The Student Room Group

Law vs Politics

The truth is I'm really passionate about politics, like REALLY passionate. However, Law has always been intriguing because it's more respected and overlaps politics. I'm about to start my A-Levels which are perfectly fine for both, I'm taking Law, Government & Politics, Economics, History. So I've got some time to decide. Ideally, I'd like to become a Member of Parliament, once again, really passionate. But I'd like to do something that isn't politics when I leave uni, an internship in the city etc. I think I'd get a better degree grade with Politics and I would have more fun, but on the other hand, Law is more respected I assume. I plan on applying to Durham or Edinburgh, maybe Cambridge... any ideas??
You will definitely get a biased response here in the law forum. I admit I am biased myself. But I would like to give you the reasons why I think you should choose law from a personal perspective.

The reason I chose law is because it is challenging and intellectually stimulating. It is also one of the most prestigious bachelor's degrees out there (along with medicine and engineering). A law degree not only allows you to be a lawyer but also a politician. A politics degree will need conversion before you can become a lawyer. Note that Members of Parliament and many other politicians around the globe hold law degrees. I believe that every good politician should know the law because politicians are the ones passing laws.

An alternative is simply to study law and politics because why not both?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
I agree with jessjanellbhons1. Many universities offer the choice to study a combined Law and Politics (LLB). I did this but dropped the politics side after my first year. Sounds like the perfect solution for yourself.
Original post by Say10
I agree with jessjanellbhons1. Many universities offer the choice to study a combined Law and Politics (LLB). I did this but dropped the politics side after my first year. Sounds like the perfect solution for yourself.

Yh, I think it may be the best option for now, so as it stands I'll go down that route.
Original post by JamesLeo
The truth is I'm really passionate about politics, like REALLY passionate. However, Law has always been intriguing because it's more respected and overlaps politics. I'm about to start my A-Levels which are perfectly fine for both, I'm taking Law, Government & Politics, Economics, History. So I've got some time to decide. Ideally, I'd like to become a Member of Parliament, once again, really passionate. But I'd like to do something that isn't politics when I leave uni, an internship in the city etc. I think I'd get a better degree grade with Politics and I would have more fun, but on the other hand, Law is more respected I assume. I plan on applying to Durham or Edinburgh, maybe Cambridge... any ideas??

Have you considered a joint honours degree in Politics and Law? You just need to make sure that it's a qualifying law degree should you decide to become a barrister or solicitor.

Here are a few you can consider:
QMUL: http://www.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/coursefinder/courses/173551.html
Edinburgh: http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergraduate/degrees/index.php?action=view&code=ML12
Manchester: http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2017/09674/llb-law-with-politics/
Kent: https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/194/politics-and-law
Original post by zero_gravity
Have you considered a joint honours degree in Politics and Law? You just need to make sure that it's a qualifying law degree should you decide to become a barrister or solicitor.

Here are a few you can consider:
QMUL: http://www.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/coursefinder/courses/173551.html
Edinburgh: http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergraduate/degrees/index.php?action=view&code=ML12
Manchester: http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2017/09674/llb-law-with-politics/
Kent: https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/194/politics-and-law

Thanks for the links! At the moment I think I'm going to do a Law degree, maybe at Cambridge, maybe at Edinburgh, time will tell!
Reply 6

Here is a biased response from a future international relations student. :smile:

You have already said you are passionate about politics, that you would enjoy it, and that you would love to become an MP. So, would you enjoy Law? Would you like to work in the domain of law?

I suggest you check course structures and see which one suits you better. Try to get work experience in both politics and law if you have not done so already. Read books if you have not read any yet.

Look into jobs that you can do with these two degrees. You already know you want to be an MP, but until then? Choose a job to have until you reach your final career goal.

I considered law and politics at some point too. I discovered that law bores me to death and that a lot of people who are supposed to follow and enforce the law do the opposite, which really put me off. Law is supposed to be linked to justice, but most people I have met who work in the domain of law are unjust. Obviously, plenty of politicians are corrupt too, but I found politics to be more interesting at least.

Of course, you can choose to study Law and Politics in the end, which sounds suitable. :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
just do a degree in PPE like every other MP.
Original post by Michiyo
Here is a biased response from a future international relations student. :smile:

You have already said you are passionate about politics, that you would enjoy it, and that you would love to become an MP. So, would you enjoy Law? Would you like to work in the domain of law?

I suggest you look over course structures and see which one suits you better. Try to get work experience in both politics and law if you have not done so already. Read books if you have not read any yet.

Look into jobs that you can do with these two degrees. You already know you want to be an MP, but until then? Choose a job to have until you reach your final career goal.

I considered law and politics at some point too. I discovered that law bores me to death and that a lot of people who are supposed to follow and enforce the law do the opposite, which really put me off. Law is supposed to be linked to justice, but most people I have met who work in the domain of law are unjust. Obviously, plenty of politicians are corrupt too, but I found politics to be more interesting at least.

Of course, you can choose to study Law and Politics in the end, which sound suitable. :smile:

Cheers for the response, to be completely honest, I would really hate doing a joint subject at degree level as my ability to multitask is atrocious and I'd really only want to do one or the other. Obviously, Politics is appealing because I'm passionate about it, but being an MP is more of a retirement plan in a sense after I've done something else in the city. Whatever that something else is, I'm sure a Law degree would be a good foundation.
Original post by randomshizzle
just do a degree in PPE like every other MP.

Here we go again haha, so basically, I've wanted to do PPE for my whole life, right from the start of GCSE's but I told myself it's Oxford or nothing... My GCSE's aren't going to be mostly A*s so Oxford is a no go unfortunately, and yh totally get what you mean haha...
Cheers for the response, to be completely honest, I would really hate doing a joint subject at degree level as my ability to multitask is atrocious and I'd really only want to do one or the other. Obviously, Politics is appealing because I'm passionate about it, but being an MP is more of a retirement plan in a sense after I've done something else in the city. Whatever that something else is, I'm sure a Law degree would be a good foundation.

*will do a joint degree with a minor* :hide:

Keep in mind law-related jobs are very competitive, though, so you might end up not getting a related job. To exemplify, I know two Law graduates. Both work at KFC because they cannot find law-related jobs :s-smilie: (One finished university with like 96% of the marks too.) However, if you are fine with not working in the domain of law, that does not matter much. You can just work a random human resources job or something. :lol:

Best of luck, no matter what you choose :hugs:
Reply 11
No matter how good passionate you are you must be wary that this passion may not convert over to being exceptional within the field of law or politics. Realistically your goal of becoming an MP is probably never going to happen especially as a simple "retirement plan", If i was you i'd be inclined to perhaps do something within the city become an MP early ( hypothetically if this does happen) and then make your money within lobbying and consultancy firms or within a newspaper after this.
Here we go again haha, so basically, I've wanted to do PPE for my whole life, right from the start of GCSE's but I told myself it's Oxford or nothing... My GCSE's aren't going to be mostly A*s so Oxford is a no go unfortunately, and yh totally get what you mean haha...

I don't understand? You can do PPE in most unis, it's not only Oxford.
Thanks for the links! At the moment I think I'm going to do a Law degree, maybe at Cambridge, maybe at Edinburgh, time will tell!

Well, I wish you the best of luck!
Original post by davo_98
No matter how good passionate you are you must be wary that this passion may not convert over to being exceptional within the field of law or politics. Realistically your goal of becoming an MP is probably never going to happen especially as a simple "retirement plan", If i was you i'd be inclined to perhaps do something within the city become an MP early ( hypothetically if this does happen) and then make your money within lobbying and consultancy firms or within a newspaper after this.

I've clearly worded that wrong, you've just described exactly what I want to do, I'm already an MYP (member of youth parliament) and I did some work experience with a local MP, this experience basically showed me that this is what I want to do for the rest of my life, the work was so interesting to me. By retirement plan, I mean 30 years old haha... What I want to do is a city job for five or so years and go into politics, not an MP at first, and yh the whole idea of newspapers, lobbying really appeals to me :smile:
Original post by randomshizzle
I don't understand? You can do PPE in most unis, it's not only Oxford.

Of course, what I meant was, I wanted to study this for a long time but I then decided I only want to do one subject at uni not 3 haha and yh I know others do the subject I was just really intent on going to Oxford and now I just really want to focus on one subject whatever it may be (law most likely) Thanks :smile:
Original post by Michiyo
*will do a joint degree with a minor* :hide:

Keep in mind law-related jobs are very competitive, though, so you might end up not getting a related job. To exemplify, I know two Law graduates. Both work at KFC because they cannot find law-related jobs :s-smilie: (One finished university with like 96% of the marks too.) However, if you are fine with not working in the domain of law, that does not matter much. You can just work a random human resources job or something. :lol:

Best of luck, no matter what you choose :hugs:

Hmmm yh I'm just really intent on a couple of things
- Having a city job e.g investment wealth, finance, banking
- Become an MP but first something else within the party

I think both would be complimented by a law degree, Thanks for the help :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending