Have your say: Help! My exam was hard Watch

Fox Corner
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Here's where you can post a comment about our Help! My exam was hard article.

Read the full Help! My exam was hard article and join in the discussion by posting a message below.
Luke7456
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I had one exam which was much harder then I would expect I believe I still got a reasonably strong A in it but it was not the picnic I expected.

What I regret is I missed the chance to absolutely nail these exam because I could have got 5-6 more marks with better exam technique I had pointed out they would never ask that that would be ridiculous then got made to look like a total idiot when it was the first question on the paper.

I wasted too much time on this question and could have focused on other parts of the paper instead I ran out of time and missed the opportunity to tackle about 6-8 marks of questions of which I would have taken at least 4 marks.

I think better exam technique is to break the questions down to their mark equivalents. Keep a strict limit of X amount of time per mark and move on once that time is up to the next bit.

I think it makes sense to allow extra time to cover the last bits you could not tackle to.

EG I do Maths A level and Maths exams are 90 minutes. I have decided to allow myself 1 minute per mark. If I can not solve the problem in that time I move on to the next marks or questions etc.

this allows me 15 minutes to then go back on myself for problems I could not solve and also allows me the opportunity to move onto questions I will find easier.
Some questions will be solvable in less then the allocated time with this method for example part C of question 5 in S1 Yutos thingy was real quick to solve I think I had solved the problem in two minutes when it was a 5 marker which if I ha not fallen behind on time would have allowed me an extra 3 minutes to focus elsewhere.

from now on in all my exams I will apply this technique.
wolfieblob
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If it was hard I'd just walk away thinking 'well I probably messed up but at least it's over', then I'd focus on my other exams and maybe lower my expectations for my results a bit.
username2052983
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Had a horrible exam last week but can't do much except try harder for the next one. Although it's frustrating when you've worked so hard all year only to sit a paper that makes you feel like a failure
Retired_Messiah
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
the exams were hard but so was I
kazzykat95
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Worst comes to the worst, there's pretty much always the option of resitting the exam.
Retired_Messiah
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Oh no this article is back. Now everybody can see a weird post I made when I was probably drunk
MinaBee
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I love this :^_^:

If you're worrying about an exam, don't. Panicking and over-analysing everything you wrote down during the exam will not change anything. What's done is done and chances are you've done miles better than you think.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Jun '19
  • Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Bloomsbury Undergraduate
    Thu, 27 Jun '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (50)
23.7%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (68)
32.23%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (43)
20.38%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (18)
8.53%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (32)
15.17%

Watched Threads