Edexcel History B- Transformation of Surgery Watch

eam0ss
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi I've got this exam on the 20th and I'm yet to revise for it since it's so source based- I was just wondering how anyone else is revising/ or has revised for it and has anyone got any tips (I'd love an A* on the paper)! Thanks
CinnamonSmol
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
bump
kanegcse
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by eam0ss)
Hi I've got this exam on the 20th and I'm yet to revise for it since it's so source based- I was just wondering how anyone else is revising/ or has revised for it and has anyone got any tips (I'd love an A* on the paper)! Thanks
Surgery before 1845  What were the Key problems? Explain.  What techniques were used?  How might people feel about having surgery in this period?  Describe the role of Barber surgeons.  What anaesthetics were available to use at the beginning of the 19th C? Dealing with Pain  Why was pain a problem in the 19th Century?  Why was speed needed? How did this cause further problems?  Explain the discovery of anaesthetics between 1799‐1850.  Explain the importance of the discovery of ether and chloroform.  What factors influenced Simpson – chance; genius and science.  Why did some people oppose the use of anaesthetics?  What was the argument for anaesthetics – Queen Victoria...? Dealing with Infection  Why was infection a problem?  How was Semmelweiss’ work a turning point in dealing with infection?  Describe Joseph Lister’s measures to reduce infection.  Who opposed Lister’s work and why? Dealing with Blood Loss  Explain how the problem of blood loss was overcome.  Identify the key stages in dealing with the problem of blood loss ‐ Landsteiner?  Explain how key factors played a part in solving the problem of blood loss. Factors influencing developments in surgery  War  Technology  Science  Chance  Communication  Religion  Government Key individuals  Ambroise Pare  James Simpson / John Snow  Ignaz Semmelweiss  Joseph Lister  Karl Landsteiner
kanegcse
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by eam0ss)
Types of questions you will be asked: Use the source Overlay to help with all of these questions –
which can be found here: http://www.homewood‐school.co.uk/sit...%20sheet_0.pdf
Question 1 (6 marks) This question is asking you to select evidence from the source to show evidence of a particular topic and explain what this shows about that topic.
 Make 2 supported inferences
‘They used huge marches’
I can infer that … because …
This suggests that… because…
Question 2 (8 marks) This question asks you explain what the purpose of the representation is by using the evidence from the representation and your own knowledge.
 Identify 3 or 4 pieces of evidence to show the opinion expressed in the representation.
 Draw inferences to explain what it is saying.
 Use the evidence and your knowledge of who wrote it or the time it was written in to explain why the representation was produced.
It shows that… /
Source B states ‘…….’
is saying… /
This suggests…
This is important because at the time…
Therefore it shows that the purpose is to…
Question 3 (10 marks)
This question will ask you to explain something so you must give reasons for it.  Give a reason from your own knowledge.
 Give examples from the source to show each reason.
 Use your own knowledge to explain the reason linking it to the time period.  Use own knowledge to provide additional reasons.
Source C states that ‘…….’
This suggests that one reason for…. was….
This was successful / unsuccessful / partially successful because… which shows they did this because…
The views held by… were… /
From my own knowledge I can say that…
Question 4 (10 marks) This questions asks you to assess ‘How reliable’ two pieces of evidence are.
Use the source evaluation sheets to help you with this question they can be found here: http://www.homewood‐ school.co.uk/sites/default/files/Analysing%20and%20Evaluating%20s ources.pdf  Use the sources evidence to show what they say about the topic of the Q.  How does (NOP + date) affect the accuracy, completeness and comprehensiveness of the point of view given?  Based on NOP + date analysis reach a judgement about how reliable the different views are. ‘Source D states that…’
and Source E contrasts / supports this and says ‘……’
This is accurate because from my own knowledge I know that…
It is from….. which is reliable in showing…
However, it’s not comprehensive as it does not show…. which was also important and the time.
Also, it was produced for…. shown by ‘…….’ so this makes it completely / partially / not very reliable because… Overall…. Question 5 (16 marks + 3 SPaG) This question asks you to assess the extent to which a statement cab be agreed with by cross referencing the different points of view given by three sources and using your own knowledge. For top marks you also need to take into account the strength of the evidence (e.g. reliability of its opinion) to support your conclusion.  Identify similarities and differences in the sources interpretations of Q topic e.g. ‘main reasons for opposition to Lister’s methods’.  Use Source evidence + own knowledge to explain similarities + differences between the ‘focus source’ and the others and other factors.  Use NOP + date to how much the evidence can be relied on. Conclusion linked to Q using all sources. Source E gives an example of… it says / shows ‘………’ Source G seems to agree that…. because it states ‘………’ This can be supported because from my own knowledge I know….. suggesting that… Source E also suggests that…. when it says ‘……..’ However, Source G disagrees with this completely / partially because it says ‘………’ Frome my own knowledge I know that… which suggests that Source E is only accurate when looking at… but this was only a small part because… In conclusion we can agree that…. and…. However, this is not completely accurate / does not give the whole picture because… Also, the point of view that Source E puts forward is not to be completely agreed with as…. affect the reliability of
noscrubz
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
my teacher told us to revise blood loss, blood banks, storing it etc as apparently anaesthetics/antiseptics came up last year. It's also the 100 year anniversary of the first blood depot for the battle of cambrai, so it could be likely idk
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Foundation Year Open Evening Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Jul '19
  • Regent's University London
    Psychotherapy Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Jul '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Jul '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (125)
19.69%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (59)
9.29%
No I am happy with my course choice (358)
56.38%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (93)
14.65%

Watched Threads