Fonzworth
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I never took a language at GCSE, I didn't enjoy it and it felt forced, however, I am considering learning a language before I go to University in about 3 years time.

In school I mainly did Spanish, and on Duolingo I have done the first few sections (4% fluent yay), however I was considering learning Germany instead. Should I ditch Spanish and do Germany or stick with Spanish? Some of my family lives in Spain, however, I was considering moving to Europe (possibly Germany/Switzerland) and maybe do Law in Europe. There are also University courses where you go abroad for a year so I was thinking of maybe doing that.
brainzistheword
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Fonzworth)
I never took a language at GCSE, I didn't enjoy it and it felt forced, however, I am considering learning a language before I go to University in about 3 years time.

In school I mainly did Spanish, and on Duolingo I have done the first few sections (4% fluent yay), however I was considering learning Germany instead. Should I ditch Spanish and do Germany or stick with Spanish? Some of my family lives in Spain, however, I was considering moving to Europe (possibly Germany/Switzerland) and maybe do Law in Europe. There are also University courses where you go abroad for a year so I was thinking of maybe doing that.
I can't really tell you which language to pick as that is up to you, although some people manage to learn two so you might not have to choose. If you were to try and learn either, you need to focus on your vocabulary (using flashcards) and expose yourself to as much of the language as possible. You could always use the GCSE and A-level exam papers as a way of getting used to the language, just fast-track it to fit everything in. I hope this helps
Hayley Wallbank
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi there, I also didnt take German at school, I did French, and so picked it up at university (many years ago) and spent my 3rd year in Germany. I am now a German and French tutor which sort of suggests I really got to grips with it Whichever language you decide to pursue you will learn to enjoy it due to the fact that this time around it is your choice. Immerse yourself in the culture and the community when you are there - you will get so much out of it. Hope this helps. Hayley
Nunchuck-master-2334
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

go to a country that speaks the language you want to learn
prazzyjazzy
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Unless you have friends to practive the language with on a daily basis, I'd say music and TV shows with subtitles. TV shows will have relevant converstaional vocabulary and teaches you customs and pronounciation. Same goes for music but music is best if you don't have the best memory and need something catchy to get stuck in your head
butfirst_coffee
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Watch shows/listen to music in that language. It helps to grasp the flow of it which in turn speeds up vocabulary learning and everything just overall feels more familiar
Fonzworth
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Hayley Wallbank)
Hi there, I also didnt take German at school, I did French, and so picked it up at university (many years ago) and spent my 3rd year in Germany. I am now a German and French tutor which sort of suggests I really got to grips with it Whichever language you decide to pursue you will learn to enjoy it due to the fact that this time around it is your choice. Immerse yourself in the culture and the community when you are there - you will get so much out of it. Hope this helps. Hayley
Thank you for your help, I have a quick question. How long does it usually take to be fluent in a language? I plan to hopefully be fluent in German, Spanish and maybe French.
CGSW
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
watch out for Duolingo, a lot of the vocabulary is from Latin America which is VERY different from the Spanish we speak in Spain (I live in Spain).
Dodgypirate
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thank you for your help, I have a quick question. How long does it usually take to be fluent in a language? I plan to hopefully be fluent in German, Spanish and maybe French.
It will take you the best part of 3-4 years to be fluent in all three.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (46)
65.71%
No I haven't decided yet (16)
22.86%
Yes but I might change my mind (8)
11.43%

Watched Threads