Advise me preparing for SAT and TSA exams

Watch
ahnafakeef
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello everyone.

I will have to take the SAT I and SAT Maths in addition to the TSA exam to be able to make a competitive application.

Could you please recommend me books or practice materials for these two exams? I simply need lessons on the topics the questions are based on, and sample question papers to practice.

Thank you.
tchaikovskyed
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Tbh I relied very heavily on Khan Academy when prepping for my SAT I, and I would also recommend buying the supplementary books published by the Princeton Review (?) They're the yellow books with fancy covers, and are subject specific. They also have 3-4 practice papers at the back!

Posted from TSR Mobile
ahnafakeef
Rep:
?
(Original post by tchaikovskyed)
Tbh I relied very heavily on Khan Academy when prepping for my SAT I, and I would also recommend buying the supplementary books published by the Princeton Review (?) They're the yellow books with fancy covers, and are subject specific. They also have 3-4 practice papers at the back!
Posted from TSR Mobile
Did you learn the mathematical concepts from Khan Academy as well? Or did you use it simply for the practice tests?

Are the maths topics covered in Khan Academy's High School Math section the same as the ones that the SAT is based on?

I need a site or a book that will introduce me to and explain the basic concepts within the topics that are covered in the SAT. Would the Princeton Review SAT Guide suffice in that regard? If not, recommendations would be appreciated.

Thank you.
antetokounmpo
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I personally used the famous Blue Book but that was for the previous iteration of the SAT. I'm not sure how good is the official study guide for the new SAT, so you should probably head to collegeconfidential for the latest updates on this.

If you take A Level Maths, you should be able to score a perfect 800 on the SATII Maths test. The only supplements I used were the practice tests on the cracksat website.

In regards to the TSA, I read the John Butterworth thinking skills book and did every single one of the official past years. Also, it is crucial that you understand every mistake you make and the same is true for the SATs as well.
ahnafakeef
Rep:
?
(Original post by antetokounmpo)
I personally used the famous Blue Book but that was for the previous iteration of the SAT. I'm not sure how good is the official study guide for the new SAT, so you should probably head to collegeconfidential for the latest updates on this.

If you take A Level Maths, you should be able to score a perfect 800 on the SATII Maths test. The only supplements I used were the practice tests on the cracksat website.

In regards to the TSA, I read the John Butterworth thinking skills book and did every single one of the official past years. Also, it is crucial that you understand every mistake you make and the same is true for the SATs as well.
Reddit recommended College Panda SAT Math for the math section of SAT I. It is supposed to have all the concepts explained with examples. So I've ordered that already. Hopefully it will serve my purpose. Haven't received any recommendations for the math subject test though.

See, that's the thing. I didn't do A levels, which is why I'm not familiar with the math curriculum of A levels. I'm sure I'm familiar with most (if not all) of the concepts taught in A levels, but I need to ensure that I'm fully aware of everything that the test could put up against me. Not to mention, I need to brush up on everything from scratch. So a comprehensive book would really help, both for the SAT I and the SAT Math subject test.

I've shortlisted six books for the TSA and I plan on starting with Think You Can Think. Butterworth is already on that shortlist, and I do plan on exploring and covering as much ground as possible in terms of both the TSA and the SAT exams. So I'll probably end up going through Butterworth as well as a few others.

Idk why, but I can't seem to be able to access college confidential. It's been happening for a while now, and I don't see a workaround for this problem.

Suggestions and recommendations in terms of books and test preparation (or anything else that I need to concern myself with) is always welcome and more than appreciated.

Thank you very much.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (120)
14.34%
I'm not sure (36)
4.3%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (253)
30.23%
I have already dropped out (21)
2.51%
I'm not a current university student (407)
48.63%

Watched Threads