Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

June 14th: Do you use music as medicine? Watch

Announcements
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Do you use music as medicine?

This week’s Surgery is about how creativity can help your mental health. It’s all part of 'My Mind & Me’, Radio 1’s year-long mental health campaign.

Does being creative help change your mood?

Do you turn to music in times of need?

How can creativity help your mental health?

Share your experiences below, and tune in to Radio 1 on Wednesday 14th June at 9pm for support and advice if you’re struggling to express yourself.

Please note: you can post on this forum anonymously.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Yes, music is incredibly important to me. I don't play any instruments, but listening to music that I like has consistently helped me to get through some of my lowest times, when everything in my life seemed to be going wrong. During high school and sixth form, music was one of the few things that helped me to make it through each day, as I didn't start antidepressants until afterwards. I still listen to music every day, it's like I can't be without it now
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I pretty much listen to music every single day of the week, on my Spotify account alone I have over 200 songs added on there. It improves my mood so much it's almost like therapy tbh when I'm down it can really lift my mood to a great extent.

Everything I do I have listen to music whether it's cleaning my room or travelling to sixth form as it makes me somewhat motivated and optimistic.

I usually listen to Hip-Hop, Rap and a variety of other genres like EDM & Rock but mainly Hip-Hop and Rap as it gets me hyped esp if it has a decent beat and flow.

ReputationRep:
    Music is one of the most important ways for me to maintain a healthy mental health. I have severe depression and generalised anxiety and listening to music is an escape and where you can let your thoughts rest peacefully. Think we underestimate the power of music. Certain bands and artists just capsulate the way I'm feeling in an artistic and beautiful way. Some of my personal favourites are Jamie xx and Frank Ocean..

Creativity is important as a way to express yourself. Some people can't simply say how they're feeling, thats when creativity comes into play and can really help everyone understand how someone might be feeling in a way which is unique to them.

ReputationRep:
    Music is incredibly important to me.
    It helps me to cope with my depression when it kicks in.
    Also helps to forget about whatever anxiety I'm experiencing at the time.

So yes i do use music as medicine and it's one of the most powerful medication that there is!
    Highly recommend it to everyone!

ReputationRep:
    100% yes

Although I'm not diagnosed with any mental illness, I do find it really helpful when I'm feeling down/going through a different time.
    When I'm listening to music, I get so absorbed in it that for a moment I just forget the bad stuff that's happening.

I find playing an instrument (in my case piano) allows for distraction from my anxiety as it allows me to concentrate on nothing else except what I'm playing so there is no space for anything else in my mind.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah definitely

I'm not happy unless there's some sort of beat or rhythm flowing through me, whatever mood I'm in. I'll listen to it when I'm happy with myself, I'll listen to it when I need to be motivated for studying or I'll just listen when I just want to lay down and cry my feelings out

Doesn't matter what I'm feeling, music is what I need to get me through

ReputationRep:
    Music saved me. I don't know what I'd do without it.
    I wake up with music swirling in my head, a comforting presence in the back of my mind.
    Playing in the band and as a pianist, I don't play for people to say 'hey, that sounds good'. I play to be heard, to express myself, to have a voice.
    I can't imagine life without it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Music has honestly done more for me than anything else. When I was ill in hospital during secondary school music gave me the strength to try hard at school and power on despite everything that has happened and everything that was happening. It gives me comfort when I am feeling lonely and need a friend, and it just makes my life so much better. My favourite band in the whole world is Coldplay, and they're honestly one of the most important things to me because their music has just been the soundtrack to my life. I've loved them since I can remember and grew up wanting nothing but to meet them (I even have a jacket modeled after Chris Martin's 2008 Viva tour jacket). I've made friends through their music and am seeing them twice in Cardiff. In order to see them I had to really comit to my medical recovery (I have a rare disorder which may one day leave me paralysed) but in committing to bettering my physical health because of music, it had benefited my social life and my academic life (which I have even won a local award for). So yes, music is imperative to my functioning, and I really don't think I would be where I am now without it.

Music is therapy in every single way. When my depression was at its worst, I abandoned all my hobbies because I lost motivation - including playing the violin, piano, baking and drawing. The only thing I could bring myself to do was pick up my old ukulele, which I had never properly taken the time to learn, and just play on my bed because it was so easy to do so compared to anything else.

I strongly believe that the ukulele helped to lift me out of my depression and acted as a stepping stone get back into all of my old hobbies - who knew depression would enable me to learn a new instrument? There are positives in everything

Since then, I've been given medication and I'm feeling completely transformed - I've started baking and playing piano again, as well as jamming on my uke!

ReputationRep:
    Yep definitely!

As someone whose is particularly sensitive to emotions, I often turn my attention to music or art when I'm depressed or stressed. It truly gets your mind off things.

Creativity is absolutely a huge part of my life and I really turn to art when I need a break. The wonderful thing when you are creative such as drawing or composing, is that (as long as it's not exam/coursework!) you really cannot be wrong. This freedom can allow you to put everything you feel onto the page. For me, personally, art is a distraction from the real-life issues, usually being school, which can build up in my mind and really affect my well-being. When I'm concentrating on something I have a true passion for, I feel able to just forget everything around me and can spend up to 5 hours straight just painting what I want.

As for music, I play the piano, but I can't remember a day that I haven't sung. I think, for me, learning and singing songs has become a way of me becoming creative with the emotions I want to put across to the world. The majority of the music I listen to is from musical theatre, so I often sing what songs I feel I can relate to and the characters whose positions I feel in. Perhaps it even helps me release those emotions and tears at times, when I just need to let everything out to feel a weight lifted off my shoulders.

ReputationRep:
    yh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUZd-bpXkxA

ReputationRep:
    music is a big part of my life- I played a trumpet at school and was in a brass band which I hadn't realised - made me feel like i was part of the community. I had to move to a different area so my trumpet playing days were over. Life took over and i became quite withdrawn and sometimes depressed. 20 years down the line I picked up my trumpet and joined a brass band! since then I've learnt to play a violin, ukelele and now i'm learning to play a guitar! I missed music for so long its like i'm catching up! I'm learning new things all the time, which has a positive effect on my mental health, achieving something, and being part of a band enables me to feel part of that community again. Before, I've always felt like I never really fit in anywhere- now I have several avenues to explore! And to be honest I can't play each instrument perfectly because it's early days, but i've been humbled by folks opinions / applauses when I play/sing etc - which also has a positive effect. I'm sure there are some horrid comments too lol but I don't hear them! either way- learning to play an instrument takes your mind off food, addictions, habits and sensless TV- surely thats got to be a good thing right?

ReputationRep:
    Music is life. Sometimes it can totally change my mood, and when I'm already happy and I listen to certain types of music it makes me feel even happier, sometimes euphoric.

With me, when I'm in a depressing mood, I would listen to sad, depressing songs; this way, I find ways to relate and although it makes me emotional, it is a way for me to let all my feelings out and its a way to let go. So, what am saying is I believe music does help and it has helped me overcome a lot of things!

ReputationRep:
    I can't keep away from my headphones! I get the train to school and during exam time I love listening to some calming tunes to prepare me. Just love music iefnieubfewfbiwefbwefewf

ReputationRep:
    Yes, absolutely.

Whenever I need motivation to well before exams or when I'm stressed, I listen to this kind of music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUVzcJoKxnM

When I want work to be done quickly, I listen to some high tempo DnB music. It works really well for me : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRXPvOiWXhA
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I definitely use music to lift my mood. I used to play piano and violin loads and piano was my main form of self-expression. Due to stuff that happened at uni, playing either of my instruments is now too painful and anxiety-inducing, so I've given both up completely. But I still use my iTunes playlists to bolster my mood when needed :yep: I have various different playlists for inducing/calming various different moods/mental states :musicus:

ReputationRep:
    Music has definitely helped me a lot. I'll often listen to music that links to how I'm feeling, or want to feel; if I really don't want to get out of bed I'll put an upbeat song on to make me feel more awake, or if I want to wind down for the day I'll listen to chilled acoustic music. If I'm feeling stressed I can always pick up my ukulele or guitar or go play on the piano and it just helps me to forget my troubles for a while by playing and singing (especially cause you need to breathe to sing!) and I've made brilliant friends who've helped me discover new bands because we connected over our love for music. Lyrics and tune can be so powerful together and songs can express feelings and emotions in ways that nothing else can, as well as transporting you back to a time in your life when a song describes it so well.
    But yes, music is such a brilliant thing and it can have such an impact on our lives, it definitely helped me feel more able to face the world when I had depression and now if I get hit with a really bad wave of anxiety a song can be the perfect escape.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Welcome to the official BBC Radio 1: The Surgery forum. This forum is a chance for you to ask your questions and join the discussion here, you may even get a chance to get involved live on air.

Listen to the show live here

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.