How long can Theresa May last as PM?

Watch
Poll: When will May leave?
She’ll not see July (9)
18%
By the end of the summer she’ll be gone (11)
22%
Sept- Dec 2017 (18)
36%
2018 (6)
12%
She’ll survive to 2022 (6)
12%
I hate exams!
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
When will she go??
Shadowfire123
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by I hate exams!)
When will she go??
idek either
but i want her to resign too
Labour Lover
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
she cant survive till the end of summer hopefully Corbyn will be in before the end of the year, only rich ******s vote for Tories
MajorFader
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Won't last more than 2 months

She needs to go!!
username2324315
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
When I said "let's make June the end of May" I didn't mean we'd still keep the Tories in....!!!!!
shawn_o1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Imagine Corbyn doing the Brexit negotiations instead of a competent Tory. The EU would be having their Christmas early.
I'd rather the Tories stay in power and get the deal sorted, Parliament can then vote on it and if it's rejected, they give up and call another election.
DJKL
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Depends when the removal company have a short notice available day, I suspect weeks not months.
I hate exams!
Rep:
?
(Original post by shawn_o1)
Imagine Corbyn doing the Brexit negotiations instead of a competent Tory. The EU would be having their Christmas early.
I'd rather the Tories stay in power and get the deal sorted, Parliament can then vote on it and if it's rejected, they give up and call another election.
If Theresa can lose a poll lead of 20 points in a few weeks do you really think she can go up against the EU 27? They'll have a field day!

It took Theresa May a matter of days to change a key manifesto policy because she faced pressure, the idea that she will be able to get a good deal is absurd.

And to be honest I don't feel there are many Torys who could do much better? Boris- are you having a giggle?
DJKL
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by shawn_o1)
Don't know about that, the Labour Brexit team , when compared with Johnson, Davies and Fox did not look that bad to me re intellect or ability.
_NMcC_
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
2 months at a push.

The DUP won't make any deals easy for her.
Lellosadas
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I seriously doubt that. The Torys will hold a leadership election and Theresa May will be inclined to stay as at the interim. Hopefully, the Labour party under Corbyn will never enter government as we all know how Hollande's term ended.
(Original post by Labour Lover)
she cant survive till the end of summer hopefully Corbyn will be in before the end of the year, only rich ******s vote for Tories
Labour Lover
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Lellosadas)
I seriously doubt that. The Torys will hold a leadership election and Theresa May will be inclined to stay as at the interim. Hopefully, the Labour party under Corbyn will never enter government as we all know how Hollande's term ended.
if they hold another election then Labour will easily get in because we will see tories for what they really are
missedhit
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Why even bother creating a poll like this? Considering the widespread support for our PM, within her own party, and the lack of blame thrown at her means that she'll leave only if: (1) the coalition doesn't come to fruition and another GE is called (there'll probably be a fast-tracked leadership election unless majority chooses a new leader, probably Boris Johnson), (2) her advisers don't get fired (it seems that many Tory MPs blame them for this disastrous result), or (3) the EU makes a laughingstock out of the PM and the UK in a couple of days time when the Brexit negotiations commence. (1) can happen at any time really, even tomorrow, for (2) the PM has about a week to make a decision of some sort and (3) will be decided within a couple of days.

If everything goes well for the PM and the Tory-DUP coalition will come to fruition, it'll be interesting to see 10 MPs twisting the arm of the other 318.
Lellosadas
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Labour Lover, Theresa May won ~43% of the vote under a poor campaign. If a new election was re held, lets assume that previous mistakes of the past wont be repeated and a super majority will hold fruition.
I hate exams!
Rep:
?
Labour Lover, Theresa May won ~43% of the vote under a poor campaign. If a new election was re held, lets assume that previous mistakes of the past wont be repeated and a super majority will hold fruition.
Labour also won 40%, I don't think people will easily forget the dementia tax etc... I also don't think people will react well to the Torys cosying up to the DUP. I really don't think conservatives will win next election if it's held later this year.
missedhit
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

C'mon. People won't forget this disaster for a while. A re-run of the GE would be disastrous for Tories as more people would move towards Labour to allow them to form a coalition or win an outright majority, small and humble - something you couldn't and still can't say about Tories. I'm sure the key goal now is to keep DUP close by so that a re-run doesn't take place.
Oxcy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
i dont understand why people think tories are competent and Corbyn not. In seven weeks Corbyn built an unexpected momentum because hes a strong leader he wont be taken for a joke - despite the media painting a bad picture, he created a movement

Meanwhile, weak and wobbly lost some major seats, didnt get a majority, called an election that backfired, couldn't turn up to debates, uncosted manifesto and U turn queen. You tell me who's more competent, based on the evidence
Lellosadas
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yet she still won the popular vote and the seats in parliament despite the left wing bias of the BBC bar Paxman and if a new election was reheld under a better manifesto do you really believe Corbyn will win. I dont think people forgot the Brown disaster of 08-10 where he did not leave enough fiscal room to react to negative movements in the economy. Last time I checked, Labour was the most fiscally incompetent party in modern history by presiding on a non inflationary adjusted PSNB ex of £156 billion, rising unemployment (caused by the recession), crony capitalistic tendencies with respect to bail outs and following party politic hectics to divide the electorate such as the rise of the upper income tax by 10% despite raising less money as it is disincentive, the rich are mobile and can avoid tax (refer to Laffer curve).If Corbyn were to become a PM, he must advocate for a lower tax base by trading it by closing loop holes in the tax book and stand on a completely pro business platform to make up for the increase in the minimum wage. But I doubt it.
Oxcy
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by missedhit)
Why even bother creating a poll like this? Considering the widespread support for our PM, within her own party, and the lack of blame thrown at her means that she'll leave only if: (1) the coalition doesn't come to fruition and another GE is called (there'll probably be a fast-tracked leadership election unless majority chooses a new leader, probably Boris Johnson), (2) her advisers don't get fired (it seems that many Tory MPs blame them for this disastrous result), or (3) the EU makes a laughingstock out of the PM and the UK in a couple of days time when the Brexit negotiations commence. (1) can happen at any time really, even tomorrow, for (2) the PM has about a week to make a decision of some sort and (3) will be decided within a couple of days.

If everything goes well for the PM and the Tory-DUP coalition will come to fruition, it'll be interesting to see 10 MPs twisting the arm of the other 318.
Considering the PM already made a laughing stock out of herself, i don't think brussels is a problem. But, only time will tell - she hasn't reallt 'strengthened her hand' has she?
Oxcy
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yet she still won the popular vote and the seats in parliament despite the left wing bias of the BBC bar Paxman and if a new election was reheld under a better manifesto do you really believe Corbyn will win. I dont think people forgot the Brown disaster of 08-10 where he did not leave enough fiscal room to react to negative movements in the economy. Last time I checked, Labour was the most fiscally incompetent party in modern history by presiding on a non inflationary adjusted PSNB ex of £156 billion, rising unemployment (caused by the recession), crony capitalistic tendencies with respect to bail outs and following party politic hectics to divide the electorate such as the rise of the upper income tax by 10% despite raising less money as it is disincentive, the rich are mobile and can avoid tax (refer to Laffer curve).If Corbyn were to become a PM, he must advocate for a lower tax base by trading it by closing loop holes in the tax book and stand on a completely pro business platform to make up for the increase in the minimum wage. But I doubt it.
Despite the seat numbers, she marginally won, which is the problem. If her majority was strong enough she wouldn't look as much a laughing stock during negotiation - which is where i think her downfall is. She has a 2% majority. If she fails us again, that 2% could move anywhere very quickly
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (66)
66.67%
I don't have everything I need (33)
33.33%

Watched Threads