The Student Room Group

A-level Economics

Hi Guys,

I am interested in taking economics in college and maybe taking it in uni and I have been strongly recommended to take A-level Maths. However, Maths is not one of my strong subjects and I have some concerns. I have recently been told of another course which takes a more practical look: Mathematical studies level 3.

First of all, how realistic is it that a 6-grade student at GCSE maths with 110% effort given can achieve a grade A* or A in Maths.

How much weight do universities give to the Mathematical courses and is it a suitable substitute to A-level Maths? Would it enable me to get into a good business/economics course?

If I take maths or mathematics course at college, I am quite reluctant to give up one of the courses I have applied to do and am considering the option of taking 4 A-levels.Is this a stupid idea?

The courses I want to take is
Law
Economics
Government and Politics
And maybe Maths or the mathematical study.
Depends if you're set on doing an economics degree at university. It's nearly polar opposites with the A-level (but unis still really respect it), especially microeconomics as it has you wrestling with all kinds of equations, some of which businesses and investors don't even use.

I reckon it's near-certain if you finish with a grade 6 (is that an A/B in this stupid new system?) in GCSE maths that they will let you take AS maths. At some colleges they will definitely let you in with grade 5 provided you can prove yourself from the outset.

In terms of grade requirements to do Econ at a respectable university, you'll need at least an A in A Level Maths. The Russell Groups are incredibly stubborn on this requirement, and are even giving more places on average to further maths students. I doubt this course you've been told about is enough to garner many offers from Russell Groups, if they are your final aim. The weighting towards maths is incredibly high.

The courses you want to take are perfectly realistic for an Econ degree, they will give you plenty to talk about in your personal statement come the time, and if you're not looking to do Law at degree-level, A level Law is wonderful to have.

I for one wished I could do an Econ degree, but chose Law instead on account of my inability to apply myself to maths :tongue:
Original post by Cupholder
Depends if you're set on doing an economics degree at university. It's nearly polar opposites with the A-level (but unis still really respect it), especially microeconomics as it has you wrestling with all kinds of equations, some of which businesses and investors don't even use.

I reckon it's near-certain if you finish with a grade 6 (is that an A/B in this stupid new system?) in GCSE maths that they will let you take AS maths. At some colleges they will definitely let you in with grade 5 provided you can prove yourself from the outset.

In terms of grade requirements to do Econ at a respectable university, you'll need at least an A in A Level Maths. The Russell Groups are incredibly stubborn on this requirement, and are even giving more places on average to further maths students. I doubt this course you've been told about is enough to garner many offers from Russell Groups, if they are your final aim. The weighting towards maths is incredibly high.

The courses you want to take are perfectly realistic for an Econ degree, they will give you plenty to talk about in your personal statement come the time, and if you're not looking to do Law at degree-level, A level Law is wonderful to have.

I for one wished I could do an Econ degree, but chose Law instead on account of my inability to apply myself to maths :tongue:

Err. Ever look at other Unis like L'boro who are outperforming some RGs? IMO RGs are great and have that status for a reason, but other institutions are doing pretty well to compete. Not all of them require heavy-maths based knowledge/A levels and stuff but happy that you chose Law because it's a great area to get into.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by SubZero~
Err. Ever look at other Unis like L'boro who are outperforming some RGs?

Thought they still wanted maths? I might be mistaken.

People do tend to idolise the RG's, it's true.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Err. Ever look at other Unis like L'boro who are outperforming some RGs?

Yeah, outperforming in student satisfaction. Loughborough is a **** uni.
Thought they still wanted maths? I might be mistaken.

People do tend to idolise the RG's, it's true.

Yeah edited my post, sorry. I guess pure Economics does require a lot of Maths-based knowledge to be honest, but you can do other courses that delve into Economics e.g. I want to study International Business a L'boro and some of the modules crossover from Accounting and Economics too.
Original post by trooper3
Yeah, outperforming in student satisfaction. Loughborough is a **** uni.

LOL. Okay. :rofl:
Yeah edited my post, sorry. I guess pure Economics does require a lot of Maths-based knowledge to be honest, but you can do other courses that delve into Economics e.g. I want to study International Business a L'boro and some of the modules crossover from Accounting and Economics too.

I do like Loughborough for their flexibility, they've got a great amount of crossover degrees that can cater to a lot of needs.

However, I also had in mind the connections RGs benefit from. If you want to make your way in London as an economist, the careers fairs for Econ that are held at the top RGs are as invaluable as the ones for Law.
I do like Loughborough for their flexibility, they've got a great amount of crossover degrees that can cater to a lot of needs.

However, I also had in mind the connections RGs benefit from. If you want to make your way in London as an economist, the careers fairs for Econ that are held at the top RGs are as invaluable as the ones for Law.

Yeah, also very true.
A grade A in maths is possible if you put in the work. It's really up to you. How hard do you want the A/A*?
Reply 10
Original post by pereira325
A grade A in maths is possible if you put in the work. It's really up to you. How hard do you want the A/A*?

You have no idea. As long as maybe taking on I hobby, i am devoted to trying to ace my A-levels. I am just not sure if hard work is enough as I have heard that it is hard
Reply 11

Yes i do want to go to a Russell Group University and so I have to may sure i nailed A-level maths or whatever sort of maths course i take. I am also unsure about the workload so I have to be sure if I can handle four a level and one I have found difficult.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by LastSon
You have no idea. As long as maybe taking on I hobby, i am devoted to trying to ace my A-levels. I am just not sure if hard work is enough as I have heard that it is hard

Nah it is. It's hard for everyone tbh but if you ask for help and understand your mistakes you stop making them. Fair enough?
Reply 13
Original post by pereira325
Nah it is. It's hard for everyone tbh but if you ask for help and understand your mistakes you stop making them. Fair enough?

Makes sense, thanks dude

Quick Reply

Latest