Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolfarian)
    Not jealousy, geniune dislike.
    a) Because they are trinity wannabes
    b) They only win sports because there are so damned many of them. They still aren't the best (and neither are trinity) hence testement to quality not quantity.
    c) My year had particular grief with them because we had alot of negative press due to their drinking socs. Whereas most college drinking socs are quite laid back, johns were the ones in the national press for pissing down staircases, vomiting everywhere (and drinking said vomit) etc.
    Umm. Some silly comments there. Disagree with a and b and you've confused John's with Catz in c.

All in all, John's is in all probability one of the best colleges to go to. Who really cares about its reputation among the other colleges? It's large and relatively rich, and can take reasonably good care of its students. That said, they are making some cut backs this coming year. Bedders won't do laundry any more, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Foolfarian, I think it's a shame that you're perpetuating these myths about the college when your experience of it is clearly very limited. I've just completed my first year at St John's and really love the place. And I'm not a "rah"

Not jealousy, geniune dislike.
    a) Because they are trinity wannabes
    b) They only win sports because there are so damned many of them. They still aren't the best (and neither are trinity) hence testement to quality not quantity.
    c) My year had particular grief with them because we had alot of negative press due to their drinking socs. Whereas most college drinking socs are quite laid back, johns were the ones in the national press for pissing down staircases, vomiting everywhere (and drinking said vomit) etc.

That said, if you ever disbelieve that cambridge don't do hardcore drinking socs/challenges, just go to the wyverns garden party in summer. With such challenges (only for new members of the drining socs) as 'speed eating dog' food, jelly wrestling.
    J

ReputationRep:
    John's are trying really hard with access, as far as I can gather. And that's more than can be said for many other colleges. The people I've met at John's have all been really nice - and we haven't even discussed what kind of school we went to.

(Original post by d750)
    Umm. Some silly comments there. Disagree with a and b and you've confused John's with Catz in c.

All in all, John's is in all probability one of the best colleges to go to. Who really cares about its reputation among the other colleges? It's large and relatively rich, and can take reasonably good care of its students. That said, they are making some cut backs this coming year. Bedders won't do laundry any more, etc.
    Sigh, silly you. Catz was in the papers a few weeks before johns with the accusation of 'girls running around naked' which was rubbish. Someone had managed to get it into the papers because a few of the alley catz did some streaking. Johns on the other hand got a lot worse press. Theres a big difference between 'inappropriate nudity' (which is frankly funny) and swallowing your own vom as part of initiations/pissing out of windows/on peoples doorsteps (- and getting caught)
    As for caring about what other colleges think, its a pride thing. Would rather be part of a college other people liked than the one everyone sings nasty songs about.
    My fav is this one (which is easily adapted to be any college vs johns)

When I was just a little boy, I asked my mother what will I be?

Will I be oxford? Will I be tab? Here’s what she said to me:

wash your mouth out son, and fetch your fathers gun

Go shoot the oxford scum

Shoot the oxford scum.

(insert johns for oxford, and trinity for tab etc. works with footie teams too)

(Original post by sbailey)
    Foolfarian, I think it's a shame that you're perpetuating these myths about the college when your experience of it is clearly very limited. I've just completed my first year at St John's and really love the place. And I'm not a "rah"
    I never said they were a rah college. I don't like this whole 'rah' concept because many people who are genuinely nice happen to be poshly brought up (actually my worst rah experience was at caius but i think that was just because of the particular drinking soc we were with).
    I will say this about Johns - by far the best may ball. F*ck trinity, its over hyped crap. Johns is where the may week is at.
    But do bear in mind much of my ill will is born out of sports arenas where it pisses everyone off that places like Johns simply overwhelm other places by numbers. I whooped yo ass at Darts tho.
    J

ReputationRep:
    Johns on the other hand got a lot worse press. Theres a big difference between 'inappropriate nudity' (which is frankly funny) and swallowing your own vom as part of initiations/pissing out of windows/on peoples doorsteps (- and getting caught)
    That stuff really happened at John's? When? Why? Who?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theoffender)
    That stuff really happened at John's? When? Why? Who?
    Apparently there was an incident in St John's a few years ago. I haven't been able to find the article though, so I guess I'll never know the full story. Maybe Foolfarian can provide a link?

In any case, as bad as it may have been, is everyone in St John's to blame for the bad behaviour of its rugby players? (I'm guessing this is who it was?)

ReputationRep:
    Apparently there was an incident in St John's a few years ago. I haven't been able to find the article though, so I guess I'll never know the full story. Maybe Foolfarian can provide a link?

In any case, as bad as it may have been, is everyone in St John's to blame for the bad behaviour of its rugby players? (I'm guessing this is who it was?)
    Well to be honest I find it amazing that this sort of thing even happens at Cambridge... with everyone having achieved 3 A's (some more) and having been through an interview process where you have to take your subject and learning very seriously (as well as 'fighting off other applicants' as it were), I'd expect almost everyone to be reasonable, well-behaved people!

Anyway, you've just finished your first year at John's? What course are you doing? I'm gonna be going there in October... is there any general adive you can give? (sorry for such a lame question, it's that just I always seem to forget the questions I want to ask when I find someone that might be able to answer them!)

ReputationRep:
    Well to be honest I find it amazing that this sort of thing even happens at Cambridge... with everyone having achieved 3 A's (some more) and having been through an interview process where you have to take your subject and learning very seriously (as well as 'fighting off other applicants' as it were), I'd expect almost everyone to be reasonable, well-behaved people!

Anyway, you've just finished your first year at John's? What course are you doing? I'm gonna be going there in October... is there any general adive you can give? (sorry for such a lame question, it's that just I always seem to forget the questions I want to ask when I find someone that might be able to answer them!)
    Totally agree with you about the pointless vandalism of their own college, but unfortunately there's always a minority who ruin it for everyone else. They got through interview because they're intelligent, not because they're mature - and to be fair, as individuals they're alright. Unfortunately, in a group situation with a bit of drink behind them, it's a different matter. Before anyone thinks I'm trying to diss all drinking socieites, I know that most don't cause problems. I am in one myself, so I understand the difference.

Anyway...

Since you asked, I'm studying medicine. How about you?

As for advice: first of all, enjoy the 4 days of freshers' week (misnomer perhaps?) - if you go to the college bar, it's a great way to get to know lots of people. Doesn't matter if you don't drink, go anyway and have a coke. That way, you avoid only knowing people doing your subject or playing your sport. And there are a LOT of people. It's a shame freshers' week is only 4 days, but I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Someone said it before on these forums, but don't let work get on top of you at the beginning, because it's an intensive 8 week term and it'll build up really fast. They may cut you some slack at the beginning, but don't use it unless you need to. My new year's resolution is to do essays when I'm given them, rather than let them pile up for the weekend - it's awful staying up until 2 am just to get an essay done, and you don't want it becoming a way of life. Being a bit of a perfectionist, I think I spent rather too long on my essays, often to the detriment of keeping up with the course. So keep things in perspective and don't waste too much time on them.

I'm not sure what else to tell you. The main pitfall is letting work get on top of you. Stay in control and then you'll easily be able to make time for going out to nightclubs, pubs or whatever it is you want to do with your spare time. Oh yeah, also sign up to loads of college societies (most are free ). Everyone does this, so don't feel you're going to be committed just because you've shown some interest.

Some more random advice: don't buy chocolates from the bar (it's a rip-off), get them from the vending machine in the JCR. And when you get the odd day that the buttery meal is awful (curry day), go to the bar and order a toasted sandwich instead

Finally, a word of warning: if someone tries to put a penny into your drink or (even worse!) your food, don't let them! (Better yet, do it to them first.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ticki)
    John's are trying really hard with access, as far as I can gather.
    yeah, they seem to be - I went back to my old (comprehensive) school for target and a girl in the year below had got into john's for maths. apparently the admissions staff were great with her when she was choosing colleges, etc

ReputationRep:
    Totally agree with you about the pointless vandalism of their own college, but unfortunately there's always a minority who ruin it for everyone else. They got through interview because they're intelligent, not because they're mature - and to be fair, as individuals they're alright. Unfortunately, in a group situation with a bit of drink behind them, it's a different matter. Before anyone thinks I'm trying to diss all drinking socieites, I know that most don't cause problems. I am in one myself, so I understand the difference.

Anyway...

Since you asked, I'm studying medicine. How about you?

As for advice: first of all, enjoy the 4 days of freshers' week (misnomer perhaps?) - if you go to the college bar, it's a great way to get to know lots of people. Doesn't matter if you don't drink, go anyway and have a coke. That way, you avoid only knowing people doing your subject or playing your sport. And there are a LOT of people. It's a shame freshers' week is only 4 days, but I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Someone said it before on these forums, but don't let work get on top of you at the beginning, because it's an intensive 8 week term and it'll build up really fast. They may cut you some slack at the beginning, but don't use it unless you need to. My new year's resolution is to do essays when I'm given them, rather than let them pile up for the weekend - it's awful staying up until 2 am just to get an essay done, and you don't want it becoming a way of life. Being a bit of a perfectionist, I think I spent rather too long on my essays, often to the detriment of keeping up with the course. So keep things in perspective and don't waste too much time on them.

I'm not sure what else to tell you. The main pitfall is letting work get on top of you. Stay in control and then you'll easily be able to make time for going out to nightclubs, pubs or whatever it is you want to do with your spare time. Oh yeah, also sign up to loads of college societies (most are free ). Everyone does this, so don't feel you're going to be committed just because you've shown some interest.

Some more random advice: don't buy chocolates from the bar (it's a rip-off), get them from the vending machine in the JCR. And when you get the odd day that the buttery meal is awful (curry day), go to the bar and order a toasted sandwich instead

Finally, a word of warning: if someone tries to put a penny into your drink or (even worse!) your food, don't let them! (Better yet, do it to them first.)
    I've got a friend who's starting at John's this year also doing medecine. I'm doing natsci physical. Errr... why would someone put a penny in my food or drink?! I've remembered a few questions, here goes...

What's it like living in cripps? (ie kitchen, bathroom, bedroom). How many rooms on each staircase? How many people on each landing? Am I allowed to stick posters on my walls? (someone said some colleges don't like blu-tack)

Is there anywhere I can play drums?

What is the gym and weights room like? I haven't looked round the college at all cos I didn't think I would get in and didn't want to become attatched, so I didn't know too much about what's in the college!

What's the John's may ball thing like? I've heard it's legendary...

ReputationRep:
    Errr... why would someone put a penny in my food or drink?! I've remembered a few questions, here goes...
    Heh heh...you have so much to learn

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Heh heh...you have so much to learn

ReputationRep:
    I've got a friend who's starting at John's this year also doing medecine. I'm doing natsci physical. Errr... why would someone put a penny in my food or drink?! I've remembered a few questions, here goes...

What's it like living in cripps? (ie kitchen, bathroom, bedroom). How many rooms on each staircase? How many people on each landing? Am I allowed to stick posters on my walls? (someone said some colleges don't like blu-tack)

Is there anywhere I can play drums?

What is the gym and weights room like? I haven't looked round the college at all cos I didn't think I would get in and didn't want to become attatched, so I didn't know too much about what's in the college!

What's the John's may ball thing like? I've heard it's legendary...
    I'm not sure if I want to tell you about the penny thing yet, it might ruin the surprise. It's not a St John's thing though, it's a Cambridge thing. (and apparently Oxford as well)

OK, Cripps is pretty ugly on the outside, but the inside is a pleasant surprise. The rooms are pretty spacious if you get a set (they would have sent you a questionaire asking what type of room you want). The rooms on the top floor are occasionally given to freshers as well - yes, they are pretty high up, but they give you two floors, which is pretty cool.

On every level there are two landings, each side of the stairwell. One landing has 4 rooms, a shared shower, bath and toilet (all separate), and a kitchen. The facilities of each landing are joined, so that you can use the other side if you really need to. The kitchen is pretty crap to be honest, but I know someone who's cooked for himself for the whole year, so it can be done. Probably best reserved for pasta tho. I can't remember how many staircases there are - I think 3 or 4, but I lived on the first flour, so I forget. And yes, you can stick posters on your wall with blue tack, but you have to take them down outside of term time when they rent out your room to other people. Also, they have single-sex landings, to avoid those awkward meetings on the way to and from the shower.

The gym is amazingly convenient. If you live in the first Cripps Court (blocks A-C), then it's literally on the other side of the court - that's 30 seconds' walk It's not the best gym in the world, but when the equipment is working, it's alright. There are two rowing machines, two bikes, two running machines, and a few weight machines (only about 3). Err, and a CD player. If you join the rowing club, you get access to a really nice gym, but it's 15 minutes' walk away. I think other sportspeople get access to special facilities as well, probably. There's also a gym which university students can access somewhere at a discount, but you have to pay. Never used it myself. There is also a weights room under C staircase. There is a Smith Machine and a bench and that's it. I don't know anyone who uses it.

I have no idea where you can play drums. Maybe in the Fisher building, in Cripps Court. That's where the piano practice rooms are. I'm guessing drums in your room won't be allowed.

St John's May Ball is the most popular May Ball in all of Cambridge AND Oxford (in terms of number of applications for tickets). That's not to say it's better than say, Trinity Ball, but it's probably equal. I went to the Johns Ball this year and it was amazing. Loads of free food (including a chocolate fountain with marshallows ), a live performance from the Scissor Sisters, several minidiscos with different types of music, and generally drunken fun and games. It's a bit pricey, but damn is it fun.

By the way, what's the name of your friend coming to study medicine?

And I still don't know what you're studying?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if I want to tell you about the penny thing yet, it might ruin the surprise. It's not a St John's thing though, it's a Cambridge thing. (and apparently Oxford as well)
    Just make sure you have a stack of them, nice shiny ones preferably

There's also a gym which university students can access somewhere at a discount, but you have to pay. Never used it myself.
    Yup, that'll be Fenners, about 15 mins bike ride on the other side of town. It's menna be a bit basic, but only £30 a year.

ReputationRep:

OK, Cripps is pretty ugly on the outside, but the inside is a pleasant surprise. The rooms are pretty spacious if you get a set (they would have sent you a questionaire asking what type of room you want). The rooms on the top floor are occasionally given to freshers as well - yes, they are pretty high up, but they give you two floors, which is pretty cool.

On every level there are two landings, each side of the stairwell. One landing has 4 rooms, a shared shower, bath and toilet (all separate), and a kitchen. The facilities of each landing are joined, so that you can use the other side if you really need to. The kitchen is pretty crap to be honest, but I know someone who's cooked for himself for the whole year, so it can be done. Probably best reserved for pasta tho. I can't remember how many staircases there are - I think 3 or 4, but I lived on the first flour, so I forget. And yes, you can stick posters on your wall with blue tack, but you have to take them down outside of term time when they rent out your room to other people. Also, they have single-sex landings, to avoid those awkward meetings on the way to and from the shower.

The gym is amazingly convenient. If you live in the first Cripps Court (blocks A-C), then it's literally on the other side of the court - that's 30 seconds' walk It's not the best gym in the world, but when the equipment is working, it's alright. There are two rowing machines, two bikes, two running machines, and a few weight machines (only about 3). Err, and a CD player. If you join the rowing club, you get access to a really nice gym, but it's 15 minutes' walk away. I think other sportspeople get access to special facilities as well, probably. There's also a gym which university students can access somewhere at a discount, but you have to pay. Never used it myself. There is also a weights room under C staircase. There is a Smith Machine and a bench and that's it. I don't know anyone who uses it.

I have no idea where you can play drums. Maybe in the Fisher building, in Cripps Court. That's where the piano practice rooms are. I'm guessing drums in your room won't be allowed.

St John's May Ball is the most popular May Ball in all of Cambridge AND Oxford (in terms of number of applications for tickets). That's not to say it's better than say, Trinity Ball, but it's probably equal. I went to the Johns Ball this year and it was amazing. Loads of free food (including a chocolate fountain with marshallows ), a live performance from the Scissor Sisters, several minidiscos with different types of music, and generally drunken fun and games. It's a bit pricey, but damn is it fun.

By the way, what's the name of your friend coming to study medicine?

And I still don't know what you're studying?
    Well if I crack my tooth trying to eat a penny, i'll hold you to blame!

I'm studying natural sciences, physical.

Thanks for the info. I think I'm in room H25... does this mean I'm really high up and far away from everything?? I'm pretty sure it's a set- what exactly does 'set' mean? Oh and out of term time, do I have to take everything home at the end of every term? My friend doing medecine is called Tim, but to annoying him I sometimes call him TC, Timbo, Timmy etc...

Oh and btw, that may ball sounds pretty damn orgasmic!!! Free food!!!!! Do people at the college get any special privileges?

ReputationRep:
    Nonono! You don't have to eat/drink the penny!

As for the May Ball - I think you get to buy your tickets before they go on sale to the general public. I'm contemplating applying for John's ones (Trinity is same night as Clare, so can't go to that!) but it'll depend if I can get some friends to come.

ReputationRep:

I'm studying natural sciences, physical.

Thanks for the info. I think I'm in room H25... does this mean I'm really high up and far away from everything?? I'm pretty sure it's a set- what exactly does 'set' mean? Oh and out of term time, do I have to take everything home at the end of every term? My friend doing medecine is called Tim, but to annoying him I sometimes call him TC, Timbo, Timmy etc...

Oh and btw, that may ball sounds pretty damn orgasmic!!! Free food!!!!! Do people at the college get any special privileges?
    Helenia's right, your privilege is that you get first dabs on the tickets. I think outsiders have to be invited to come to John's May Ball, but actually, now that I've written this I'm less sure.

H25 is in the second Cripps court. It's a little further away. Hope you can cope with the extra 30 seconds' walk! Most people would like to be in the first Cripps Court because it's closer to the rest of the college and it's where the washroom and gym are, but on the plus side you'll get a lot more privacy because you don't have the second years in New Court staring at you through your window. We call it Cripps TV, because the rooms (when the curtains are undrawn) are extremely public. You'll see when you get there!

EDIT: Hey, I just received some reputation points.

ReputationRep:
    Helenia's right, your privilege is that you get first dabs on the tickets. I think outsiders have to be invited to come to John's May Ball, but actually, now that I've written this I'm less sure.
    I'm not sure - I sort of browsed the website a bit and I think you could apply online, but I couldn't guarantee that. I'm just going to have to find some gullible Johnians....

I'm stuck in the middle of my 7th gem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    I'm not sure - I sort of browsed the website a bit and I think you could apply online, but I couldn't guarantee that. I'm just going to have to find some gullible Johnians....

I'm stuck in the middle of my 7th gem
    Hmm, maybe you CAN buy tickets yourself but most of them are gone by that point. Think that's it.

Oh yeah, turns out all the reputation I receive is from newbies to the forum, so I'm still on 10 points

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.