awesometmartin
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
1) Name one other way trees may lead to global warming - I said about the 'locked up' carbon and how it's released into the atmosphere
2)Left ventricle
3)Pulmonary vein
4)What's the use of valves - To prevent backflow of blood
I don't remember the rest but leave your answers
Gggg121
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What did you get for the blood cell question? I got that the body cells would shrink and lose water when the concentrated sports drink was drank as water moved out of the cell by osmosis !

(Original post by awesometmartin)
1) Name one other way trees may lead to global warming - I said about the 'locked up' carbon and how it's released into the atmosphere
2)Left ventricle
3)Pulmonary vein
Pratikattwal
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Gggg121)
What did you get for the blood cell question? I got that the body cells would shrink and lose water when the concentrated sports drink was drank as water moved out of the cell by osmosis !
I wrote they would become inefficient due to swelling
awesometmartin
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gggg121)
Oh no, I said the blood cells would burst would that count??
haseebj49
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I wrote that : because of diffusion, the concentration would increase in the cell. I was confused because they didn't mention the concentration of what so I didn't include anything about osmosis 😑

Posted from TSR Mobile
allude741
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Oh no, I said the blood cells would burst would that count??
I don't think so because water would move out of the cell. Not into the cell.
Ifailedagain
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I put that water moves out of cell by osmosis due to higher concentration in cell compared to drink
Nudeshot
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
2)Left ventricle
3)Pulmonary vein
It was aorta not pulmonary vein
Domsebhill
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
2)Left ventricle
3)Pulmonary vein
pretty sure its the aorta??
MMJ007
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Ifailedagain)
I put that water moves out of cell by osmosis due to higher concentration in cell compared to drink
Yeah but the cell had a conc of 280 and the drink was 480
eur0visi0n
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
2)Left ventricle
3)Pulmonary vein
Hmm... for 1) I put machinery to remove the trees and for 3) I put aorta..
Nervous now!! I found B2 a breeze compared to B3 which is terrifiying but I suppose the exam board makes B3 harder on purpose..
awesometmartin
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nudeshot)
It was aorta not pulmonary vein
It showed the one going in in the left atrium
Domsebhill
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It showed the one going in in the left atrium
nah man it was the one going out
MoTheCucumber
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by MMJ007)
I'm not sure of the truth in this, but I wrote:

Due to the sports drink having a higher concentration than the red blood cells, the sports drink particles moved through the red blood cell's partially permeable membrane and into the cell by osmosis (going along the concentration gradient). This caused the red blood cell to swell and expand, as it gains the sports drink particles, to the point of potential bursting.

I can't make sense of this, becuause the diagrams seem to contradict the explaination: http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/guide...gk7/revision/5
Stevie patten
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Domsebhill)
pretty sure its the aorta??
defo was Aorta
Stevie patten
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by MMJ007)
The water concentration in the cell was more dilute than in sorts drink, water moved out of the cell through semi permeable membrane by osmosis. i think?
geffo123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
2)Left ventricle
3)Pulmonary vein
For Q3, It was aorta not pulmonary vein
Stevie patten
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by MoTheCucumber)
I'm not sure of the truth in this, but I wrote:

Due to the sports drink having a higher concentration than the red blood cells, the sports drink particles moved through the red blood cell's partially permeable membrane and into the cell by osmosis (going along the concentration gradient). This caused the red blood cell to swell and expand, as it gains the sports drink particles, to the point of potential bursting.

I can't make sense of this, becuause the diagrams seem to contradict the explaination: http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/guide...gk7/revision/5
The water concentration wasn lower inside the cell, causing water to move out, as water moves out the cell looses mass. If the cells were placed in pure water, then water would be drawn into the cell causing it to burst.
Harrison.B 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by haseeb_jarral786)
I wrote that : because of diffusion, the concentration would increase in the cell. I was confused because they didn't mention the concentration of what so I didn't include anything about osmosis 😑

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's exactly what I thought. They never said what the concentration was of, it could have been ions, glucose, water anything. That's the only question I had very little clue as to the answer.

Edit: it definitely was Aorta not pulmonary vein, I remember the arrow facing out not going in.
iLegend123
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by haseeb_jarral786)

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Harrison.B 15)
That's exactly what I thought. They never said what the concentration was of, it could have been ions, glucose, water anything. That's the only question I had very little clue as to the answer.
The concentration of the drink is the ions and glucose. If you think about it, concentration of the 'drink' can't be water. Water moves out because the ions it is a lower concentration outside.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (370)
67.27%
No (180)
32.73%

Watched Threads