The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Helenia
I'm not sure - I sort of browsed the website a bit and I think you could apply online, but I couldn't guarantee that. I'm just going to have to find some gullible Johnians....

Well, the benefit of being medics is that you can build up networks with other medics, and so infiltrate their colleges!!:biggrin: :tongue:

Get searching now!!

Helenia
I'm stuck in the middle of my 7th gem :frown:

:frown: I'd like to be at the point where I can say that :tongue: :biggrin:
Reply 41
sbailey

Oh yeah, turns out all the reputation I receive is from newbies to the forum, so I'm still on 10 points :tongue:

:tongue:

MadLy
Well, the benefit of being medics is that you can build up networks with other medics, and so infiltrate their colleges!!

Get searching now!!

This is true - aren't we a nice sociable bunch :biggrin:

As for the rep - if you have as little life as I do in the holidays, and whore like anything, you too can have shiny gems! :biggrin:
Reply 42
Helenia
...if you have as little life as I do in the holidays, and whore like anything, you too can have shiny gems! :biggrin:

Why... I had no idea! :eek: *appalled*
Reply 43
sbailey
Why... I had no idea! :eek: *appalled*

No idea about what?
Reply 44
Helenia
No idea about what?

I think he's expressing his shock at the amount of whoring you did......me meself.......I always had my suspicions :tongue: :biggrin:
Reply 45
MadLy
I think he's expressing his shock at the amount of whoring you did......me meself.......I always had my suspicions :tongue: :biggrin:

Indeed.
Reply 46
MadLy

I have a few contributors, but not as many as some :tongue: It's a mutual thing. And I will get banned if I talk about it any more. :frown:

You'll get more if you actually *shock, horror* leave the safety of the Cambridge forum medics posse :tongue:
Reply 47
Helenia
I have a few contributors, but not as many as some :tongue: It's a mutual thing. And I will get banned if I talk about it any more. :frown:

You'll get more if you actually *shock, horror* leave the safety of the Cambridge forum medics posse :tongue:

Bah, leave the safety of the civilised world..as we know it... and venture into the depths of the barbarian horde :eek: ..I 've done it a few times, but if I stayed any longer out there, its like getting sucked into a time warp...coming out wondering where 6 hours of ur life has gone :tongue:

Its official: GC drains your life away!!!! :biggrin:...tho I cant deny its also quite funny.... :rolleyes:
sbailey
Apparently there was an incident in St John's a few years ago. I haven't been able to find the article though, so I guess I'll never know the full story. Maybe Foolfarian can provide a link?

In any case, as bad as it may have been, is everyone in St John's to blame for the bad behaviour of its rugby players? (I'm guessing this is who it was?)

link? haha fraid this was back in the day when i got the news by opening a paper.
http://education.guardian.co.uk/egweekly/story/0,,587999,00.html this link was for the Catz incident. It basically got into the papers because the dean being a doddery fool used words like buggery and drunken nude girls (to describe scantily clad girls). But it sparked the whole 'students abusing alcohol debate'

I also found this
"Two Cambridge University students have been expelled from university accommodation following a night of drunken revelry during which staff reported students "drinking port and eating dog food".

The students from St Johns College were celebrating last week the end of a term that has seen Cambridge's reputation for having an excessive drinking culture grow.

Last month, the Reverend Dr Andrew Mackintosh, the college dean, named seven undergraduates on a public noticeboard for excessive drinking. Today he declined to comment on the college's latest disciplinary action.

The dean of St Catharine's College, Dr Peter Tyler, recently criticised female students, saying the "excesses of drunken, naked girls" were not only disreputable, but meant students' work was suffering. Letters were sent to all college undergraduates warning them against such behaviour.

The identities of the two disciplined students have not been disclosed. They will have to find new lodgings to continue their degree courses.

The accommodation they have been made to leave is described in the prospectus as some of the most luxurious available to undergraduates - all rooms have individual ethernet connection.

A university spokesman said: "Disciplinary action has been taken against two undergraduates. They are being allowed to continue their studies but have been required to leave their rooms in college. This is part of the customary disciplinary process of the university."
"
but thats all i can find at the mo.

O and someone mentioned pennying. Just a proper word of advice - if you really don't want to do a pennying try to be diplomatic about it. It might seem childish and pathetic to some people, but it really is a built in tradition. Sneering/snubbing it will really put the hackles up on a lot of people - not a good way to start. O and in cambridge grades are like a salary - it really isn't good manners to ask someone what grades they get. In fact it will often lead to some real arkward moments.
Any cambridge peeps care to agree that when someone you've just met asks you your grades you just turn off.
Also once you're at uni there is no need to mention A levels or GCSEs. If either word creeps into conversation in anything other thana passing broadside then walk away.
just walkkkkk awayyyyy
J
Reply 49
MadLy
Bah, leave the safety of the civilised world..as we know it... and venture into the depths of the barbarian horde :eek: ..I 've done it a few times, but if I stayed any longer out there, its like getting sucked into a time warp...coming out wondering where 6 hours of ur life has gone :tongue:

Its official: GC drains your life away!!!! :biggrin:...tho I cant deny its also quite funny.... :rolleyes:

On occasion, but can also be very tedious. I can't use the internet at work, which I think is a good thing really. :redface:

foolfarian
O and in cambridge grades are like a salary - it really isn't good manners to ask someone what grades they get. In fact it will often lead to some real arkward moments.
Any cambridge peeps care to agree that when someone you've just met asks you your grades you just turn off.
Also once you're at uni there is no need to mention A levels or GCSEs. If either word creeps into conversation in anything other thana passing broadside then walk away.

Yeah, we never talked about A-Level grades because it was assumed that everyone got much the same. No point really asking what subjects they did among the medics, as nearly everyone did practically the same. We discussed tripos results a little at the end of the year, but I've really hardly seen anyone, so not that much.
Reply 50
foolfarian
I never said they were a rah college. I don't like this whole 'rah' concept because many people who are genuinely nice happen to be poshly brought up (actually my worst rah experience was at caius but i think that was just because of the particular drinking soc we were with).
I will say this about Johns - by far the best may ball. F*ck trinity, its over hyped crap. Johns is where the may week is at.
But do bear in mind much of my ill will is born out of sports arenas where it pisses everyone off that places like Johns simply overwhelm other places by numbers. I whooped yo ass at Darts tho.
J

hmm... at caius? and since from your profile you're male, i'm guessing you went out with the caius orchids. sadly for you, that happens to be the local chapter of the rah's anonymous... admission to the sorority by invitation only... :redface:

had a friend that worked both trinity and john's balls this year (as well as emma's and fitz's, i think - crazy girl) she said john's ball was rather haphazardly organized in comparison to trinity. and she preferred trinity. me, i worked at trinity ball, and was really impressed by it - i'll try going if i can get my hands on tickets... burn a MASSIVE hole in my pocket though.

theoffender
Well if I crack my tooth trying to eat a penny, i'll hold you to blame!

Oh and btw, that may ball sounds pretty damn orgasmic!!! Free food!!!!! Do people at the college get any special privileges?

chances are, you'll swallow that penny whole rather than crack a tooth on it :biggrin:

may balls ARE pretty orgasmic. but the food isn't exactly free. you're paying for every penny of caviar you drink down... :redface: :rolleyes:

Helenia
You'll get more if you actually *shock, horror* leave the safety of the Cambridge forum medics posse

the medics seemed to be doing okay a couple of weeks ago when we were setting up hijacker's anonymous... :biggrin: who would like to revive that medics and boaties thread with me???

oh, btw, how DO people check who gave them their rep points?
Reply 51
KHL
the medics seemed to be doing okay a couple of weeks ago when we were setting up hijacker's anonymous... :biggrin: who would like to revive that medics and boaties thread with me???

oh, btw, how DO people check who gave them their rep points?

If they haven't signed it, then you can't :tongue: unless you subscribe.

I'm thinking that the return of the other medics could mean that we begin to take over the place again...muwahahaha!

Latest

Trending

Trending