AQA New Spec Specimen Paper Grade Boundaries (A Level) Watch

Padstowbay
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
After doing both Paper 1 specimen papers (Which I thought were pretty hard) Im wondering if anyone has an idea what the grade boundaries would have been for the specimen papers? Or failing that, what you got so we can compare whats a good mark or not.
rayofsunshine98
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My teachers worked on these: (marks out of 300)

90% - A* - 270
80% - A - 240
70% - B - 210
60% - C - 180
50% - D - 150
40% - E - 120

But I only got in the 60s percentage wise (so a C on this) but i got an A at AS, so we expect that it'll probably be lower than this in terms of the real grade boundaries.
tangled23
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
really hope they are low. My school used 85 for an A* I think the boundaries for a and a* will be roughly the same as previous years but it might be easier to get a B if you get what i mean? Ahh so scared for tuesday!
Padstowbay
Rep:
?
Honestly I would be surprised if they were anywhere near as high as 90% A*, I'm pretty sure those are the 'default' grade boundaries so to speak. Over the last few years chemistry has had below 80% for an A, and with it being a new spec and no ISA I think they will be lower
rayofsunshine98
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Padstowbay)
Honestly I would be surprised if they were anywhere near as high as 90% A*, I'm pretty sure those are the 'default' grade boundaries so to speak. Over the last few years chemistry has had below 80% for an A, and with it being a new spec and no ISA I think they will be lower
(Original post by tangled23)
really hope they are low. My school used 85 for an A* I think the boundaries for a and a* will be roughly the same as previous years but it might be easier to get a B if you get what i mean? Ahh so scared for tuesday!
Well on the basis last summer at AS on the new spec an A was 64% I would say that we're looking at no more than 75% for an A* if the papers are roughly the same level of difficulty. I'm actually dreading Tuesday though, not going to lie. My teacher made me do a paper 1 mock like 20 mins after a real maths A level exam and I was so tired i didnt even make 70% - and probably about 10 marks of that i didnt get i actually knew, i was too tired. Not going to lie though, it's damaged my confidence a lot.
tangled23
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by rayofsunshine98)
Well on the basis last summer at AS on the new spec an A was 64% I would say that we're looking at no more than 75% for an A* if the papers are roughly the same level of difficulty. I'm actually dreading Tuesday though, not going to lie. My teacher made me do a paper 1 mock like 20 mins after a real maths A level exam and I was so tired i didnt even make 70% - and probably about 10 marks of that i didnt get i actually knew, i was too tired. Not going to lie though, it's damaged my confidence a lot.
Yes very true the grade boundaries for last year were very low hopefully the same for this year? do you know what we need for an a* like if we need an a* in all 3 papers to get an a* overall?
Padstowbay
Rep:
?
I think alot of people have found the specimen papers difficult tbh, though It would be interesting to know if the people on here did.
rayofsunshine98
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by tangled23)
Yes very true the grade boundaries for last year were very low hopefully the same for this year? do you know what we need for an a* like if we need an a* in all 3 papers to get an a* overall?
It's done on the sum total of your marks from the three papers. So they will total up everyone's marks from the three papers and then set the boundary so that approximately the same proportion of students get the grades that they would have done on the old spec. So for example, normally about the top 10% of candidates get an A*, so they will work out where 10% of the candidates got more than and set the grade boundary there. So you could be weaker on one paper and still get an A* overall
tangled23
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by rayofsunshine98)
It's done on the sum total of your marks from the three papers. So they will total up everyone's marks from the three papers and then set the boundary so that approximately the same proportion of students get the grades that they would have done on the old spec. So for example, normally about the top 10% of candidates get an A*, so they will work out where 10% of the candidates got more than and set the grade boundary there. So you could be weaker on one paper and still get an A* overall
thank you!
AdamWallisjr
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Just did the paper 1 (specimen set 1)... Got 72/91 - How screwed am I???
Gerry-Atricks
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by AdamWallisjr)
Just did the paper 1 (specimen set 1)... Got 72/91 - How screwed am I???
dont be that guy
AdamWallisjr
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by glad-he-ate-her)
dont be that guy
Don't tell me what guy to be. Thank you.
Gerry-Atricks
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Don't tell me what guy to be. Thank you.
72/91 is an A likely A*
And you knew that
AdamWallisjr
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
72/91 is an A likely A*
And you knew that
EZ am i right guyz? May as well get a A* on paper 1...Rdy for paper 3
Gerry-Atricks
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
EZ am i right guyz? May as well get a A* on paper 1...Rdy for paper 3
Lmao good luck
Paper 3 is hell (for edexcel)
AdamWallisjr
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Lmao good luck
Paper 3 is hell (for edexcel)
Well I should go and do some last minute revision....See you later my friend
Gerry-Atricks
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well I should go and do some last minute revision....See you later my friend
Not if i see you first
AdamWallisjr
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Not if i see you first
Wow, this guy is trying to scare the competition? Try to make me fail so grade boundaries are lower? What a snake....Even his name....
Examdoctor
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
not useful as we now use 1-9
rayofsunshine98
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Examdoctor)
not useful as we now use 1-9
Not for the new a levels we dont

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (132)
18.67%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (72)
10.18%
No I am happy with my course choice (402)
56.86%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (101)
14.29%

Watched Threads