The Student Room Group
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website

Exam results

I am a first year student? On one of my modules I got FREN , what does this mean? does it mean I am unable to go to second year?
Hey AP20,

I've done a quick search for you regarding the FREN result classification.

Sadly, this is what came up:

FREN Fail, re-enrol. The student has failed to meet the minimum pass criteria for the module and the Module Board will permit re-enrolment, either with or without reassessment of elements of the module that have already been assessed and passed. Re-enrolment is not available at any stage on repeating a module which has been passed, unless there are agreed extenuating circumstances.

It does look like you'll be able to re-enroll on the module however. I'd suggest discussing the result with your personal tutor or module leader to talk through what options you may have.

I've also found an archived thread on here with someone who had a similar situation to yourself, which I hope may help:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3496857

All the best,

David
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website
Reply 2
However does that mean I have repeat first year? again?
Reply 3
Does that mean i have to re-do first year again or just the module and go to second year?
Original post by David Trebus
Hey AP20,

I've done a quick search for you regarding the FREN result classification.

Sadly, this is what came up:

FREN Fail, re-enrol. The student has failed to meet the minimum pass criteria for the module and the Module Board will permit re-enrolment, either with or without reassessment of elements of the module that have already been assessed and passed. Re-enrolment is not available at any stage on repeating a module which has been passed, unless there are agreed extenuating circumstances.

It does look like you'll be able to re-enroll on the module however. I'd suggest discussing the result with your personal tutor or module leader to talk through what options you may have.

I've also found an archived thread on here with someone who had a similar situation to yourself, which I hope may help:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3496857

All the best,

David
Original post by AP20
However does that mean I have repeat first year? again?

You have to re-enrol on the failed module. Your course could well be one in which you have to pass 120 credits to proceed to the second year - which essentially means you have to pass ALL first-year modules before you can go on to the second year. So you will have to re-enrol on the failed module, and probably take that, and just that in the next academic year - if you pass it, you can step back onto the course and start the second year.

You will also probably be charged for this repeat module. Look on StudyNet and search for 'Charging for repeat modules'.
Hey AP20,

Honestly, I'm not entirely sure. As it's just one module and in year one, you may be able to just repeat it in addition to your year 2 modules. It does depend on individual circumstances, the course etc.

I'd strongly recommend talking to your tutors about it though, as they'll be able to give you much better advice than me.

All the best and good luck,

David

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending