Stationery in the UK

Watch this thread
singzeon
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi there,

I'm from Singapore and will be heading to Manchester to study this September.

Just a random thought, where do UK students usually get their stationery from? What major stationery shops are there? (I'm referring to basic stationery, not those really pretty / artsy ones.)

Also, what're some common brands for pens? Personally, I have been using Uni-ball Signo UM-151 0.38mm (for normal work) and Stabilo Liner 808 Medium (for exams). Are these models common in the UK too?

Lastly, do students tend to buy stationery at physical stores, or simply order them online and wait for delivery?
MoshBosh
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by singzeon)
Hi there,

Just a random thought, where do UK students usually get their stationery from? What major stationery shops are there? (I'm referring to basic stationery, not those really pretty / artsy ones.)

Also, what're some common brands for pens? Personally, I have been using Uni-ball Signo UM-151 0.38mm (for normal work) and Stabilo Liner 808 Medium (for exams). Are these models common in the UK too?

Lastly, do students tend to buy stationery at physical stores, or simply order them online and wait for delivery?
There are plenty of stationery shops in Manchester, such as WH Smith or Ryman's. However, personally I just order stationery from amazon.co.uk, it is usually the cheapest and delivery is usual only one day.

Regarding the models, you should be able to find all the stationary you need
plankyton
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Usually during the summer there's a tonne of back to school sales where you can buy stationery. Typical stores are WHSmith and Ryman however it's usually cheaper to find stationery in common supermarkets (Tesco, Sainsbury's - once the school year has started you can get really cheap stationery here as all the leftovers from the main sale tend to get further discounted!). Or just order online (amazon, ebay)
lemxn
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Even cheap shops like Poundland will have most of what you are looking for
HHJ11
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by singzeon)
Hi there,

Honestly, the model of pens are quite irrelevant, as long as they're black in ink and ballpoint, they should be fine (depending on your rules/regulations for exams, assignments etc)

Rymans, The Works and Staples all are great for stationery, but I think more people are ordering online from sites such as Amazon, Rymans etc., as it's easier and more convenient for them and some have great offers on

Also, I'd recommend making a Unidays account with your email address, as it can really help with discounts and stuff!
ChairmanMeow1601
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I would advise to buy all of your pens in Singapore! I'm a British student who waits to go to Singapore for my stationery! It's cheaper and there's more selection!

Posted from TSR Mobile
singzeon
Rep:
(Original post by ChairmanMeow1601)
I would advise to buy all of your pens in Singapore! I'm a British student who waits to go to Singapore for my stationery! It's cheaper and there's more selection!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you for the suggestion! I did think of that, but I cannot imagine bulk buying lots of stationery and bringing it over hahah
singzeon
Rep:
(Original post by Haider_A)
Honestly, the model of pens are quite irrelevant, as long as they're black in ink and ballpoint, they should be fine (depending on your rules/regulations for exams, assignments etc)

Rymans, The Works and Staples all are great for stationery, but I think more people are ordering online from sites such as Amazon, Rymans etc., as it's easier and more convenient for them and some have great offers on

Also, I'd recommend making a Unidays account with your email address, as it can really help with discounts and stuff!
Thanks for the Unidays recommendation.

Actually, I do know that generally black pens are acceptable for exams and all, but I mentioned them in case perhaps anyone may be using the same models and can advise me on where to buy them in UK.

Of course, different models are fine too. Thanks for all your suggestions!
singzeon
Rep:
Thank you MoshBosh, plankyton and lemxn for your responses too~! Much appreciated.
Tubbz
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Your first type, you may need to go online for, the other are readily available. You'll find something equivalent.
fxlloutboyy
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I love Wilkos for stationery

Posted from TSR Mobile
mche
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I like cute stationery and I usually buy from modes4u.com
They dispatch orders very quick.
TheWorm1234
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
First of all, welcome to Manchester! It's my home city and I promise you will enjoy living here. There is a Ryman's on Oxford Road a short walk away from the universities and many of the universities also sell stationary in the student union shops.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (270)
42.39%
The paper was reasonable (262)
41.13%
Not feeling great about that exam... (58)
9.11%
It was TERRIBLE (47)
7.38%

Watched Threads