Turn on thread page Beta

Bank Accounts for Overseas Postgraduate Students watch

ReputationRep:
    I'll be starting a PhD at an English university in October, but I've heard worrying reports of how difficult it can be for expatriates to open bank accounts in the UK. Given that I'll need a bank account as soon as I arrive and won't have time to hunt around, I thought I should start to look around while I'm here in Australia.

Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations along these lines? Most banks seem to have a residency requirement that I won't satisfy. A reasonable interest rate would be nice, but not at all essential, and I don't need an overdraft facility, but a credit card would be rather important. I already have a Visa card from Australia, but I don't fancy getting slapped with a Foreign Exchange fee every time I use it.

Any comments on which banks/accounts might be suitable for overseas postgrad students would be most welcome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Radagasty)
    I'll be starting a PhD at an English university in October, but I've heard worrying reports of how difficult it can be for expatriates to open bank accounts in the UK. Given that I'll need a bank account as soon as I arrive and won't have time to hunt around, I thought I should start to look around while I'm here in Australia.

Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations along these lines? Most banks seem to have a residency requirement that I won't satisfy. A reasonable interest rate would be nice, but not at all essential, and I don't need an overdraft facility, but a credit card would be rather important. I already have a Visa card from Australia, but I don't fancy getting slapped with a Foreign Exchange fee every time I use it.

Any comments on which banks/accounts might be suitable for overseas postgrad students would be most welcome.

How about one of the net based banks such as first direct?

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same boat in regards to a bank account. I was hoping I could open an HSBC account her in the States and be able to access it from an HSBC in the UK. Unfortunately, not. However, I found this on the HSBC UK website

http://www.ukpersonal.hsbc.co.uk/hsb...tudent-service

The requirements aren't hard to complete and it looks like it should satisfy your average students needs.

ReputationRep:
    you can only get an HSBC student account for postgraduate studies if you did your undergraduate (a it has to be a degree type from the list they give) within the last three years.

They are good though - I've had an HSBC student account since 1995

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sjb2016)
    I'm in the same boat in regards to a bank account. I was hoping I could open an HSBC account her in the States and be able to access it from an HSBC in the UK. Unfortunately, not. However, I found this on the HSBC UK website

http://www.ukpersonal.hsbc.co.uk/hsb...tudent-service

The requirements aren't hard to complete and it looks like it should satisfy your average students needs.
    Hmm... thanks for the link.

Looks like the HSBC International Students' Account should be fine, although the lack of a credit card is a serious drawback, because you can't order anything online without one. I've got an Australian VISA card, but I'd like one denominated in Pounds Sterling too.

I don't know why they won't let you access international accounts at the same bank. Just to wire money from Australia to England, I have to do an expensive telegraphic transfer, and it is no cheaper to do a HSBC->HCBS transfer than to another bank!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    How about one of the net based banks such as first direct?
    It has been suggested that for convenience's sake, I should open an account with one of the High Street banks, rather than with an internet-only bank. Is there any basis for this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Radagasty)
    It has been suggested that for convenience's sake, I should open an account with one of the High Street banks, rather than with an internet-only bank. Is there any basis for this?
    I can't see why there would be. Plus First Direct is owned by HSBC, and is very reliable IMHO.

I have FD and HSBC accounts, I can't see the need to sign up to a High Street Bank.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    I can't see why there would be. Plus First Direct is owned by HSBC, and is very reliable IMHO.

I have FD and HSBC accounts, I can't see the need to sign up to a High Street Bank.
    Hmm... true enough. How do you do a cash deposit with an internet bank, though?

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.