Why do K-Pop fans... Watch

FopePrancis
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Have such weird usernames, like the amount of "jimins-ASSets" or "sehyunsdingdong" I've seen is getting ridiculous. I never see anyone who appreciates a different genre of music do something similar? (Or perhaps I've never come across it.) For example, I've never seen a Drake fan with the username "drizzyshotdog" or "drizzysjellyjam".

Additionally, whenever I see a comment on Youtube by a Kpop fan, another Kpop fan will comment something like "OMG ARMYYYY" or "WE'RE EVERYWHERE"... Um, okay? Is it that astonishing that another person values the same genre of music as you? Out of maybe 40 million K-pop listeners in the world, it's not that unlikely that you won't stumble across one on a social media platform.

But yeah, my main question was why the eccentric usernames?
FopePrancis
Rep:
?
By the way, I'm not trying to patronise or cause offence to anyone who likes K-pop. Good for you if you do.
Kvothe the Arcane
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by FopePrancis)
Have such weird usernames, like the amount of "jimins-ASSets" or "sehyunsdingdong" I've seen is getting ridiculous. I never see anyone who appreciates a different genre of music do something similar? (Or perhaps I've never come across it.) For example, I've never seen a Drake fan with the username "drizzyshotdog" or "drizzysjellyjam".

Additionally, whenever I see a comment on Youtube by a Kpop fan, another Kpop fan will comment something like "OMG ARMYYYY" or "WE'RE EVERYWHERE"... Um, okay? Is it that astonishing that another person values the same genre of music as you? Out of maybe 40 million K-pop listeners in the world, it's not that unlikely that you won't stumble across one on a social media platform.

But yeah, my main question was why the eccentric usernames?
I think it's a sign of youth. Weird fandoms for other genres of music exist. Have you never encountered the beyhive, the skeleton clique, MCRmy or little monsters?
Drostina
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
x
Moved this to 'Music' for you

I don't know and I kinda find K-pop weird, I don't like the genre :curious:
FopePrancis
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kvothe the Arcane)
I think it's a sign of youth. Weird fandoms for other genres of music exist. Have you never encountered the beyhive, the skeleton clique, MCRmy or little monsters?

I am aware of Beyoncé's Beyhive, yes, but that's just the name of the fandom, I've never seen a fan however call themselves something like "beyoncespopsicles" though. And I know of the Little Monsters. Not sure who the rest are though. :/
tgys44
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
theyre really cringy. Like super super cringy
FopePrancis
Rep:
?
(Original post by Steljoy)
Moved this to 'Music' for you

I don't know and I kinda find K-pop weird, I don't like the genre :curious:
I heard a couple of songs by Hyuna and 4Minute and it just made me really uncomfortable lmao.
FopePrancis
Rep:
?
(Original post by tgys44)
thank goodness someone agrees. I really don't understand this fad. I'm sure a lot the people who've jumped onto this K-pop bandwagon are just doing it to keep up with the trend, not because they actually like it.
em_lj
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am aware of Beyoncé's Beyhive, yes, but that's just the name of the fandom, I've never seen a fan however call themselves something like "beyoncespopsicles" though. And I know of the Little Monsters. Not sure who the rest are though. :/
Twenty Øne Piløts fans and My Chemical Romance fans. I'm both
FopePrancis
Rep:
?
Bump.
Drostina
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I heard a couple of songs by Hyuna and 4Minute and it just made me really uncomfortable lmao.
Same! They do make me uncomfortable

Spoiler:
Show

also, I find anime cringey too! (sorry anime fans )
FopePrancis
Rep:
?
Same! They do make me uncomfortable

Spoiler:
Show

also, I find anime cringey too! (sorry anime fans )

Aw, you just ruined our whole blossoming friendship over a mutual dislike of Kpop! I'm an extreme anime otaku lmao
Drostina
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Aw, you just ruined our whole blossoming friendship over a mutual dislike of Kpop! I'm an extreme anime otaku lmao
Ooooops

Forgive me Senpai :emo:
FopePrancis
Rep:
?
Ooooops

Forgive me Senpai :emo:
Oioi, very good, Kohai!
Sathnim
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by tgys44)
Tell me about plus even the name "K pop" is cringy asf. I mean like American pop culture doesn't call themselves "A pop"... Lmao
FML :/
FopePrancis
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sathnim)
Tell me about plus even the name "K pop" is cringy asf. I mean like American pop culture doesn't call themselves "A pop"... Lmao
FML :/
Nah, it's not that, it's the fandom. Do they even read through the stuff they post? It's actually painful to read. "Jimin's ASSets." Urgh. Not even original m8.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (149)
18.51%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (79)
9.81%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (137)
17.02%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (114)
14.16%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (79)
9.81%
How can I be the best version of myself? (247)
30.68%

Watched Threads