The Student Room Group

13 reasons why???

So i watched the trailer of 13 reasons why a few weeks back and i didn't think that i would like it, so i didn't watch the series. A lot of my friends are watching 13 reasons why currently and they think that it is really good. Any opinions?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by foood
So i watched the trailer of 13 reasons why a few weeks back and i didn't think that i would like it, so i didn't watch the series. A lot of my friends are watching 13 reasons why currently and they think that it is really good. Any opinions?

Moved this to 'TV shows' for you! :smile:

I believe these lovely people watch it, so I am just going to tag them.

@feministy & @Nirvana1989-1994
Tbh I don't think you should support it by watching, it's addictive and glorifies suicide.
Bit hypocritical coming from me, I know.
It was alright...
In my opinion, it started off quite strong, but as the series went on, the reasons started to become pointless and forced. I had to skip a lot of the last 3/4 episodes as they were quite boring and I had to revise.
However, this is just my opinion. Some of my friends also think it is really good, so I guess it depends on the person. I would definitely recommend watching it and seeing if you like it or not for yourself. It does tackle some important issues of life (sort of).
I think it's probz the best tv show on Netflix rn. Or one of the best. It's quite graphic and deep so don't watch if you're easily affected by stuff. I couldn't stop watching TBH I binge watched it.
Hannah Baker was an attention seeker
If you like the whole teen-highschool-relationship-drama thing, then you should definitely watch it.

I've seen it and thought it was mostly quite good, lots of twists and quite eye opening in a way.

It can get quite dark at times, I mean the whole thing is based on a girl who committed suicide and each episode is a tape which she's recorded and left behind. Each tape explains a different persons part in her choice to kill herself.

Watch it. :yes:
Original post by Unnamed User
It was alright...
In my opinion, it started off quite strong, but as the series went on, the reasons started to become pointless and forced. I had to skip a lot of the last 3/4 episodes as they were quite boring and I had to revise.
However, this is just my opinion. Some of my friends also think it is really good, so I guess it depends on the person. I would definitely recommend watching it and seeing if you like it or not for yourself. It does tackle some important issues of life (sort of).

Definitely agree with this, some episodes I found quite boring and forced.

I also think it really glorifies suicide. It didn't stop me watching it but I've had a lot of mental health problems and have a few friends with similar issues, and they were really affected by it. It kind of plays out a fantasy of how one's suicide would affect those around them - all artsy and deep and troubling. But that's not reality.
Rule number 1:
If you are/have been suicidal, self harm(ed) or have been raped...then for god's sake don't watch it whatever happen. ---> IT WILL MAKE YOU FEEL WORSE.

Rule number 2:
Dont binge watch it like i did man :colonhash:
It's utter rubbish, much like all the other overhyped Netflix original series.
Original post by feministy
Tbh I don't think you should support it by watching, it's addictive and glorifies suicide.
Bit hypocritical coming from me, I know.

I've heard a lot of people say that it glorifies suicide but I've never understood why. Can you explain for me?

Original post by foood

I thought it was good. The story it tells is really powerful and quite hard hitting. The storytelling itself, how it switches between clay's memories of hannah, the story being told on the tapes and the present day was great at disseminating just what you needed to know and just the right time. I think all the major characters are characterised well. I don't think it's insensitive about the topic of suicide as well as the other dark subjects with which it deals (I could be specific but it might spoil it for you). I'm not entirely sure I'd say the story itself is an 'entertaining' one but that might just be because the main thing keeping me watching was the show's tight grip on my intrigue. Everything seems realistic but having not dealt with any of the relevant issues myself I can't confirm that with any 1st hand experience. The 1 gripe I do have is the way hannah talks to clay in his flash backs and when he's listening to the tapes. They talk in these deep, nested, philisophical and almost cryptic ways that as a 17 year old i can confirm with 1st hand experience is very unrealistic and at times cringy. But the show's great if you can get past that. And I think it might be meant to juxtapose the atmosphere of the town before and after her suicide. This is more overtly done with the colour palate. You can quite clearly see as it transitions between the tapes/clay's memories and the present day (especially when that transition is in the same room) that the former has this bright orangey/yellowy tinge to it that feels happy and upbeat and the latter has a much bluer colour scheme.
I thought it was a terrible show, really disliked Hannah the main character. Some of the things she blamed on others were harsh, the list was stupid in places. It romanticised suicide, and the end message came across as "Suicide is the best way to get everyone to like you and feel sorry for you" - which just isn't okay for people watching who may actually feel suicidal. And without going into detail/ spoilers etc, the whole Clay, another lead, falling more in love with her through her describing why she killed herself also wasn't a great message to send out.

It also wasn't very realistic, they hardly mentioned her depression, and another key factor which I won't mention for spoilers, so it came across as though she just commit suicide to get revenge. So, instead of very briefly mentioning those two crucial matters, they should have gone into those issues much further and explained how they made her suicidal, rather than making them seem less serious than they really are. But instead they focused on a silly school list compared to those actual issues.

lol rant over, it just bugged me that people thought it was a masterpiece. On the plus side, it does a good job in terms of getting people to really think about their actions when it comes to the impact it'll have on other people. It did highlight the intensity and complexity of growing up, specifically within American high schools.
Original post by mrsuperguy
I've heard a lot of people say that it glorifies suicide but I've never understood why. Can you explain for me?

I thought it was good. The story it tells is really powerful and quite hard hitting. The storytelling itself, how it switches between clay's memories of hannah, the story being told on the tapes and the present day was great at disseminating just what you needed to know and just the right time. I think all the major characters are characterised well. I don't think it's insensitive about the topic of suicide as well as the other dark subjects with which it deals (I could be specific but it might spoil it for you). I'm not entirely sure I'd say the story itself is an 'entertaining' one but that might just be because the main thing keeping me watching was the show's tight grip on my intrigue. Everything seems realistic but having not dealt with any of the relevant issues myself I can't confirm that with any 1st hand experience. The 1 gripe I do have is the way hannah talks to clay in his flash backs and when he's listening to the tapes. They talk in these deep, nested, philisophical and almost cryptic ways that as a 17 year old i can confirm with 1st hand experience is very unrealistic and at times cringy. But the show's great if you can get past that. And I think it might be meant to juxtapose the atmosphere of the town before and after her suicide. This is more overtly done with the colour palate. You can quite clearly see as it transitions between the tapes/clay's memories and the present day (especially when that transition is in the same room) that the former has this bright orangey/yellowy tinge to it that feels happy and upbeat and the latter has a much bluer colour scheme.

It doesn't portray suicide and depression well. It shows her slitting her wrists(which they added for 'entertainment' seeing as in the book she swallowed pills). A few people have copied the suicide too. You can google it too.
Reply 13
Go watch it:wink:
It doesn't portray suicide and depression well. It shows her slitting her wrists(which they added for 'entertainment' seeing as in the book she swallowed pills). A few people have copied the suicide too. You can google it too.

Can you be more specific about not portraying suicide & depression well?
As for showing her slitting her wrists, I don't get what's wrong with that. Adding it for entertainment as you say seems quite innocuous to me. But i suspect it was more of an artistic choice anyway. And it's not like people who wanted to slit their wrists couldn't find instructions for it online anyway. I don't actually know if watching it makes someone more likely to commit suicide though but if it does then plastering it with disclaimers should deal with that problem.... right?
I feel like as with many tv productions, it's fame took away from the story. It doesn't tackle mental health very well at all. The fact that there's also a season 2 coming, reflects that this show is in it for the money, especially as the book had a conclusive end. Im annoyed that this shows continuing whilst sense8 gets cancelled.
Original post by Steljoy
Moved this to 'TV shows' for you! :smile:

I believe these lovely people watch it, so I am just going to tag them.

@feministy & @Nirvana1989-1994

Watch it, it's awesome. :biggrin:
Reply 17

Yea I know, it's all piognant really.
Reply 18
Original post by mrsuperguy
Can you be more specific about not portraying suicide & depression well?
As for showing her slitting her wrists, I don't get what's wrong with that. Adding it for entertainment as you say seems quite innocuous to me. But i suspect it was more of an artistic choice anyway. And it's not like people who wanted to slit their wrists couldn't find instructions for it online anyway. I don't actually know if watching it makes someone more likely to commit suicide though but if it does then plastering it with disclaimers should deal with that problem.... right?

No there's actually a study and a scientific name for being influenced by a suicidal act and idiolising it, and hence copying it.
Reply 19
Maybe you should read the book too...:wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending