the exam are quite ambiguous and if it was written you could argue a case for an alternative answer but there is one answer where it would be easier to argue the case and it's really hard to tell which is the right one.
999tigger
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by natninja)
Again, there are no past papers... OP needs to do all the questions in the study manual and question bank. The main problem for law is that a lot of the questions on the exam are quite ambiguous and if it was written you could argue a case for an alternative answer but there is one answer where it would be easier to argue the case and it's really hard to tell which is the right one.
Thats the only way of making multiple choice a decent challenge.

How many questions are there on a paper and how many in the study manual and question bank?

I expect you need to learn it in such a way as is suitable for MC rather than learning straight law.

If the person cant do it themselves then they need to get assistance from someone who knows. cant believe someone somewhere isnt making revision guides.
natninja
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thats the only way of making multiple choice a decent challenge.

How many questions are there on a paper and how many in the study manual and question bank?

I expect you need to learn it in such a way as is suitable for MC rather than learning straight law.

If the person cant do it themselves then they need to get assistance from someone who knows. cant believe someone somewhere isnt making revision guides.
If he;s doing it through a tuition provider they'll be able to give a version of the notes with the 'prizewinner points' stripped out so its more manageable. Other than that there's the question bank, study manual and a couple of sample papers made up of questions from the question bank. There aren't really any other resources easily accessible that are actually useful.
999tigger
Report 2 years ago
If he;s doing it through a tuition provider they'll be able to give a version of the notes with the 'prizewinner points' stripped out so its more manageable. Other than that there's the question bank, study manual and a couple of sample papers made up of questions from the question bank. There aren't really any other resources easily accessible that are actually useful.
So how many questions available and how many in an exam paper?

Its a set of exams. other people learn how to do it, its just knowledge. I doubt anything is beyond reach. Its just law.
natninja
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
So how many questions available and how many in an exam paper?

Its a set of exams. other people learn how to do it, its just knowledge. I doubt anything is beyond reach. Its just law.

There are about 200-300 in the QB and 50 on the paper plus another 70 or so in the study manual though they aren't exam style - for most people reading the study manual once and working through the question bank once or twice is sufficient and for the Certificate level papers that is generally the best way to study because there is really high similarity between the QB and the exams.
999tigger
Report 2 years ago
There are about 200-300 in the QB and 50 on the paper plus another 70 or so in the study manual though they aren't exam style - for most people reading the study manual once and working through the question bank once or twice is sufficient and for the Certificate level papers that is generally the best way to study because there is really high similarity between the QB and the exams.
So a bit of common sense would have you working out where your weaknesses are and if you werent improving then getting a tutor to help you improve.

That should be plenty to get an idea of how the questions work, especially if theres a high similarity. Youd have thought alarm bells would really be ringing after the second fail. If theres only one more chance then if it were me id make sure I was as prepared as possible.
Ivfgtaca
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi- it seems like so far, the people answering your questions have not sat the law ACÁ exam and thus do not really know the issue. I've actually sat the exam and completely understand. The question bank questions I feel are not as ambiguous as the questions that you may get during the exam, which makes things harder because you don't really know where you stand. I used BPP as a tutor and the questions they offered as practise were from the question bank with a few variances 🙈. So I completely understand how frustrated you are because I feel the exact same X
LeahICAEW
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi,I am just wondering if you managed to sort this/find a way to pass the law exam?I have had 2 attempts of the exam and feel the same way! I have been through the question bank numerous times yet the questions in the exam do not seem to be in any way similar.Thanks
CrisG123
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi. I am having the same problem here. Studying with First Intuition. The tutors are not really helpfull in any tips. Started reading the study manual. Good luck to you guys!
LeahICAEW
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by CrisG123)
Hi. I am having the same problem here. Studying with First Intuition. The tutors are not really helpfull in any tips. Started reading the study manual. Good luck to you guys!
Hi, just wondering where you're up to? I booked onto online tuition with Kaplan and found it really useful! There are so many more practice questions on there, it may be worth looking into! I passed law last week with 64 (3rd attempt).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (244)
33.84%
No (477)
66.16%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed