Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know that this may have been asked, but what sort of thing might one put on a law personal statement if one has not done even half of the things that lots of other law candidates have, notably 'i shadowed a solicitor round for two whole weeks,' etc. I have read a few books loosely relating to the subject, such as Thomas Paynes 'Rights of Man,' can anybody recommend any others that i might look at? Back to the main point, what sort of thing can i put down on the personal statement bearing in mind that it will be sent to respcted institutions such as warwick? Or do i have no hope?
    P.S i got AAAA on the AS results, with 300/300 history, 298 politics, 280 spanish, 283 english. Should i ask the teacher to mention the scores on the reference? If not, will the decent grades help to mitigate the fact that my personal statement will be ****?
    Regards and many thanks to anyone who is able to help.

ReputationRep:
    you did great on your exams, but others applying to warwrick will have probably got the same. The personal statement is all about making yourself shine, why would you be a better candidate than the thousands of others applying for the same degree. They want students with experience, those whove read around the subject, those who have extra curricular activities which relate to law or something similar. Think, what have you done to make you stand out??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arranque)
    Should i ask the teacher to mention the scores on the reference?
    In the teacher's reference or yours?

(Original post by arranque)
    If not, will the decent grades help to mitigate the fact that my personal statement will be ****?
    Depends on the university but it has been known that candidates with lower grades and a decent personal statement to be chosen over those with higher grades and not great personal statement. A level choices help, and it's all about those who will be the better candidate at university. Those with higher grades will not necessarily be these better candidates.

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually arranging to work voluntarily for 1 day a week at a local solicitor's firm. It should be interesting and should hopefully go down well with the folks at Oxford... I think a lot depends on your performances on the LNATs (if Warwick is one of the participating unis) and the interviews. What's preventing you from doing a little voluntary work? It displays enthusiasm and commitment to the subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    What's preventing you from doing a little voluntary work? It displays enthusiasm and commitment to the subject.
    I'm contemplating the possibility of shadowing a judge.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.