A_Winter
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi everyone
I'm in year 10 and will be taking a GCSE English Language mock in two weeks.
I am confident of securing an A/A* but I feel that the speaking part will bring my grade down. Although I enjoy presenting, there is one problem:

I am an introvert.

I want to score high in the speaking exam, but I can't because of the reason above. I can speak confidently in front of friends and family, but for some reason I cannot muster up the ability to project my voice in public areas (my voice is almost silent in public areas) and I hate it.

How do I project my voice so that I can demonstrate my knowledge of what I'm going to be presenting to the class?
(Also, I know it's only a mock, but I'll need to solve this problem prior to my actual exam)
Any help is greatly appreciated!

TL;DR: Predicted A/A* in English Language, but not very confident of securing a high grade in the speaking exam due to me being an introvert. How do I solve this?
username2552331
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by A_Winter)
Hi everyone
I'm in year 10 and will be taking a GCSE English Language mock in two weeks.
I am confident of securing an A/A* but I feel that the speaking part will bring my grade down. Although I enjoy presenting, there is one problem:

I am an introvert.

I want to score high in the speaking exam, but I can't because of the reason above. I can speak confidently in front of friends and family, but for some reason I cannot muster up the ability to project my voice in public areas (my voice is almost silent in public areas) and I hate it.

How do I project my voice so that I can demonstrate my knowledge of what I'm going to be presenting to the class?
(Also, I know it's only a mock, but I'll need to solve this problem prior to my actual exam)
Any help is greatly appreciated!

TL;DR: Predicted A/A* in English Language, but not very confident of securing a high grade in the speaking exam due to me being an introvert. How do I solve this?

I do not know if it has changed, but I am in Year 11 and the speaking exam did not contribute to your English grade but is a separate grade - you get a distinction, merit or pass.

Also, do not worry too much about your voice or how well you speak. I was worried about it too (I am probably more shy than you), but somehow managed to get a distinction because what I talked about was considered "mature".
A_Winter
Rep:
?
(Original post by Exotoxin)
I do not know if it has changed, but I am in Year 11 and the speaking exam did not contribute to your English grade but is a separate grade - you get a distinction, merit or pass.
Yes, you're right. I should have clarified that in the real exam, I'll be given a distinction, merit or pass. In the mock, however, I'm given an A*-G grade (don't know why).
A_Winter
Rep:
?
Anyone else have any ideas?
smiffylauren77
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I did mine last year, unfortunately we never got to do a mock so didn't have chance to improve. My teacher gave me a high merit for doing a 'mature' topic and answering questions really well, but I stared at the floor too much to get a distinction.
I can be quite introverted myself. I found it easier to ask my friends to sit where I could see them for support, and try looking at the opposite wall (if there is a clock or something this can be good) to take your focus off the other people. If you're looking up it should naturally project your voice a bit more.
If you do a topic you know about and believe in I think it makes answering questions easier. Your teacher should be able to help you as well. Just try and remember everyone is in the same position - even some of the loudest people are insecure about doing this kind of thing. I'd also suggest trying to go somewhere in the middle of your class if you get any choice in when you do it, waiting until the end only makes it worse because people are bored and won't engage no matter how good you are.

Best of luck for it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
A_Winter
Rep:
?
(Original post by smiffylauren77)
I did mine last year, unfortunately we never got to do a mock so didn't have chance to improve. My teacher gave me a high merit for doing a 'mature' topic and answering questions really well, but I stared at the floor too much to get a distinction.
I can be quite introverted myself. I found it easier to ask my friends to sit where I could see them for support, and try looking at the opposite wall (if there is a clock or something this can be good) to take your focus off the other people. If you're looking up it should naturally project your voice a bit more.
If you do a topic you know about and believe in I think it makes answering questions easier. Your teacher should be able to help you as well. Just try and remember everyone is in the same position - even some of the loudest people are insecure about doing this kind of thing. I'd also suggest trying to go somewhere in the middle of your class if you get any choice in when you do it, waiting until the end only makes it worse because people are bored and won't engage no matter how good you are.

Best of luck for it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you for the advice. I'm the 6th person to present my speech out of 27, so that's good in terms of getting it out of the way I guess.
I'm also arguing, in my speech, why social media doesn't make you anti-social. This is something that my teacher thinks is challenging so as long as I plan well and present in a confident manner, I should get my target grade of a distinction in the real exam.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (225)
43.35%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (58)
11.18%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (40)
7.71%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (109)
21%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (59)
11.37%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (28)
5.39%

Watched Threads