This discussion is closed.
LaurMitchxx
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am going to be applying to Plymouth for child nursing 2018 intake. It's never to early to start thinking about personal statements. I have a rough idea and have already started drafting a few bits down! Does anybody have examples that got them through to interview stage, any tips?

Posted from TSR Mobile
mel_l218
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi, I should be starting my adult nursing degree this September, I applied to two universities & got two interviews and then two offers.
There are example personal statements on TSR and studential, so you can get a feel for what a personal statement looks like. (UCAS have plagiarism software to detect major similarities with past personal statements so keep it in mind when you do look at examples online). At the end of the day though, a ps is just that personal so yours will be unique to you.
It's also worth looking on the Plymouth university website and seeing if they offer any ps advice, they normally give advice at open days so it's worth going along to one too, you can mention going to open day/s and how you gained more information about the course in your ps (I did).
Mention relevant skills and experience in you ps too, you won't be able to mention everything you want but you can put the most important things.
I hope this helps.
shannonjade800
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hello,

I have got an conditional offer at London Southbank University for this September, so I hope I can help a little bit.

One important tip to remember is that you have only 4000 words so it could take a few redrafts and also let someone else e.g. family member, friend or tutor read over to pick out any mistakes.

The main aim of your personal statement is to sell yourself - you want to sure them how dedicated and passionate you are about Child Nursing. Also, its important you address how committed you are, they want someone that won't give up but tries their best.

In your introductory paragraph you should write a few sentences on why you chose child nursing and why not any other specialities. For instance, you could state that you have attended open days or you have researched into child nursing which has made you realise that it is for you. You can reflect on the challenges of child nursing, however, you are determined to not let these get in your way. How other nurses from research has inspired you etc.

The most important part is highlighting your experience - this is where the university will look the most. It's best to have something related to health care - e.g. in a care home, nursery or even in a hospital. This will show them that you have some knowledge. What did you observe on these placements - did they inspire you even more (e.g. professionalism or maybe how friendly they were). What skills did you use when at these placements and how?

You could also speak a little bit about your current or previous studies and how some of the modules/units relate to children nursing e.g. anatomy and physiology - you will be discussing a lot about this in university - a project you have undertaken that may be relevant to child nursing.

What is it about your skills, attitudes, values that may you the right candidate.

Your hobbies and interests - how do these demonstrate your skills e.g. reading demonstrates your literacy skills.

Conclusion - your closing sentence should summarise your above paragraphs however you must not repeat yourself. You could state: why you believe you are the perfect student e.g. hard working and how this will ensure you are successful in university. And how you would love to study child nursing to finish your journey to become a nurse.

I recommend that you do not start each sentence with 'I'.
Ensure that your personal statement is structured and the information you're writing is relevant - you may find yourself erasing information or shortening your sentences due to the word limit.
Check your spelling and grammar prior before submission - get someone else to read it as they are more likely to spot mistakes.
Do not copy from somewhere else because they are able to see, they want to know you as the person.
Don't mention how you prefer one university over the over because this personal statement must be general as it is sent to all the universities you apply for.
Don't lie because once at interviews they tend to ask questions based on your personal statement.
You should try to utilise all your word limit to show them your interest in the course.

I am happy to read over your personal statement and provide tips on how to improve. Also, I am willing to answer anymore queries if you message me privately.

Shannon x
Blackstarr
Badges: 20
Report 2 years ago
Does anyone know anything about nursing foundation degrees?
LaurMitchxx
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by shannonjade800)
Hello,

I have got an conditional offer at London Southbank University for this September, so I hope I can help a little bit.

One important tip to remember is that you have only 4000 words so it could take a few redrafts and also let someone else e.g. family member, friend or tutor read over to pick out any mistakes.

The main aim of your personal statement is to sell yourself - you want to sure them how dedicated and passionate you are about Child Nursing. Also, its important you address how committed you are, they want someone that won't give up but tries their best.

In your introductory paragraph you should write a few sentences on why you chose child nursing and why not any other specialities. For instance, you could state that you have attended open days or you have researched into child nursing which has made you realise that it is for you. You can reflect on the challenges of child nursing, however, you are determined to not let these get in your way. How other nurses from research has inspired you etc.

The most important part is highlighting your experience - this is where the university will look the most. It's best to have something related to health care - e.g. in a care home, nursery or even in a hospital. This will show them that you have some knowledge. What did you observe on these placements - did they inspire you even more (e.g. professionalism or maybe how friendly they were). What skills did you use when at these placements and how?

You could also speak a little bit about your current or previous studies and how some of the modules/units relate to children nursing e.g. anatomy and physiology - you will be discussing a lot about this in university - a project you have undertaken that may be relevant to child nursing.

What is it about your skills, attitudes, values that may you the right candidate.

Your hobbies and interests - how do these demonstrate your skills e.g. reading demonstrates your literacy skills.

Conclusion - your closing sentence should summarise your above paragraphs however you must not repeat yourself. You could state: why you believe you are the perfect student e.g. hard working and how this will ensure you are successful in university. And how you would love to study child nursing to finish your journey to become a nurse.

I recommend that you do not start each sentence with 'I'.
Ensure that your personal statement is structured and the information you're writing is relevant - you may find yourself erasing information or shortening your sentences due to the word limit.
Check your spelling and grammar prior before submission - get someone else to read it as they are more likely to spot mistakes.
Do not copy from somewhere else because they are able to see, they want to know you as the person.
Don't mention how you prefer one university over the over because this personal statement must be general as it is sent to all the universities you apply for.
Don't lie because once at interviews they tend to ask questions based on your personal statement.
You should try to utilise all your word limit to show them your interest in the course.

I am happy to read over your personal statement and provide tips on how to improve. Also, I am willing to answer anymore queries if you message me privately.

Shannon x
Hi, thank you for your reply. I have just managed to finish my first draft, it is two pages long and I feel like I still haven't mentioned everything Ive wanted to. I am volunteering on transistional care ward and I have been able to shadow some doctors and nurses, I have also worked in a nursery. I am a mum of two with experience of a poorly child as my son was born with a major heart defect and had open heart surgery when he was born. I was taught how to do NG feeds, administer his medication read his SATS etc. But referring back to my personal statement I feel it needs so much work 😩 X thank you
princessmaire80
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Just to add personal experience is invaluable- when I applied for nursing I had very little paid experience (I had been working in shops and call centres) but I had cared for my mum who was paralysed from when I was fifteen until she had a further operation when I was eighteen. (I had also studied Health and Social Care at uni)
I studied at a Russell Group university and they were very impressed at the fact I had been a young carer. Your experience of caring for your little one when they were poorly will be extremely valuable.
I wish you all the very best xx
LucyJay87
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi, I have just been reading through this feed, I am in a similar situation to you this year as I will be applying to UCAS for children’s nursing starting 2020 and have started thinking about my PS. I felt compelled to reply as I to have been caring for my daughter born with a complex heart condition, was tube feeding at home amongst other things. It’s is the reason I would love to be a children’s nurse. How did you get on? Did you get an interview? Lucy x
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (360)
45.17%
No (84)
10.54%
I'm not old enough (353)
44.29%

Watched Threads