The Student Room Group

Veganism or nah?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jabbathemuttdog
Wow that's great - congrats me dear. I'll definitely think about. Personally do you think it's more expensive than a ''more' meaty diet?

no! biggest misconception of the vegan and veggie diet is that it's expensive.

1) yes, it can look expensive to get the gourmet vegan ready meals, but in reality we barely ever eat that. to be honest, i only ever have meat substitutes when i'm feeling lazy or when i'm with meat eaters, and the meat substitutes themselves aren't actually that expensive.
2) you end up eating a lot of veg and carbs, both massively cheap.
3) vegan restaurants aren't as expensive or as bad as people say, in my area anyway. i live in a medium sized, not very vegan, town - and there's one vegan cafe and one vegan friendly restaurant and they're both nice and about the same price as most places :smile:

basically, if you live off vegan ready meals and have meat substitutes in every meal then yeah, the bill adds up. but i found it cheaper to eat veggie compared to meat, and i still have meat substitutes. the cost of carbs and veggies (bulk buy and freeze!!) is really low and can be just as tasty/filling :smile:

i'm starting to substitute in vegan stuff now and cut out dairy / egg and it's no bother at all
Original post by alexschmalex
nah

Y? :flower2:
Original post by samwestt
no! biggest misconception of the vegan and veggie diet is that it's expensive.

1) yes, it can look expensive to get the gourmet vegan ready meals, but in reality we barely ever eat that. to be honest, i only ever have meat substitutes when i'm feeling lazy or when i'm with meat eaters, and the meat substitutes themselves aren't actually that expensive.
2) you end up eating a lot of veg and carbs, both massively cheap.
3) vegan restaurants aren't as expensive or as bad as people say, in my area anyway. i live in a medium sized, not very vegan, town - and there's one vegan cafe and one vegan friendly restaurant and they're both nice and about the same price as most places :smile:

basically, if you live off vegan ready meals and have meat substitutes in every meal then yeah, the bill adds up. but i found it cheaper to eat veggie compared to meat, and i still have meat substitutes. the cost of carbs and veggies (bulk buy and freeze!!) is really low and can be just as tasty/filling :smile:

i'm starting to substitute in vegan stuff now and cut out dairy / egg and it's no bother at all

Well done! :smile: I guess my biggest fear was that it's expensive and you have to buy all these food supplements to make up for the nutrients meat do supply in greater quantities than plants. My freezer is freaking tinyyyy but I'll have to try. There's a couple of vegan restaurants in my city so I was thinking of trying vegan foods to make sure I like them before I revolve a whole lifestyle around them.

Thanks for the help!
I was vegetarian from the age of 10 til I was 16, then I'd go through sudden periods where I didn't eat meat.
I tried veganism last December, the meals were decent but it was expensive and my immune system got really weak and I got fat so I stopped, my gf was vegan but she has sickle cell anaemia and she forgets to take her iron so she stopped being vegan too for health reasons.

Reasons for being veggie/vegan was usually morals (I grew up working with horses and I saw some battery hen farms that put me off meat) and weight loss, I lost weight when I was veggie because the meals were bigger I think. It takes a lot of dedication to be vegan, I didn't like the culture associated with it either so I suppose that was a smaller additional factor for stopping.

I just eat local meat from farms that I know and trust, or from my mate who hunts pheasants for his family.
Original post by loganley
if you do decide to try veganism- don't go straight in with vegan mock foods, especially vegan cheese because it'll taste gross and it will make it all seem so much harder! most vegans I know say it's best to avoid fake cheeses for a few weeks so your tastebuds have time to adapt, and also be prepared for the fact that even the best vegan cheeses will probably never come close to normal cheese! Plus they can be pretty pricey.

but yeah it's perfectly doable. I know people go on about "it's so hard to get the right nutrients" and "you'll get sick" etc etc but no one seems to say that if you have a rubbish diet that includes meat lol.

I'm not too too bothered about the taste of food as my tastebuds seem to adjust quickly. I swapped from cow's milk and 'normal' butter to goat's milk and goat's butter in about a week lol. It tastes horrible once you try it first.

I was worrying about that especially but thank you - I'll gift you in rep.
Reply 25
nah
I have no plans to go vegan but I'll probably go vegetarian when I get older (around 35 or so)
Original post by wolfieblob
I was vegetarian from the age of 10 til I was 16, then I'd go through sudden periods where I didn't eat meat.
I tried veganism last December, the meals were decent but it was expensive and my immune system got really weak and I got fat so I stopped, my gf was vegan but she has sickle cell anaemia and she forgets to take her iron so she stopped being vegan too for health reasons.

Reasons for being veggie/vegan was usually morals (I grew up working with horses and I saw some battery hen farms that put me off meat) and weight loss, I lost weight when I was veggie because the meals were bigger I think. It takes a lot of dedication to be vegan, I didn't like the culture associated with it either so I suppose that was a smaller additional factor for stopping.

I just eat local meat from farms that I know and trust, or from my mate who hunts pheasants for his family.

Aww I'm sorry to hear your health declined. :console:

For some reason I HATE how beef tastes and I love animals so I think that was one of my reasons too. I understand. I've watched a couple of vegan youtubers and the attitude generally towards non vegans isn't positive. But they don't rep the whole community and I'm sure there are some non who have negative views about vegans.

I was also thinking of that but I live in a big ass polluted city.

Thanks for your reply - I'll gift ya in Rep.
(edited 6 years ago)
Chicken Nuggets.

That is all that needs to be said.

Thread closed.
Original post by Keques
nah

How come boo(I'm not trying to make you feel bad or anything - just curious about everyone's thought)?
Original post by emerald7770
Chicken Nuggets.

That is all that needs to be said.

Thread closed.

:ahee: Oh gosh.
Original post by Keques
nah

How come?
Was thinking the same x :smile:
Reply 33
How come?

1) Because meat is tasty.
2) Because it highly limits the diversity and variety of quality restaurants available for you to choose from.
3) Animals taste quite nice.
4) If you were doing it because you were utterly horrified about animals suffering you wouldn't be asking whether or not you should be vegan.
5) I was a vegetarian once and it was difficult. Veganism would be...
6) Because meat is sweet.
7) Steak.
8) KFC.
9) Roast Chicken Dinner.
10) Why you gonna eat plastic, synthetic cardboard passed off as 'food' because you caaaare about aaaaanimals. Like dude.
Aww I'm sorry to hear your health declined. :console:

For some reason I HATE how beef tastes and I love animals so I think that was one of my reasons too. I understand. I've watched a couple of vegan youtubers and the attitude generally towards non vegans isn't positive. But they don't rep the whole community and I'm sure there are some non who have negative views about vegans.

I was also thinking of that but I live in a big ass polluted city.

Thanks for your reply - I'll gift ya in Rep.

Aw thanks dude, I just kept getting loads of colds and fevers but I'm fine now :biggrin:

Ah the librarian at my old highschool was like that but in regards to all meat, she hated the texture I think, never ate meat substitute food either.
Yes, that's so true, I was with the vegan/veg soc when I was still at uni and they were really chilled out apart from the odd member or two but that's to be expected to be honest. XD

I must say the best thing about being vegan was the snack food and the creative recipes, I once made vegan Baileys that holds the coffee flavour a bit more and is slightly more sweet and less thick, but was also so much healthier!

Ahhhh, I live in a big rural town so far play I bet good meat is expensive too in the city :/

Thanks and back atcha!
Original post by Keques
1) Because meat is tasty.
2) Because it highly limits the diversity and variety of quality restaurants available for you to choose from.
3) Animals taste quite nice.
4) If you were doing it because you were utterly horrified about animals suffering you wouldn't be asking whether or not you should be vegan.
5) I was a vegetarian once and it was difficult. Veganism would be...
6) Because meat is sweet.
7) Steak.
8) KFC.
9) Roast Chicken Dinner.
10) Why you gonna eat plastic, synthetic cardboard passed off as 'food' because you caaaare about aaaaanimals. Like dude.

I can't lie KFC is bomb. Vegan food can be tasty - or so I hope. Well it can certainly look nice. Roast Tofu Dinner?
Original post by wolfieblob
Aw thanks dude, I just kept getting loads of colds and fevers but I'm fine now :biggrin:

Ah the librarian at my old highschool was like that but in regards to all meat, she hated the texture I think, never ate meat substitute food either.
Yes, that's so true, I was with the vegan/veg soc when I was still at uni and they were really chilled out apart from the odd member or two but that's to be expected to be honest. XD

I must say the best thing about being vegan was the snack food and the creative recipes, I once made vegan Baileys that holds the coffee flavour a bit more and is slightly more sweet and less thick, but was also so much healthier!

Ahhhh, I live in a big rural town so far play I bet good meat is expensive too in the city :/

Thanks and back atcha!

No problem hun! Glad to hear you're good now. :dance:

Vegan Bailey's - what an invention. Good meat is veryyy expensive unfortunately..

Good luck with everything! :littleangel:
Reply 37
I can't lie KFC is bomb. Vegan food can be tasty - or so I hope. Well it can certainly look nice. Roast Tofu Dinner?

Have you ever tried a vegan cheesecake...? Don't.

Do you like Snickers, Ice Cream, Pizza, Chicken Tikka Masala, Actual Food, Nice Stuff, Taste, Flavour?
Original post by Keques
Have you ever tried a vegan cheesecake...? Don't.

Do you like Snickers, Ice Cream, Pizza, Chicken Tikka Masala, Actual Food, Nice Stuff, Taste, Flavour?

I'm sure someone in the world makes a lovely vegan cheesecake.
Snickers - yes.

Ice cream - yes - favourite flavour is chocolate cookie, vanilla and Oreo cookie mixed together.

Pizza - yes

Chicken Tikka Masala - depends.

And I like the other following things - there's good vegan food - I'm sure.
No problem hun! Glad to hear you're good now. :dance:

Vegan Bailey's - what an invention. Good meat is veryyy expensive unfortunately..

Good luck with everything! :littleangel:

It's so quick to make too! Ah I'm not surprised, our butcher reduces prices on market days too.

And you dude :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending