The Student Room Group

i think im addicted to my medicine

I am presrcribed Vyvanse in the monring and adderall in the afternoon because of my adhd. I've been on them for like three months but i think i am getting addicted. like i want to take more than the prescribed dosage and i'm always like "oh my god i need more" and its weird i dont know. can someone more educated on this sort of stuff than i am share some thoughts? i really dont know what to do like right now its almost 11:00 at night (American time, its different for yall though) and i just want to go in the kitchen and take some more adderall. Im so bored without it.
Adderal is not prescribed here, so... perhaps that says something about its potency...

I think you have legitimate reasons to be concerned and suggest speaking to your doc honestly about it.
Reply 2
Original post by TorpidPhil
Adderal is not prescribed here, so... perhaps that says something about its potency...

I think you have legitimate reasons to be concerned and suggest speaking to your doc honestly about it.

What do you mean by "here?"
Original post by sunflower334
What do you mean by "here?"

In the UK.
Most commonly here it's the generic form of Ritalin methylphenidate
My sons taken it for 20 years without a problem
You really need to speak to your prescribing doctor asap
Adderall is addictive so you may need to switch to something else before it's a real problem
Reply 5
Original post by Sammylou40
Most commonly here it's the generic form of Ritalin methylphenidate
My sons taken it for 20 years without a problem
You really need to speak to your prescribing doctor asap
Adderall is addictive so you may need to switch to something else before it's a real problem
Is it possible to be addicted to something even if it's helping you? Like it genuinely helps my focus, energy, and awareness?
Original post by sunflower334
Is it possible to be addicted to something even if it's helping you? Like it genuinely helps my focus, energy, and awareness?

Yes, although that's not normally a problem if it has a therapeutic effect and the side effects for you are minimal.

If you're constantly feeling an uncontrollable compulsion to take more than the recommended dose that could well be a problem. (That's not the same thing as addiction by the way.)

Obviously don't take more medication than your prescription recommends it can be extremely damaging. If necessary you'll have to see your doctor again and try something else.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest