The Student Room Group

Got hired at KFC!

Hey everyone,

Yesterday, on the 9th of June, I was hired for a KFC store that is going to be opening soon in the town centre of where I live. I'm going to be given an induction ASAP (don't know when that'll be) and going to be paid the minimum wage (ugh £4.05) but at least it's something lol. My question is that if I work 40 hours a week in the holidays and I study fully time at college, that won't cause any problems, right? And to those already working at KFC, give me some tips on what to do when I start.. haha!

Scroll to see replies

full time in college AND 40 hours of KFC? damnnnn that's dedic! you're going to hella tired smh! you're saying you'll work 40 hours now but trust me.. u wont be saying dat l8r
Which store? I need my supply of free wings 😜😜
Reply 3
Original post by mrwhitz
Hey everyone,

Yesterday, on the 9th of June, I was hired for a KFC store that is going to be opening soon in the town centre of where I live. I'm going to be given an induction ASAP (don't know when that'll be) and going to be paid the minimum wage (ugh £4.05) but at least it's something lol. My question is that if I work 40 hours a week in the holidays and I study fully time at college, that won't cause any problems, right? And to those already working at KFC, give me some tips on what to do when I start.. haha!

Hi! Former KFC cashier here! :wavey:

For full-time, the first week (five days) is going to be the training. (For part-time, that would take ten days, a.k.a. two weeks.) While in training, you will not be allowed to take orders by yourself. You will always have someone near you. If you are lucky, you will have a trainer. If not, you will be trained by older cashiers. Until your training is over, your duty will literally be to assist a chosen cashier or multiple cashiers with their orders until you learn the ropes.

In the end, you will take a final test. For it, you need to know the menus, what they contain, the buckets and what they contain (that falls under menus too!), what the salads contain (including how many grammes of something they have), and what offers/promotions KFC has during that time.

You will also do some online training, which is reaaallly simple.

An important note: learn how to make the ice cream! It is trickier than it looks. It took me over three months to get a decent-shaped ice cream, although most others get them right as soon as they make them.

After your training is over, you will be able to take orders by yourself. You will have your own register and keep in mind you need to be as accurate with the change you give as possible because they might make you pay if you are, say, 10 pounds short one day. Chances are they will not do that, but try to be accurate anyway so as to cause no trouble.

Sometimes, a customer will get a special ticket that allows them to give feedback to the restaurant. When this customer comes in, MAKE THEIR ORDER AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE AND MAKE SURE IT IS PERFECT! Do not forget to smile and be the best cashier ever with these customers because if they give your restaurant a rating of one star, your manager will question you about it.

There are (many) times when the cooks will not hear you when you ask for a sandwich (let us pretend a customer orders a Tower Zinger in this case). You have to tell the cooks 'Tower Zinger' so they know to make it. However, they may not hear you, so be prepared to shout it three times and wait up to five minutes for it occasionally.

Dipping fries and all sandwiches besides the Booster take three minutes to cook. If someone asks for dipping fries or a sandwich other than the Booster and you have none ready, you must tell them they must wait three minutes for them before they order.

If you know that a flood of people will come in at a certain hour, it is a good idea to pour some drinks (mostly Coke) before they come in order to reduce the time it takes to complete orders.

There are *certain* customers who are less than pleasant to deal with. One started a rant about how our fries are the worst after I recommended him the menu for a whatever he ordered (we HAVE to recommend the menu!). You just sit there, smile, and do not argue with them if this happens.

Also, a few people do not know the difference between KFC and McDonald's. Someone once asked for a McChicken and another person asked for McNuggets, to exemplify.

I strongly advise that during the school year, you work part-time rather than full-time, and that you quit before your exams. My sister went to school full-time and to work full-time in year 12 and she ended up with more or less average grades. She was always tired or busy and could hardly find time to sleep. In the end, she switched to part-time because she could not handle it anymore. I myself quit my job before my exams because there is no way in hell I would have been able to get any schoolwork done while working. I was always tired and never had the will to do anything, which affected my revision greatly (to be read as 'I did not get to revise at all':wink:.

During the holidays, of course you can work full-time if you have no school, but keep in mind it will leave you exhausted. My friend, a KFC cashier who worked full-time during the holidays, described it as hell since it is going to be so busy.

Good luck at your job and with your studies! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask :h:
Reply 4
Original post by emerald7770
full time in college AND 40 hours of KFC? damnnnn that's dedic! you're going to hella tired smh! you're saying you'll work 40 hours now but trust me.. u wont be saying dat l8r

Well.. in the holidays, yes 40 hours. But in the term days I will do it like this: Mon-Fri (5-10) or 5 HOURS each day. This equals 25, and then on Saturday I'll do 5 hours and then I'll might take Sunday off or whatever. Total is 30 hours for term time
Reply 5
Original post by theboss1738
Which store? I need my supply of free wings 😜😜

LOL!
Reply 6
Original post by Michiyo
Hi! Former KFC cashier here! :wavey:

For full-time, the first week (five days) is going to be the training. (For part-time, that would take ten days, a.k.a. two weeks.) While in training, you will not be allowed to take orders by yourself. You will always have someone near you. If you are lucky, you will have a trainer. If not, you will be trained by older cashiers. Until your training is over, your duty will literally be to assist a chosen cashier or multiple cashiers with their orders until you learn the ropes.

In the end, you will take a final test. For it, you need to know the menus, what they contain, the buckets and what they contain (that falls under menus too!), what the salads contain (including how many grammes of something they have), and what offers/promotions KFC has during that time.

You will also do some online training, which is reaaallly simple.

An important note: learn how to make the ice cream! It is trickier than it looks. It took me over three months to get a decent-shaped ice cream, although most others get them right as soon as they make them.

After your training is over, you will be able to take orders by yourself. You will have your own register and keep in mind you need to be as accurate with the change you give as possible because they might make you pay if you are, say, 10 pounds short one day. Chances are they will not do that, but try to be accurate anyway so as to cause no trouble.

Sometimes, a customer will get a special ticket that allows them to give feedback to the restaurant. When this customer comes in, MAKE THEIR ORDER AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE AND MAKE SURE IT IS PERFECT! Do not forget to smile and be the best cashier ever with these customers because if they give your restaurant a rating of one star, your manager will question you about it.

There are (many) times when the cooks will not hear you when you ask for a sandwich (let us pretend a customer orders a Tower Zinger in this case). You have to tell the cooks 'Tower Zinger' so they know to make it. However, they may not hear you, so be prepared to shout it three times and wait up to five minutes for it occasionally.

Dipping fries and all sandwiches besides the Booster take three minutes to cook. If someone asks for dipping fries or a sandwich other than the Booster and you have none ready, you must tell them they must wait three minutes for them before they order.

If you know that a flood of people will come in at a certain hour, it is a good idea to pour some drinks (mostly Coke) before they come in order to reduce the time it takes to complete orders.

There are *certain* customers who are less than pleasant to deal with. One started a rant about how our fries are the worst after I recommended him the menu for a whatever he ordered (we HAVE to recommend the menu!). You just sit there, smile, and do not argue with them if this happens.

Also, a few people do not know the difference between KFC and McDonald's. Someone once asked for a McChicken and another person asked for McNuggets, to exemplify.

I strongly advise that during the school year, you work part-time rather than full-time, and that you quit before your exams. My sister went to school full-time and to work full-time in year 12 and she ended up with more or less average grades. She was always tired or busy and could hardly find time to sleep. In the end, she switched to part-time because she could not handle it anymore. I myself quit my job before my exams because there is no way in hell I would have been able to get any schoolwork done while working. I was always tired and never had the will to do anything, which affected my revision greatly (to be read as 'I did not get to revise at all':wink:.

During the holidays, of course you can work full-time if you have no school, but keep in mind it will leave you exhausted. My friend, a KFC cashier who worked full-time during the holidays, described it as hell since it is going to be so busy.

Good luck at your job and with your studies! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask :h:

Hmm.. I'm kinda doing one BTEC in college in ICT which is REALLY easy since I'm passionate about the subject in general. I have thought about cutting hours in college term-times since it would make much more sense to do that. You know the final test you mentioned, is that going to be difficult? Do they assess you on difficult things, and if you don't do really well, do they sack you?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by mrwhitz
Hmm.. I'm kinda doing one BTEC in college in ICT which is REALLY easy since I'm passionate about the subject in general. I have thought about cutting hours in college term-times since it would make much more sense to do that. You know the final test you mentioned, is that going to be difficult? Do they assess you on difficult things, and if you don't do really well, do they sack you?

Hahahahahaha, no, the final test is easy :toofunny: (I literally told you what I remember about it :rolleyes: ) If you fail, you just retake it. You pass with 90%, but they will probably let it slide and pass you if you get 85% :wink:
Original post by mrwhitz
Hey everyone,

Just keep in mind that your teachers might set assignments that need to be completed over the holidays, perhaps working 40 hours on top of that is a little much. Also, remember to give yourself some time off - sounds like you'll need it!
Original post by mrwhitz
Well.. in the holidays, yes 40 hours. But in the term days I will do it like this: Mon-Fri (5-10) or 5 HOURS each day. This equals 25, and then on Saturday I'll do 5 hours and then I'll might take Sunday off or whatever. Total is 30 hours for term time

Hi, I worked 30 hours for Tesco whilst doing 4 AS Levels (5-10 like you) Let me tell you, it's not sufficient. I had no time to eat properly, never completed work on time as you just want to sleep or relax when you get in and my social life was poor. I know you're only doing a BTEC but it will be coursework heavy so you will need to have a few days off in the week to complete it.
You may find you're only in college a few times a week so you can work hours at KFC in the day, so you can save yourself getting tired in the night. Or do your coursework in the day instead.
I would say trial 30 hours (if the store will give you them) but don't be disappointed in yourself if you can't do it, it's difficult for anyone in education to manage that many hours.
Original post by stoyfan
No one should be disapointed if you can't do 40 hours. You essentially now have a full time job and as a result you just made your life unnessecarially harder. You would need to juggle between your new job and with college which is essentially a part time occupation (maybe full time if you count revision hours).

Not saying that it is impossible, but one would be a bit worried that you may be over-working yourself.

I suggest that you should consider slowdive's suggestion to work for 30 hours.

They've already said they're doing 30 hours in the term time, Mon-Fri 5-10pm, but I think it'll be too much still. 20 hours is a lot more reasonable for a teenager in education. Gives enough time to get all college work done and still enjoy youself! What's the point in earning all that disposable money and not being able to go out and spend it.
Reply 11
Original post by slowdive
Hi, I worked 30 hours for Tesco whilst doing 4 AS Levels (5-10 like you) Let me tell you, it's not sufficient. I had no time to eat properly, never completed work on time as you just want to sleep or relax when you get in and my social life was poor. I know you're only doing a BTEC but it will be coursework heavy so you will need to have a few days off in the week to complete it.
You may find you're only in college a few times a week so you can work hours at KFC in the day, so you can save yourself getting tired in the night. Or do your coursework in the day instead.
I would say trial 30 hours (if the store will give you them) but don't be disappointed in yourself if you can't do it, it's difficult for anyone in education to manage that many hours.

Yeah.. I agree with you.. 30 hours seem a lot better but considering my pay (£4.05) I'm gonna get a low wage.. this is why I want to work so much hours lol
Reply 12
Original post by Michiyo
Hahahahahaha, no, the final test is easy :toofunny: (I literally told you what I remember about it :rolleyes: ) If you fail, you just retake it. You pass with 90%, but they will probably let it slide and pass you if you get 85% :wink:

Oh okay. Basically my "start date" was yesterday but my training manager said that I will be sent an email "ASAP for an induction" don't know when that'll be lol.. and also, do they pay for the induction? Since you are working there
Original post by mrwhitz
Yeah.. I agree with you.. 30 hours seem a lot better but considering my pay (£4.05) I'm gonna get a low wage.. this is why I want to work so much hours lol

Have you thought about a different role? Tesco starting salary is £7.24 and on Sundays is time and a half so £10.86 and rises further after 10 months.
Reply 14
Have you thought about a different role? Tesco starting salary is £7.24 and on Sundays is time and a half so £10.86 and rises further after 10 months.

I applied for Tesco like three times? They always refused me on the online screening. I only failed on the Tesco screening, even though the questions were common sense and have passed all other job screenings from different companies
Original post by mrwhitz
I applied for Tesco like three times? They always refused me on the online screening. I only failed on the Tesco screening, even though the questions were common sense and have passed all other job screenings from different companies

I'm happy to help with that if you ever want to apply again. The questions have again changed a little bit, you only have two answers to choose from now, so it's a little bit simpler.
Give me extra ketchup please. And you're right its better than nothing. Do what you have to do.
Reply 17
I'm happy to help with that if you ever want to apply again. The questions have again changed a little bit, you only have two answers to choose from now, so it's a little bit simpler.

I applied like 2 weeks ago and got refused. My heart turned away from it, but if KFC is not good for me then I'll try to apply again for Tesco and WOW, did they change like yesterday or something? My screening(s) had like 5-6 options to choose from.
Reply 18
Original post by 0to100
Give me extra ketchup please. And you're right its better than nothing. Do what you have to do.

Yeah man! It is better than nothing. Getting your own hard earned money is 1000% times better than benefits (ugh) and relying on your parents.
Original post by mrwhitz
Yeah man! It is better than nothing. Getting your own hard earned money is 1000% times better than benefits (ugh) and relying on your parents.

were you on benefits?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending