GCSE results 2004 Watch

This discussion is closed.
Nikki J S
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by hihihihi)
For medicine all that is required at GCSE level is about 10 GCSEs A-C with B or higher in english, science and maths. Prospective medics should not be discouraged if they lack the apparently necessary handful of A*s.

I agree that prospective medics shouldn't be put off because they haven't got all A*/A's at GCSE. But with increasing numbers of people applying to do medicine competition is becoming harder, and those kind of grades are becoming commonplace for med school.

More and more universities are taking into account GCSE grades during the initial filtering process (e.g Birmingham),as they are said to be a greater predictor of success at university than AS/Alevel (I'll find the link to the BBC news report and post it). This is because GCSE's are supposed to test your application of knowledge, whereas AS/Alevel are said to be a regurgitaition of facts (I'm only stating what's in the report).

That said, I am sure that someone with high grades in the relevant subjects, but who hasn't done so well in some of the others, would not be disctriminated against because of this. After all, being a doctor is not just about academic ability, as personal skills/abilities are equally important.
Christophicus
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by SsEe)
Just wondering. Is just about everyone in this thread applying to Oxbridge next year? From the results I'd say just about everyone should be.

All makes my A*A*AAAAABBB look utter crap.

And how in god's name is it possible to get A*A*A* in english lang lit and maths? My guess is that you people are naturally good at english like subjects and maths is a piece of piss at GCSE but somebody who is good at maths just doesn't have the brain to got A*A* at English. But the former style people would be completely smoked by a maths degree. Hmmmm...

BTW. My bro got CCCCDDDDD.
I got an A* in maths and english lang.
MC REN
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Widowmaker)
I got an A* in maths and english lang.
i got A*s in maths and English Lit and Lan. and i'm going to do either maths or physics at uni., its perfectly possible to be good at english and maths

i doubt many people actually lie about their results on threads like this
immortal
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
A* English Lang
A* Maths
A* French
A* Spanish
A* RS
AA Double Science
A Textiles
B Art
B IT
B English Lit
B Drama

I was seriously expecting a U/F in RS, and was expecting a C in Maths, a B in textiles.
I was disappointed in English Lit and Art though.

Im doing French, Spanish, English Lit and Textiles AS, and hopefully, all of them A level as well
ZanyZan
Report 14 years ago
What grades did you get?
English Language: A
Speaking and listening: B
English Literature: B
Mathematics (Intmd): B
French:B
History: A
Spanish:A
Geography:A
Religious Education: A
Double Award Science (Non-Modular): BB

What grades were you (seriously!) expecting?
English Language: B
Speaking and listening: B
English Literature: A
Mathematics (Intmd): C
French:A
History: A*
Spanish:A*
Geography:A*
Religious Education: A
Double Award Science (Non-Modular): A*A*

Did you get any other achievements today, for example a Top 5, highest in school etc.?

Well, I suppose i did get nearly full marks in my maths if that counts paper 1: 76/79, paper2: 75/79

Wait! I got an endeavour award in year 10!!!

How happy are you with your results?
[Unhappy]

Reason: I expected to get at least one A star - even some people i thought were right thickos got at least one (but i suppose that was in ict - probably the easiest subject in our school) Also, I was ill during the exams - but not ill enough to pull out. And I had to sit beside the A-Level Guy who rejected me and broke my heart, during my history exam - i spent the whole damn thing thinking about him!!!!

Do you have any plans to continue into further education? If so please list subjects:

Spanish - A Level
History - A Level
Classical Civilisation - AS Level
Geography - A Level

What are you plans after further education?

I would like to be a tourism person!!!! (air hostess etc - something with travel!) and I would like to study History with Spanish at St Andrews University.

Any other comments?

I know you might think i shouldn't be dissapointed with my results - but i am, because i worked so hard for them and got grades way above my expectations during my mocks.

But just my luck to get the heaviest cold in the world, just as my exams start! And i forgot to take tissues into some exams and spent them, gasping for breath - I suppose I'm just making excuses but I know my teachers are dissapointed in me too.

And my two best friends are swots who got 11A*'s - when they congratulated me it was so insincere, it made me feel even worse about my results - up till i discovered theirs, i was relatively hapy with my grades.

=========
Suzanne
=========

Still, at least i got back to sixth year at my school - I love my school - sad but true!!!
neha p
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
wana say a HUGE congrats to everyone thats posted their results. you have all done so well...keep it up and get those A's rocking for nxt yr

WELL DONE!!!!!

neha xxxx
kiaora
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
What grades did you get?
English Language: [A*]
English Literature: [A]
Mathematics: [A*]
History: [A]
German [A*]
DA Science [A*] [A*]
Latin [A*]
Art [A*]

English Language: [A]
English Literature: [C]
Mathematics: [B ]
German [A*]
DA Science [A] [A]
Latin [A*]
Art [A*]

Did you get any other achievements today, for example a Top 5, highest in school etc.?

sadly not... lol. i didnt and i dont care!

Quite happy.

Reason: only quite b/c i was predicted A*s in hist and eng lit. but hey-i had bad exams and i thought i was going to get C in both. V. pleased with my sciences tho, unexpected so i guess they cancel each other out.

Do you have any plans to continue into further education? If so please list subjects:

[English Literature] [AS]
[Geman] [AS]
[History] [AS]
[Latin] [AS]
[General Studies] [AS]

Barrister

Any other comments?
dewdrop
Report 14 years ago
What grades did you get?
English Language: [A*]
English Literature: [A*]
Mathematics: [A*] :eek:
History: [A*]
German [A*]
Physics[A*]
Latin [A]
Chemistry[A*]
Biology[A*]
French[A*]

English Language: [A/A*]
English Literature: [A/A*]
Mathematics: [A ]
German [A*]
Biology [A*]
Latin [A*]
French[A*]
Physics[A]
Chemistry[A]

No, two of my friends did which was great! But I didn't even know about that till then so I'm not disappointed!!!

YES! (Except Latin)

Reason: Was not predicted some of those A*s, maths was the greatest shock of all, I cried! But Latin was always predicted an A* so it was a bit annoying to let ten A*s ( which I never dreamed I could get) slip away with that one.

[French]AS
[Maths] [AS]
[Chemistry/Geography] [AS]
[General Studies] [AS]

Not sure, hopefully will know by then. Have "narrowed" it down to either law, journalism or some business work like management.

Any other comments?
Well done everyone here! And thank you for making me for one, feel less alone during exam time, when I couldn't really discuss stuff with my school friends without them going "what are you worried about, you'll do so much better than me!"
sloaney87
Report 14 years ago
Did no work for gcses all last minute.

Got 9A* 2A's 1 B,

no matter what anyone says gcses are piss i cant believe i worried about actually working, we had about 20 kids getting top 5's in diff subjects
undiscovered
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by sloaney87)
Did no work for gcses all last minute.

Got 9A* 2A's 1 B,

no matter what anyone says gcses are piss i cant believe i worried about actually working, we had about 20 kids getting top 5's in diff subjects
Oh well aren't you all superstars.
kiaora
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
get real. dont think oxbridge would like someone with your attitude.
clairezay
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
What grades did you get?
Mathematics: [A]
French [D]
Geography [A*]
Business & Communication Studies [A*]
ICT [A]
Science [B]
Graphics [C]

French [C]
Geography [A]
Business & Communication Studies [A]
ICT [A]
Science [C]
Graphics [B]

Only two in my school got A* in geography - I was happy with that. Also, the second highest in business and communications was a B...laughing. Surprised because I was thinking I'd get a B/C. Another achievement, me and Dad had a deal - £100 per A/A* - £700 earnt.

Proud
Reason: I tried my best, I revised a lot - so I did my best and I'm happy with what I got. I would have ended up with C's and D's if I didn't revise, so I was happy with myself for once

Further maths [AS] > All that's offered in college (up to AS)
Maths [full A level probably]
Physics [full A level probably]
Geography [full A level probably]
History [probably AS - unless I find I can handle 4 A2 subjects]

Pilot baby!

Any other comments?
I know you all did better.....but who cares...i tried my best so GOOOO ME!!!
Fritz
Badges:
Report 14 years ago
What grades did you get?
English Language: C
English Literature: B
Mathematics: D
Please add the other GCSEs you took.
Science D
German C
ICT A
Business St E
RE D

English Language: D
English Literature: C
Mathematics: C
Please add the other GCSEs you took.
German C
Business st D
ICT C
RE C
No

i'm kinda happy, but i needed 5 c's.
Reason; i went to a failing skool for all year 10 and started a different school for year 11 at the end of october and i had to do all my coursework really fast coz in year 10 the school issued no coursework, plus in year 11 i started all new sylubus's in all my subjects and my mum taught me the whole business st course in a day!

Maths - gcse
english lit - as/a2
psycology -as/a2
media st -as/a2

I want to be a writer, when i get older i want to re-take science and then go to uni again and do criminal psycology or become a detective...sounds stupid but these are my dreams.

Any other comments?
[]
recurring
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
What grades did you get?
English Literature: [A*]
Double Science [AA]
ICT [A*]
Geography [A]
PE [A*]
B.S [A]
R.E [A]
D.T [B]
German [B]

Double Science [BB]
ICT [A*]
Geography [A*]
PE [A*]
B.S [A]
R.E [A]
D.T [C/D]
German [A]

naaaaaaaahhhhhh

[Neither happy/unhappy]
Reason: [These won't matter in two years time, although pleased as my school said i'd struggle to get in.]

[Maths] [AS Level]
[Eng Lit] [As Level]
[Geog] [As Level]
[ICT] [As Level]
[Gen Studies] [As Level]

I would like to be a [DUDE] and I would like to study [GIRLS] at [ANY] University.

Any other comments?
[yo]
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Got:

Speaking and listening: [B]
Mathematics: [B]
Double award science: [AA]
French: [A*]
Food technology: [B]
Short course religious studies: [A]
Media studies: [B] :eek:

Was expecting:

Speaking and listening: [B]
English Literature: [B/C]
Mathematics: [C/U] (Edexcel higher!)
Double award science: [BB/CC]
French: [A*]
Food technology: [B]
Short course religious studies: [A/A*]
Media studies: [D/E]

No special achievements that I know of, but I wasn't expecting to get any! Not too many of us got A*s in French though....

I'm happy because I didn't get any Cs (or below!) and had some pleasant surprises in maths, science and media studies. I admit I was a bit upset about not getting A*s in history and RE, especially history because I got really high A*s in mocks and coursework, but an A is nothing to cry about and I got my A* in French, which I cared a lot more about.

I'm going to do AS levels in French, English literature, history, sociology and *sigh* general studies. After that I want to do French at uni (no idea which one though!) and become a secondary school French teacher.

I hope everyone got the grades they wanted, and well done to all the people on here who seem to have done exceptionally well! Best of luck for the future.
mrbob
Report 14 years ago
What grades did you get?
English Language: [B]
French [A]
DA Science [A] [A]
P.E [A]
Art [A*]

English Language: [B]
English Literature: [B]
French [C]
DA Science [A] [A]
P.E [A]
Art [A*]

nope

quite happy

Reason: pleased with my french cuz i was predicted a C but the maths and history let me down

[Art] [AS]
[Physics] [AS]
[Maths] [AS]
[General Studies] [AS]

not sure possibly architecture

n yeah well dun every1 y'all did pretty amazin
Mr Ali
Report 14 years ago
hey I got only 4 GCSEs with 2As and 2Cs and I'm planning to do medecine at uni :confused: , so will my GCSEs hold me back or it'll be sttriaght foward if I get straight As in my As and A2. I'm looking forward to hearing u.
Rosebud
Report 14 years ago
I can't be bothered to fill in all that, but I got 8A*s and 3As. I was expecting the same except an A in german instead of an A* and an A/A* in eng lit instead of an A. GCSE results prob about 5th in school and also got 100% ums in M1 module I took with GCSEs.
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Mr Ali)
hey I got only 4 GCSEs with 2As and 2Cs and I'm planning to do medecine at uni :confused: , so will my GCSEs hold me back or it'll be sttriaght foward if I get straight As in my As and A2. I'm looking forward to hearing u.

Can you be more specific about the subjects and grades for each?
EconLou
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Religious Studies Short Course! [A*]

No..but got 97/100 UMS marks
Very happy
Reason: not much to be unhappy about really!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (233)
27.48%
No (615)
72.52%

Watched Threads