amin11234
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm expecting a grade 8 (A*) in my gcse maths and i dont know which maths to study at a level. My favourite topics are algebra, graphs, geometry and trigonometry to some extent but that's it really. I dont like doing things like ratio, proportion, rates of change and things on probability.

I dont know what the topics are like in both maths and further maths so i hope that some of you could help me out.
username3359982
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by amin11234)
I'm expecting a grade 8 (A*) in my gcse maths and i dont know which maths to study at a level. My favourite topics are algebra, graphs, geometry and trigonometry to some extent but that's it really. I dont like doing things like ratio, proportion, rates of change and things on probability.

I dont know what the topics are like in both maths and further maths so i hope that some of you could help me out.
I'd say when you do end up getting a grade 8, take up both of them and see if you actually like FM. If you don't then you can drop it and pick up another subject.
amin11234
Rep:
?
(Original post by Galen's Statue)
I'd say when you do end up getting a grade 8, take up both of them and see if you actually like FM. If you don't then you can drop it and pick up another subject.
Yeah that's my plan at the minute. Do you know what gcse topics the a level maths and further maths really focus on? Like algebra or probability or something like that?
S2M
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah that's my plan at the minute. Do you know what gcse topics the a level maths and further maths really focus on? Like algebra or probability or something like that?
I think it's more Algebra and Geometry.
amin11234
Rep:
?
(Original post by S2M)
I think it's more Algebra and Geometry.
Is that for normal maths or further maths?
S2M
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Is that for normal maths or further maths?
Yes I think so.
AHappyStudent
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

There are 3 modules per year per maths subject. For 1st year maths, you'll probably be doing Core 1 and Core 2, both pure maths with lots of fairly easy algebra, graphs and trig, and Mechanics 1 which you might find enjoyable.

1st year further maths probably varies between colleges, but at my college we had to take Further Pure 1 (more pure maths and harder than C1 and C2), Statistics 1 (I don't particularly like statistics but it is lots of maths still and fairly easy) and Decision 1 (not much maths, basically using basic algorithms to find optimal solutions to problems).

2nd year, you'll probably be able to choose what modules you'll like so you can stick with mechanics and pure maths if you want which is the stuff you like

I'd look at the college/s that you're going/applying to and see what modules you take in maths and further maths and what decisions you can make about it. Anything 'Core' or 'Further Pure' is the stuff that you said you liked and you'll probably like Mechanics. Stats and Decision aren't enjoyable but they're fairly easy.
plankyton
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Topics that are explained in more detail from GCSE include coordinate geometry, trig, differentiation, algebra and sequences. This year we've covered C1-4 as well as M1 and M2 as I'm doing further maths however if you don't choose to do FM in the end you'll probably be doing something like learning C1-4 in the first year and either mechanics or statistics in the next!
Philip-flop
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Maths or Further Maths?

Do you mean?...
Maths
or
Maths and Further Maths

You'll either be allowed to do Maths on its own, or you take both.
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

The specifications for the new maths A level and further maths A level can be found on the examiners web sites. They will tell you exactly what is covered. There is of course a lot of algebra and trigonometry but the topic of rates of change is a critical one in all of A level maths and the study of some probability is a mandatory part of the standard A level specification. As others have pointed out you either study just maths A level - which has standard content across all examiners - or maths and further maths which is two A levels. There are some optional parts in further maths which allow you to focus to some extent on what you are interested in or avoid things you hate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (220)
43.82%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (56)
11.16%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (38)
7.57%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (106)
21.12%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (55)
10.96%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise