?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Wonder how long this will last http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-40236152
damp rag
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hopefully till Brexit, be it hard or soft, is secured. This is reassuring.
username1539513
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm sure all who voted Conservative are thrilled with the fact their party is being held up by 10 sexist, homophobic climate change denying nutters :rofl:
Airmed
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think I may need to stock up on my popcorn cause this is going to be a show and a half!
Airmed
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Spoiler:
Show
*commences crying*
Spratty
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Cries internally
SmashNGrab
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Rock Fan)
Wonder how long this will last http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-40236152
6months if that I reckon. I would have rather have called another election so someone has an outright majority
MrDystopia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
We won't reach the end of the year with this arrangement. Banking on another election in the Autumn.

I'm curious to know now what the Tories gave up in exchange for the DUP support.
Airmed
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by MrDystopia)
We won't reach the end of the year with this arrangement. Banking on another election in the Autumn.

I'm curious to know now what the Tories gave up in exchange for the DUP support.
Their souls.
damp rag
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I don't care what or who they are so long as they keep the Tories in power. As the DUP themselves stated, the alternative is intolerable. Corbyn needs to be kept away from No. 10 by all means possible.

If the tables were turned and they were propping up a Labour government to keep May out, I'm sure you'd feel similarly.
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Best get married quick then

(Original post by MrDystopia)

No not another one :cry2: it was hard enough to make up my mind the first time
Would it be between fewer parties tho? Cos otherwise won't the same thing happen again?
JMR2021_
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I am sure this parliament will not last its full length until 2022
Minimum it will last until Autumn, Maximum until Brexit negotiations end in 2020.
username1539513
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by damp rag)
I don't care what or who they are so long as they keep the Tories in power. As the DUP themselves stated, the alternative is intolerable. Corbyn needs to be kept away from No. 10 by all means possible.

If the tables were turned and they were propping up a Labour government to keep May out, I'm sure you'd feel similarly.
I'd rather have Corbyn in power than these nuts who want to turn everything back to the 17th century. If all of the above wasn't enough, they've been involved in terrorism before now too. People loved to slate Corbyn for his views on the IRA yet for some reason getting in the bed with the DUP is okay?
No Filters
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) has agreed in principle a "confidence and supply" deal to support a Conservative government, it has been announced.
Theresa May was left eight seats short of an overall majority in the general election, while the DUP won 10 seats.

Tory chief whip Gavin Williamson went to Belfast on Saturday for talks with the Northern Irish party.

Downing Street said the of the outline deal details would be discussed at a cabinet meeting on Monday.

Any agreement would come into force when Parliament returns next week.
A "confidence and supply" deal is not a full coalition, but an agreement which sees the smaller party support the larger one in votes it might otherwise lose, like a budget.

A No 10 spokesman said: "We welcome this commitment, which can provide the stability and certainty the whole country requires as we embark on Brexit and beyond."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-40236152
JamesN88
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
And a party set up by terrorists. Not just sympathisers but the full shabang.
No Filters
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I guess that incompetent old sod is gonna remain PM even though 66% of Tories want her to step her skinny àss down
username1539513
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by JamesN88)
And a party set up by terrorists. Not just sympathisers but the full shabang.
Exactly, not really understanding the logic of this decision here, how is having a load of religious terrorists in Parliament going to protect us from more religious terrorism?
MrDystopia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by CoolCavy)
No not another one :cry2: it was hard enough to make up my mind the first time
Would it be between fewer parties tho? Cos otherwise won't the same thing happen again?
Nope, it would be a repeat as per usual, with any/every party. Who knows what would happen, but I think the most likely outcome is either the Tories or Labour will secure a majority were a second election to be called. Tories would run a better campaign (maybe even with a new leader) and thus reclaim lost confidence/support, or Labour could be galvanised further and sweep to further success (Especially as now people have realised that Corbyn..well can lead an extremely effective campaign).

For reference, this exact situation, a minority government followed by a second election, happened in the 70s. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United..._February_1974 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...,_October_1974

As you can see, in the first, neither Labour or Tory won a majority. Labour tried to govern in minority, second election occurred, and they secured a majority (albeit a small one).
SCIENCE :D
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Theresa May has risked breaking the peace in N.Ireland to keep her weak and wobbly party in government.
JamesN88
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I guess they're the right kind of religious terrorists.

I saw this on Facebook earlier which sums things up pretty well.

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (302)
55.72%
I don't have everything I need (240)
44.28%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed