The Student Room Group

SRA

Hi I was planning on starting a law degree this September with the intention of entering into a law career after.
A few months ago I received a cannabis warning, not a caution, when I just had to sign a paper to accept the cannabis warning. Would this come up on an SRA check as it isn't an official caution or anything and would this make it hard to get a TC? I only want to study law with the intention of practising it after I finish so would be useful to know.
Thanks
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by J-SP
The SRA doesn't check as such. All applicants have to declare any issues that might question whether they would pass the suitability test.

Unless things change with the SRA between now and you looking to practice, it is unlikely this will automatically mean the SRA will not allow to to practice based on this alone. You would probably need to provide some form of personal references that can vouch for your character, and also show that this was a one off/that you are a reformed character. By not declaring it, you could put yourself at greater risk than if you did.

I've seen people been able to go ahead with their legal training with a lot worse than this though.

Thanks for your reply.
So does the SRA work by it either allows you to practise or not practise? And do firms who offer TCs get to see a report by the SRA where it will say that I received a cannibis warning or will they simply see allowed to practise/not allowed to practise?
Reply 2
Original post by J-SP
Yes - you'd either pass the suitability test or you wouldn't.

You probably want to read this:
http://www.sra.org.uk/solicitors/handbook/suitabilitytest/content.page

You would probably want to make your firm aware - you may need their support with the character reference for instance.

Thanks for your answer, I just have one more question. I was a while ago arrested for driving a few mg above the driving limit, upon getting to the station I was breathalysed there and found to below the limit so released without charge. Would this have to be declared to SRA and would this hinder my chances?
Reply 3
Original post by Am_3
Thanks for your answer, I just have one more question. I was a while ago arrested for driving a few mg above the driving limit, upon getting to the station I was breathalysed there and found to below the limit so released without charge. Would this have to be declared to SRA and would this hinder my chances?

Apologies for rambling, typing on my phone.

I have recent experience with the SRA's character and suitability test and my advice is:

1. Read the character and suitability guidelines on the SRA's website and apply to be assessed before embarking on your university journey. It will cost you £100 for the application and about £10 for a subject access request from the police.

2. If you decide to apply, line up two references who are willing to attest to your integrity. Cannabis possession isn't the end of the world but you and your references will have to convince the SRA that: a) your drug use isn't habitual and therefore there is no risk of use escalating; and, b) you understand possession is illegal but you have learnt from the experience and don't regularly flout rules.

3. Read case law on SRA admission, especially Mulla and use to advocate for suitability.

4. If you are not covered by the filtering rules, declare spent and unspent convictions and cautions.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending