The Student Room Group

Rounding During calculations

Should I round my intermediate answers during calculations?, or should I just use the full number on my calculator display to continue with the calculation. I don't know which to do because sometimes when I use the full answer on my calculator I end up with an answer not accepted by the mark scheme by very slight margins. However, other times by rounding the answer during the calculation the answer is also not accepted by the mark scheme . So which one should I do?, does it depend on the question?
Original post by JacobV98
Should I round my intermediate answers during calculations?, or should I just use the full number on my calculator display to continue with the calculation. I don't know which to do because sometimes when I use the full answer on my calculator I end up with an answer not accepted by the mark scheme by very slight margins. However, other times by rounding the answer during the calculation the answer is also not accepted by the mark scheme . So which one should I do?, does it depend on the question?

In each step, write down the rounded value, but continue using the original, unrounded value for calculations.
Reply 2
Okay, but what about in very long calculations such as in Kp calculations when you need to find the partial pressures for each reactant before you continue with the calculation. Should you round each partial pressure to the significant figures in the question? or just write the whole number down so you can reuse it because otherwise I won't know the full answer from the previous calculations.

Quick Reply

Latest