The Student Room Group

career change - medical school mistake

Hey guys , just wanted to ask about something that's been bugging me a lot lately. So I study medicine abroad (5th year) and came to the realisation it was a huge mistake about 2 years ago but decided to stick it, so as of now i have 1 year left till i get my degree. I have no intention of becoming a doctor but in addition to that I've also started feeling that I want to get out of the scientific field altogether. I feel like studying has always been a chore to me because i genuinely don;t enjoy what I'm learning , I just do it because for some reason it was ingrained into me when i was young that science= success but the harsh reality of doing this for the rest of my life is kicking in and I really want to find a way out. So my question is does anyone here feel the same way i do? anyone planning a drastic career change post medical school. Perhaps anyone here who finished medical school and now is doing something completely different wants to share their story. thanks
A medical degree opens many doors. Get your degree and then have a think about what you want to do, don't quit now and leave with nothing.
Reply 2
I know a girl in a similar situation to you. Realised medicine wasn't for her around 3rd year, but stuck with it to get the degree. She intercalated in ethics and law and loved it. She's now about to graduate but not practice, and wants to work in medical ethico-legal stuff. Last I heard she was applying for a job with some sort of charity. There are definitely others like you out there

What sort of avenue are you thinking you might like to persue?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ghotay
I know a girl in a similar situation to you. Realised medicine wasn't for her around 3rd year, but stuck with it to get the degree. She intercalated in ethics and law and loved it. She's now about to graduate but not practice, and wants to work in medical ethico-legal stuff. Last I heard she was applying for a job with some sort of charity. There are definitely others like you out there

What sort of avenue are you thinking you might like to persue?

Posted from TSR Mobile

right now I'm thinking about computer science/programming. Maths was the subject i enjoyed the most during A levels and I really like the idea of learning theoretical concepts and then actually being able to translate them into creating something.I also spend a lot of time behind my computer already so that part doesn't really bother me. Problem is right now i can;t really delve into anything to see if its for me, I've still got a year left in which i have a bunch of exams and hospital work.
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi,

There was a similar thread just y-day, and look at my post (No 14) in response to that, although my change of career was for a different reason.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=72215450#post72215450

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending