The Student Room Group

What are your A-Level choices?

In Yr 11 rn but I chose:
Maths
Further M (hoping I get a 9 at GCSE but I don't think I will)
Physics
Psychology
I think I will probably die when it comes to taking A-Levels...was it a mistake? I plan on revising from the very beginning rather than doing what I am with GCSEs because I heard there's no way you can get away with that at A-Level and still get good results...though my dad revised for his Chemistry A-Level last minute (month before) and got A along with A in maths and physics too-I don't wanna be like that though :lol:

But yeah I'm a little bit stressed as I hear science isn't easy (didn't expect it to be but people who got A* at GCSE really fell behind when it came to A-Level) so, do you think those options are too hard? What's the hardest A-Level Science?

Scroll to see replies

Think I'll choose:
Politics & Gov, maths, geography and philosophy
Original post by pastelsloth
In Yr 11 rn but I chose:
Maths
Further M (hoping I get a 9 at GCSE but I don't think I will)
Physics
Psychology
I think I will probably die when it comes to taking A-Levels...was it a mistake? I plan on revising from the very beginning rather than doing what I am with GCSEs because I heard there's no way you can get away with that at A-Level and still get good results...though my dad revised for his Chemistry A-Level last minute (month before) and got A along with A in maths and physics too-I don't wanna be like that though :lol:

But yeah I'm a little bit stressed as I hear science isn't easy (didn't expect it to be but people who got A* at GCSE really fell behind when it came to A-Level) so, do you think those options are too hard? What's the hardest A-Level Science?

Just start revising around Feb time for content reading. I did year 2 revision before Feb but it was mostly light casual reading through textbooks. I did past papers for maths c4 during the week of the exam. Hardest science depends on yourself, there isn't a definite hardest one.
Reply 3
Good idea with the revision thing! I've got an A2 exam on Wednesday and have to teach myself the entire spec in 3 days oops.
They sound like good but hard A-levels, especially physics! I'm sure you'll do great, Good luck!
Reply 4
I'm hoping to do:
French
German
Gov and politics or history (I'm unable to decide between these two!)
Mathematics
Further Mathematics (hopefully! I only discovered my love for mathematics quite late so now I have to try very hard to get the grade to do it.)
Computer Science
Physics (I was going to pick Economics instead but Physics compliments with my other subject choices better.)
Original post by feministy
Think I'll choose:

That sounds interesting minus Geography, I can't stand the subject :s-smilie: , think it's more because I'm a History student and hate maps and anything Geography related in general. Also, have you not chosen yet?

Original post by Vikingninja
Just start revising around Feb time for content reading. I did year 2 revision before Feb but it was mostly light casual reading through textbooks. I did past papers for maths c4 during the week of the exam. Hardest science depends on yourself, there isn't a definite hardest one.

I see, I guess it makes sense; the fact that it depends on you rather than the science but still, I don't even know if I'll get A*s or even A's at GCSE yet since I'm still doing them...but thanks.
Why's everyone doing 4 lol
I do Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths. To be honest, I find physics the hardest but physics has always been my 'worse' science! At GCSE I got A's in biology and chemistry, but a B in physics and I don't find it too bad, you've just got to put the effort in from the start or else you're really going to struggle in second year/at exam season.
That sounds interesting minus Geography, I can't stand the subject :s-smilie: , think it's more because I'm a History student and hate maps and anything Geography related in general. Also, have you not chosen yet?

I see, I guess it makes sense; the fact that it depends on you rather than the science but still, I don't even know if I'll get A*s or even A's at GCSE yet since I'm still doing them...but thanks.

I'm in year 10 but tbh I wish I'd chosen history instead but I still enjoy geography. I might drop maths later on tho.
Reply 10
Think I'll choose:

These sound good, I've heard from my teacher that geography is awful now on the new spec (i'm the last year of the AS & A2); it's more science than geography like the carbon cycles and stuff.

Just saying but don't base how you will do later on, on your GCSE grades. I got A's in my best subjects at GCSE and then B's or lower for the rest, for physics my national target grade was a C, second year written exams I got near full UMS (for physics and geology). At sixth form the staff may be a lot better at teaching which happened exactly in my case and the staff were amazing at helping you understand a topic if you didn't before.
Reply 12
Philosophy
"To study Philosphy is nothing but to prepare onself to die."
- Cierco
Politics
"Politics makes strange bedfellows."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Economics
"Studying Economics is not a good preparation for dealing with it."
- George Soros

As you can see I'm setting myself up well for life.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Nat_rg
Good idea with the revision thing! I've got an A2 exam on Wednesday and have to teach myself the entire spec in 3 days oops.
They sound like good but hard A-levels, especially physics! I'm sure you'll do great, Good luck!

Yeah, really hoping I don't end up like that because I would honestly just give up-props to you for actually trying!!! They do seem hard...bit worried but the good thing about FM is that you don't have to start learning that straight away, I think we spend a year individually on both Maths thingies. Thank you for your kind words though!!!

Original post by eam0ss
I'm hoping to do:
French
German
Gov and politics or history (I'm unable to decide between these two!)

Those sound interesting-I'd personally go for History because I like it more but just see which one you like the most and go for that one-that would probably be the best choice since you'd enjoy it more and actually want to revise? Idk just suggesting stuff!

Original post by s4b3rt00th
Mathematics
Further Mathematics (hopefully! I only discovered my love for mathematics quite late so now I have to try very hard to get the grade to do it.)
Computer Science
Physics (I was going to pick Economics instead but Physics compliments with my other subject choices better.)

Wow those are some science-y subjects you've got there! I think choosing Physics was the right choice there-it does seem to fit in better :biggrin:
I'm in year 10 but tbh I wish I'd chosen history instead but I still enjoy geography. I might drop maths later on tho.

I always thought you were older than me tbh-I've been intimidated by a Year 10 all this time :redface: lmao , but can you not change your options? Our school says you can after your results if you found you did better at something else etc. so maybe you could still change to History. Maths is fun tho don't drop it :frown:( (actually I don't agree all the time because maths annoys me a lot nvm)
I'm doing:
Chemistry (A*)
Physics (A*)
Maths (8)
Biology (A*)

I am also worried about the big step up in the subject difficulty. I'm not very smart (they are my only A*s the rest of my subjects being Bs) so taking them subjects was a given. I hate course work so the subjects are a bonus to me (apart from I'm doing EPQ). I hope that my love for the subjects and willingness to learn will pull me through! I hope to see your profession through a level on TSR

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Keques
Philosophy
"To study Philosphy is nothing but to prepare onself to die."
- Cierco
Politics
"Politics makes strange bedfellows."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Economics
"Studying Economics is not a good preparation for dealing with it."
- George Soros

As you can see I'm setting myself up well for life.

wdym you're already set up for life with that shaliday pfp
praise kek
Reply 17
wdym you're already set up for life with that shaliday pfp
praise kek

FREE Kekistan ! :biggrin:
Biology -because is the best subject ever !!! Only thing is that I hate the specification for my exam board
Chemistry - Because it compliments Biology .
Maths- Because I enjoy doing maths (to an extent)
FutherMaths/Geography-
I always thought you were older than me tbh-I've been intimidated by a Year 10 all this time :redface: lmao , but can you not change your options? Our school says you can after your results if you found you did better at something else etc. so maybe you could still change to History. Maths is fun tho don't drop it :frown:( (actually I don't agree all the time because maths annoys me a lot nvm)

We could only change it within the first few weeks. At the time I really hated history too, but I now love it. Btw how old did you think I was lol? I want to do essay based subjects but at the same time I need more 'traditional' subjects such as geog and maths.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest