The Student Room Group

How many marks would I lose if I didn't use paragraphs?

I forgot to use paragraphs in the AQA english language paper 1 exam. I only remembered at the end, but it was too late. How many marks would I lost?
hahahaha
Reply 2
Original post by arjanvirdi
I forgot to use paragraphs in the AQA english language paper 1 exam. I only remembered at the end, but it was too late. How many marks would I lost?

Did this happen on Q5? If so that will probably bring down your AO6 quite far (I think that is what is expected in band 1) so hopefully you have some really good punctuation to counteract that?
Doubt you'll be marked down massive on Q2 and 3, maybe a bit on 4 as your ideas will be merging together, but don't worry about that

It's all in the past now anyway- just focus on remembering paragraphs for paper 2 tomorrow! Good luck!
You need to have paragraphs in your writing otherwise, what would be the point in even having the exam in the first place? You need to be able to provide your skills in the exam. So whatever the question is, let's say, Section B of the exam, you would have to write paragraphs explaining your Point, Evidence and Explain on whatever the question has asked you.

It's easy. Don't think that the examiners would give you marks for a couple of sentences about the piece, because they wouldn't. The whole point of exams is that they look at how good your reading and writing skills are. If you want to succeed, write the paragraphs and obviously, don't forget to include language features - they're just as important!

Good Luck.
My friend did this in her mock exam and she got a 4 (equivalent to a C/D) so erm.. but hey at least its a pass! But im pretty sure you can make up for it in paper 2 hopefully dont forget!
Original post by arjanvirdi

Oh. Assessment criteria AO5 and AO6 carry 50% of the marks for paper 1 and therefore 25% of the marks for the whole qualification.

Depending on how you did on the rest of the criteria in both exams, kiss goodbye to 7+ and if the rest of the paper was averaging 6/7, it could still bring you down by one or even two grades to perhaps 5 or 6.

The assessment criteria clearly states:

AO5: Communicate clearly, effectively and imaginatively, selecting and adapting tone, style and register for different forms, purposes and audiences. Organise information and ideas, using structural and grammatical features to support coherence and cohesion of texts

AO6: Candidates must use a range of vocabulary and sentence structures for clarity, purpose and effect, with accurate spelling and punctuation. (This requirement must constitute 20% of the marks for each specification as a whole.)
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
I presume what you mean is that you included the usual components of each paragraph but just didn't space them out, in which case that's unfortunate, but hardly catastrophic. Theoretically, the examiner would only be able to mark you down on one of the assessment objectives for a lack of a clear structure, so as long as the rest of your skills were in place (syntax, grammar, points, evidence etc., not to mention the actual analysis) then it won't affect your overall grade too much.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending