Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

advice and help needed pls! :-) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hi everyone. Im trying to decide what 4 AS levels to take next year and am stuck...ive decided to definitely take English Lit and Government and politics, and probably History as well. Anyway, i'd really appreciate any information on the following subjects (and are they easy, involve lots of work, interesting to do for A2 level, etc):

>History (Early modern) - i think the board would be AQA, but since i took History GCSE, the AS and A2 level involve an earlier part of history than what i studied at History GCSE. Can someone tell me more about it and if it is hard?
    >RS & Philosophy - this is a possible 4th As Level for me but im not sure what it involves as i havent considered taking it until recently!
    >French - this is one that i am really debating about. I know that this has already been asked, but is it really a big jump from GCSE? Im predicted A/A* in this subject at GCSE, but having looked through a friend's file (she took the AS this year) it looks complicated!!
    >English Language - i put this down as a 4th subject, but am not sure. English is a naturally strong subject for me, but iv been told that this is a less respected A level, especially if taken with English Literature.

Also, if i took Eng Lit, GovPol, History , What 4th subject would look better for prospective uni's?
    Thanks, as i have already said, any advice is sooo appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~nat~)
    hi everyone. Im trying to decide what 4 AS levels to take next year and am stuck...ive decided to definitely take English Lit and Government and politics, and probably History as well. Anyway, i'd really appreciate any information on the following subjects (and are they easy, involve lots of work, interesting to do for A2 level, etc):

>History (Early modern) - i think the board would be AQA, but since i took History GCSE, the AS and A2 level involve an earlier part of history than what i studied at History GCSE. Can someone tell me more about it and if it is hard?
    >RS & Philosophy - this is a possible 4th As Level for me but im not sure what it involves as i havent considered taking it until recently!
    >French - this is one that i am really debating about. I know that this has already been asked, but is it really a big jump from GCSE? Im predicted A/A* in this subject at GCSE, but having looked through a friend's file (she took the AS this year) it looks complicated!!
    >English Language - i put this down as a 4th subject, but am not sure. English is a naturally strong subject for me, but iv been told that this is a less respected A level, especially if taken with English Literature.

Also, if i took Eng Lit, GovPol, History , What 4th subject would look better for prospective uni's?
    Thanks, as i have already said, any advice is sooo appreciated!
    All the subjects (presuming history is a definate choice) are very highly respected - none are easy and all require work and they would all look equally good on your ucas form. Personally, if you are very good at french then that is the path i would take (i was pathetic at it though!), it looks a bit different to the rest and is also a useful skill to have. The number of different joint honour uni courses that involve french is also quite staggering and if you do enjoy it then it would look good with future employers too. Thats just my opinion, you cant really gow rong at all with any of them. Good luck!

G-W-D

ReputationRep:
    If you are definitely doing Government and Politics, do History. Early modern history I would guess is from about 1750-1900 - Is that right? If so, that'll be interesting (although, I personally did modern 20th Century stuff). It's not so much the content of History at A-level that makes it great, it's the skills it teaches you - essay writing, dealing with sources and the differing opinions of various historians.

Don't do English Lang on it's own as an AS unless you want to do English Lang at Uni. At my college you can combine English Lit and Lang in one AS, but even this is probably less well regarded that just doing English Literature as a single AS.

Although I don't do French myself, I have been assured by French that doing any modern foreign languages at AS and A-level involve a larger leap from GCSE than most other subjects. Don't do this unless you are predicted A* at GCSE and really really really love the language, the culture etc.

RS and Philosophy would probably be your best bet for a fourth subject, provided you can deal with people's different opinions and beliefs etc. I did Philosophy by itself and found it fascinating, RS is probably a bit more relevant to the real world, and by combining the two in a single AS, you will get the best of both worlds. My advice, is that this one in the fourth subject you should take.

One last question: Any career goals or ideas as to what you want to study at University? It might seem a long way away - but if you have any ideas it could be helpful to direct your AS choices towards this...

Hope that helped...

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.