Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    In general, what do people at Cambridge think of St. John's people? Are they nice, friendly etc or is it true that all would have preferred to go to Trinity? There are just a few rumours I have heard and I want to consider this in the application! Could someone who have the time give me an 'advantages/disadvantages' post of St. John's and Trinity, including things like academia, sports, accomadation etc.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Well from talking to a student at Cambridge, he seemed to think that St. John's was the college everyone loved to hate as it were, he said it had a reputation for being pretentious. However, to give to the honest truth I got the impression that he was a bit jealous of it being a large, old and rich college and secretly wanted to be a Johnian!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theoffender)
    Well from talking to a student at Cambridge, he seemed to think that St. John's was the college everyone loved to hate as it were, he said it had a reputation for being pretentious. However, to give to the honest truth I got the impression that he was a bit jealous of it being a large, old and rich college and secretly wanted to be a Johnian!
    I heard that some people think it is stuck-up but ostensibly, I think it looks brilliant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamierwilliams)
    I heard that some people think it is stuck-up but ostensibly, I think it looks brilliant
    Better than trinity? Insanity!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Better than trinity? Insanity!
    I never said it was better than trinity....trinity looks amazing too

ReputationRep:
    St Johnian's what?

ReputationRep:
    I never said it was better than trinity....trinity looks amazing too
    Hmmm

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people's opinions about St. John's can be summed up in the chant sometimes heard around Cambridge:

"Rather go to, rather go to, rather go to Oxford than St. John's."

But, as some of the people above have said, it is really just down to a bit of playful jealousy I think. Most of the people I've met from St. John's have been decent enough, although their stuck-up quota seems to be rather high

The college is rich and on the whole successful, so people are bound to be a bit jealous. My college (Christ's) shares the same foundress as St. John's, the Lady Margaret Beaufort. She founded Christ's first, then John's with a more substantial endowment, later. However, Christ's was her favourite of the two, so when she died she left her entire silver collection to Christ's, and only gave St. John's her land, which at the time wasn't worth very much at all. Christ's now has the best 16th Century silver collection in England. John's owns half of England. We're not jealous. Honest

So, while it does have a bit of a reputation, I wouldn't let it put you off if you like the look of the place.

ReputationRep:
    Well, it is true about the "rather go to Oxford than St. John's," which is actually one of the first things my college Dad taught me when I arrived! They have a reputation of being very rah, rugger buggers who get even more loud and arrogant when drunk. Seriously though, there are plenty of nice, normal people there, and if the reputation does ring true it's probably only for a minority of people (mostly the rugby team and/or first boat).

It's very strong in sports and musically, not so sure about academics, and I got chucked out of their bar for not being from John's so I didn't get a chance to decide. If you like the look of it though, then go for it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Well, it is true about the "rather go to Oxford than St. John's," which is actually one of the first things my college Dad taught me when I arrived! They have a reputation of being very rah, rugger buggers who get even more loud and arrogant when drunk. Seriously though, there are plenty of nice, normal people there, and if the reputation does ring true it's probably only for a minority of people (mostly the rugby team and/or first boat).

It's very strong in sports and musically, not so sure about academics, and I got chucked out of their bar for not being from John's so I didn't get a chance to decide. If you like the look of it though, then go for it!
    lol now im totally scared for going!

ReputationRep:
    You find Rahs at every Cambridge college - generalisations are such a negative thing! John's is a beautiful college and their accommodation is excellent (or so I've heard). The Trinity/John's rivalry still happens, but most colleges thrive on a little rivalry with others. In their case, it all started with the clock tower... As for the song, I've no idea where it originated from but would agree that it's most likely to be a spot of jealousy. In my case, it's just something to sing when you're dressed as a miner and on the way to Gardie's.

Worst thing about their bar: they didn't believe that Sidney Sussex was a college. I ask you...

ReputationRep:
    John's is prettyyyyyy... Not actually met a mean rah there yet The reputation does, sadly exist - but mainly in a lighthearted way and it won't cause you much more trouble than everyone ganging up on you come snowfight time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    it won't cause you much more trouble than everyone ganging up on you come snowfight time
    Snowfighting Time !!! I can't wait... it'll be like the miner-strikes again; and I'd love to keep my working-class middlesbrough loyalties intact through snowballing the scarved ones ... only kiddin...

from what i've read on here, St-John's sounds a bit... scary hehe. What do people think about Fitz on the whole?

ReputationRep:
    I don't really know that Fitz has much of a stereotypical reputation... It has a damn good swing band though!

ReputationRep:
    well, its between trinity and st.john's so I will have to decide when I go an visit them at the open days next year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    and it won't cause you much more trouble than everyone ganging up on you come snowfight time
    Yeah, going to Peterhouse in a Clare scarf was a mistake that day

(Original post by christ's-boy)
    A lot of people's opinions about St. John's can be summed up in the chant sometimes heard around Cambridge:

"Rather go to, rather go to, rather go to Oxford than St. John's."

But, as some of the people above have said, it is really just down to a bit of playful jealousy I think. Most of the people I've met from St. John's have been decent enough, although their stuck-up quota seems to be rather high

The college is rich and on the whole successful, so people are bound to be a bit jealous. My college (Christ's) shares the same foundress as St. John's, the Lady Margaret Beaufort. She founded Christ's first, then John's with a more substantial endowment, later. However, Christ's was her favourite of the two, so when she died she left her entire silver collection to Christ's, and only gave St. John's her land, which at the time wasn't worth very much at all. Christ's now has the best 16th Century silver collection in England. John's owns half of England. We're not jealous. Honest

So, while it does have a bit of a reputation, I wouldn't let it put you off if you like the look of the place.
    Not jealousy, geniune dislike.
    a) Because they are trinity wannabes
    b) They only win sports because there are so damned many of them. They still aren't the best (and neither are trinity) hence testement to quality not quantity.
    c) My year had particular grief with them because we had alot of negative press due to their drinking socs. Whereas most college drinking socs are quite laid back, johns were the ones in the national press for pissing down staircases, vomiting everywhere (and drinking said vomit) etc.

That said, if you ever disbelieve that cambridge don't do hardcore drinking socs/challenges, just go to the wyverns garden party in summer. With such challenges (only for new members of the drining socs) as 'speed eating dog' food, jelly wrestling.
    J

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolfarian)
    c) My year had particular grief with them because we had alot of negative press due to their drinking socs. Whereas most college drinking socs are quite laid back, johns were the ones in the national press for pissing down staircases, vomiting everywhere (and drinking said vomit) etc.

That said, if you ever disbelieve that cambridge don't do hardcore drinking socs/challenges, just go to the wyverns garden party in summer. With such challenges (only for new members of the drining socs) as 'speed eating dog' food, jelly wrestling.
    J
    I invite you to come to Miss Sidney 2005. You will be repulsed. I also met a load of Johnians leaving Sidney after complaining about the "vom-trail" leading to the bar. By the sound of things, shocking them is a hard task. Our Porcs also have to eat dog food etc. during their initiations. Really disgusting stuff. But could anyone at Jesus tell me a bit more about their drinking society? I was at formal there during an initiation where they were questioned about college history and had to "roll back to the incubator" (i.e. out of hall) pretending to be eggs. Am most intrigued!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ticki)
    I invite you to come to Miss Sidney 2005. You will be repulsed. I also met a load of Johnians leaving Sidney after complaining about the "vom-trail" leading to the bar.
    I've seen Miss Clare, it can't get any worse! That and the pie and pint competition at Bar Olympics were eye openers, at least.

ReputationRep:
    well, its between trinity and st.john's so I will have to decide when I go an visit them at the open days next year.
    Trinity is more academic, slightly bigger, and richer. John's however has a reputation for being more relaxed, and it definitely has much better sports teams. Both have lovely buildings, good rooms, and nice views of the backs. It really depends on the sort of environment you thing you would enjoy. Both colleges have a bit of a 'rah' reputation, but this does not hold up in my experience, besides both colleges are big enough that you are bound to find someone who you can indentify with.

EDIT: Trinity also has a better bar, with much more lenient rules about bringing in guests (no rules as far as I have ascertained)

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.