Carlil v carbolic smoke ball co Watch

Mudtae
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello can u help me
I've been dying searching answer for my tutorial class about carlil v carbolic smoke ball cases
The question is about distinguishing features that made this an offer and acceptance situation
I hope there someone can help me with this question because I have limited knowledge in law because I only start my law class for 2 weeks and my teachers does not give a briefing about this case and we have to do it on my own 😭Tq
TimmonaPortella
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Have you tried reading the case? That's where I'd start.
Mudtae
Rep:
?
(Original post by TimmonaPortella)
Have you tried reading the case? That's where I'd start.
Yeah I've read the case but it quit hard to understand because the term that used and english is not my first language but thank you for your respond 🙂
jessjanellbhons1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The advertisement said:

"£100 reward will be paid by the Carbolic Smoke Ball Company to any person who contracts the influenza after having used the ball three times daily for two weeks according to the printed directions supplied with each ball...

£1000 is deposited with the Alliance Bank, shewing our sincerity in the matter."

It was an offer and not merely an invitation to treat for the following reasons:
"1. The statement referring to the deposit of £1,000 demonstrated intent and therefore it was not a mere sales puff.
2. It is quite possible to make an offer to the world.
3. In unilateral contracts there is no requirement that the offeree communicates an intention to accept, since acceptance is through full performance.
4. Whilst there may be some ambiguity in the wording this was capable of being resolved by applying a reasonable time limit or confining it to only those who caught flu whilst still using the balls.
5. The defendants would have value in people using the balls even if they had not been purchased by them directly."

See http://www.e-lawresources.co.uk/Carl...ke-Ball-Co.php for more info,
Mudtae
Rep:
?
Thank u so much for your help. I really appreciate it 🙂 May god bless u
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of West London
    Postgraduate Open Day - Ealing Site Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Bath
    Find out about life at the University and discover our diverse range of Undergraduate courses. Our course areas include the Sciences, Humanities & Social Sciences, Engineering & Design, and Management. Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (340)
15.73%
The paper was reasonable (1173)
54.28%
Not feeling great about that exam... (467)
21.61%
It was TERRIBLE (181)
8.38%

Watched Threads