alde123
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm stuck on the question below:

N2(g) + 3H2(g) ⇌ 2NH3(g) ∆H = –92 kJ mol–1

The chemist adds more nitrogen to the equilibrium mixture.The temperature is kept at 300 K and the volume at 5.00 dm3. The chemist predicts that the addition of nitrogen will increase the proportion of H2(g) that reacts.

I answered in terms of both Kc and le Chatelier, but the markscheme says to ignore le Chatelier responses. Why is that?

Thanks
Kyle03
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Did you have to calculate Kc beforehand? Also was your explanation correct when describing in terms of Kc
alde123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kyle03)
Did you have to calculate Kc beforehand? Also was your explanation correct when describing in terms of Kc
Yes to both, but there was also a question about applying le chatelier's principle before.
Adam_1999
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Kc will remain the same because the temperature stays constant. Temperature is the only factor that affects Kc. This therefore means the equilibrium position will not change. This is why talking about le chatelier's principle is wrong.

Could you post the full question and mark scheme? You only posted the chemist's prediction.
alde123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Adam_1999)
Kc will remain the same because the temperature stays constant. Temperature is the only factor that affects Kc. This therefore means the equilibrium position will not change. This is why talking about le chatelier's principle is wrong.

Could you post the full question and mark scheme? You only posted the chemist's prediction.
Other questions:
Ammonia, NH3, is manufactured by the chemical industry from nitrogen and hydrogen gases. N2(g) + 3H2(g) ⇌ 2NH3(g) ∆H = –92 kJ mol–1
- An iron catalyst is used which provides several benefits for sustainability.
- The chemical industry uses operational conditions that are different from the conditions predicted to give a maximum equilibrium yield.
(a) Use your understanding of Chemistry to explain the above statements.

(b) A research chemist investigates how the value of Kc changes with temperature. N2(g) + 3H2(g) ⇌ 2NH3(g) ∆H = –92 kJ mol–1
- The chemist mixes 0.800 mol of N2(g) and 2.400 mol of H2(g) and leaves the mixture to reach equilibrium at 300 ºC.
- The total volume of the equilibrium mixture is 5.00 dm3 .
- At equilibrium, 0.360 mol of NH3(g) has formed.

Calculate the value of Kc under these conditions.

Mark-scheme for this question:

IGNORE le Chatelier responses
Each marking point is independent
- Kc Kc does not change (with pressure/ concentration)
- Comparison of conc terms with more N2 [N2] increases OR denominator/bottom of Kc expression increases
- yield of NH3 linked to Kc Chemist is correct AND denominator decreases OR numerator increases to restore equilibrium Kc
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (17)
20.99%
I'm not sure (2)
2.47%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (22)
27.16%
I have already dropped out (3)
3.7%
I'm not a current university student (37)
45.68%

Watched Threads