JasmineGlanv47
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey there,

I'm a private at home student and I'm wanting to apply for veterinary medicine to start sept 2018. I've no idea how to use UCAS can someone give me some tips?

1. When should I start the UCAS application
2. When should I start writing my personal statement
3. Is there a national deadline for applicants on UCAS or does it depend on the university
4. General tips of operating UCAS and price to start it
ShadowSeeker
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by JasmineGlanv47)
Hey there,

I'm a private at home student and I'm wanting to apply for veterinary medicine to start sept 2018. I've no idea how to use UCAS can someone give me some tips?

1. When should I start the UCAS application
2. When should I start writing my personal statement
3. Is there a national deadline for applicants on UCAS or does it depend on the university
4. General tips of operating UCAS and price to start it
HI
nice to meet you Jasmine
interesting thats a nice career
good luck with your exams
you can start writting your personal staement this summer -it will help you be in advance (straight after your exams)
You can apply for UCAS now I think if not try August
Yes the deadline is around Jan 2018 for Sept 2018 entry
I paid £23 for 5 choices but it can change

PS: check for the uni that offer your course
look for subjects , grades required, ranking modules etc
gooeybrownie22
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi JasmineGlanv47

Although I don't know the exact dates, I shall try giving you an outline from the experience that I have had of applying to a course through UCAS whilst I was at school.

Mid-June to late August/ early September:
Attending open days. Make a list of all the unis you would want to consider- and book an open day to get a feel for how your course is taught and the buildings in which you will be taught in. Look on their websites for prospectuses which may also help when writing your personal statement.
Writing a personal statement. It helps to attack the personal statement over a longer period of time in smaller chunks. Split your personal statement into different sections and make a list of things you want to include in each. This is especially helpful for the work experience section as it will give you an indication of how much you have and how much you would still need to do- which you can then organise for over the summer. Note- the personal statement will require several drafts, so first draft write out everything you want to include before worrying about cutting it down to the allowed limit (47 lines I think it is?)
Start UCAS application. You need to start filling in your online application. You can always save sections and come back to it if you can finish the application all in one sitting. You may also want to think about obtaining your references as well which form part of the application- one is academic and one is non-academic I think.
Aptitude exams/ tests. I know there is the UKCAT AND BMAT which you have to take when applying for medicine and dentistry- could there be something similar for vet med? Make sure you take these tests over the summer, so that you have completed this in time for handing in your UCAS application.

September/ Early October:
Finalising personal statement. You should have completed your final draft by this point. Get as many different people as you can to read through it, as often they will pick up mistakes that you wont necessarily see.
UCAS application. For medicine and dentistry courses, including veterinary medicine, the deadline for UCAS applications is much sooner than for all other applications. I believe its the second week of October- so hence starting the UCAS application and personal statement early is essential. In general, you can put upto a maximum of 5 choices on your application, although I was advised only use 4 as later on if you don't get any offers, you still have one extra space that you can use. Generally, applying to one uni will cost £11 and applying to two or more will cost £23. Although again, these prices may vary...not sure what recent charges are. The application itself is pretty self explanatory once you get on there and lots of tutorials are on there to help if you get stuck on a section

October- March:
Replying to offers/ attending interviews. Can't really do anything much during this time apart from waiting for replies from unis. After filling in the UCAS application and handing it in, your are automatically registered onto UCAS Track. Should get an email with all your login details etc. It is on UCAS Track that you will need to reply to offers and check for any interview invites etc. Hopefully once the offers start pouring in, I would wait to hear back from all your unis before making your firm choice and insurance choice.

March-May:
Apply for student finance. This is vital if you are looking to get a tuition fee loan and more extra funding if required.

That's all I can remember atm! If you go onto the UCAS website, I know they usually have a full calendar of dates for your diary and deadlines that need to meet- have a look on that as that is likely to be more accurate info, than from anyone on TSR. However, if you need any other advice, feel free to ask! Good luck.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (91)
50%
No (91)
50%

Watched Threads