Do you do old spec for Edexcel AS Maths if you retake the year? Watch

ScrewTheExams
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey, I was wondering if I happen retake year 12 again will I be forced to do the new edexcel specification for maths (starting from 2017, exams from 2018) or would I do the old one? Personally I find the old one much easier and the questions are pretty similar but new one looks harder.
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ScrewTheExams)
Hey, I was wondering if I happen retake year 12 again will I be forced to do the new edexcel specification for maths (starting from 2017, exams from 2018) or would I do the old one? Personally I find the old one much easier and the questions are pretty similar but new one looks harder.
If you are starting the year again with a plan to take your A level exams in summer 2019 then yes you will have to do the new A level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ScrewTheExams
Rep:
?
(Original post by gdunne42)
If you are starting the year again with a plan to take your A level exams in summer 2019 then yes you will have to do the new A level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Crap
sulaimanali
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nah, if ur going into year 13 in September and just want to retake the exams then u do old spec..
gdunne42
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by sulaimanali)
Nah, if ur going into year 13 in September and just want to retake the exams then u do old spec..
It is not quite clear if the person is intending to repeat year 12 or just retake some year 12 AS exams.
It will be possible to resit old specification AS and do the A2 exams in summer 2018.
It will not be possible to resit old AS in summer 2018 and then complete the A2 in summer 2019.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ScrewTheExams
Rep:
?
It is not quite clear if the person is intending to repeat year 12 or just retake some year 12 AS exams.
It will be possible to resit old specification AS and do the A2 exams in summer 2018.
It will not be possible to resit old AS in summer 2018 and then complete the A2 in summer 2019.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That sucks.

I'm speaking about retaking year 12. Is it possible for me to e.g. retake 3 AS levels and do A2 maths? I think I could get an A or A* if I did A2 maths regardless whether I retake year 12 or not so it would be a waste if I get forced to do the new spec which is harder and I don't know half of the AS specimen paper for the new spec, where as I can get 100% in the old one.
gdunne42
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
That sucks.

I'm speaking about retaking year 12. Is it possible for me to e.g. retake 3 AS levels and do A2 maths? I think I could get an A or A* if I did A2 maths regardless whether I retake year 12 or not so it would be a waste if I get forced to do the new spec which is harder and I don't know half of the AS specimen paper for the new spec, where as I can get 100% in the old one.
no reason you can't from an examiner point of view but your school/college may not be able to timetable lessons to support it. you'd have to discuss it with them.
ScrewTheExams
Rep:
?
no reason you can't from an examiner point of view but your school/college may not be able to timetable lessons to support it. you'd have to discuss it with them.
Alright, thanks!
ScrewTheExams
Rep:
?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, I'd like to ask if you are sure that edexcel do not make one extra a2 exams in 2019 for all the people (like me) that may resit year 12 and have to do maths over again? My friend claims that retakers can still do old spec. Are you sure about this? Thanks!

(I'm asking in case my sixth form will not allow me to do A2 maths but will force me to do AS maths again if I retake year 12.)
gdunne42
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey, I'd like to ask if you are sure that edexcel do not make one extra a2 exams in 2019 for all the people (like me) that may resit year 12 and have to do maths over again? My friend claims that retakers can still do old spec. Are you sure about this? Thanks!

(I'm asking in case my sixth form will not allow me to do A2 maths but will force me to do AS maths again if I retake year 12.)
If you have done the A2 exams in 2018 you could resit them in 2019.
If you retake year 12 and do Only AS exams in 2018, then you cannot do the A2 exams for the first time in 2019.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rubyx
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
is there a new spec for a level maths edexcel in 2018????
gdunne42
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Rubyx)
is there a new spec for a level maths edexcel in 2018????
There is a new specification for Edexcel A level maths in the UK that begins teaching in September 2017 with first AS and full A level exams in summer 2018. The further maths specification has also been updated with AS exams in 2018 and full A level in 2019.

Edexcel international A level is not affected by this change.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (150)
59.29%
No I haven't decided yet (58)
22.92%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed