The Student Room Group

Should I fast track an A level?

My dream is to get into Oxford uni to do ancient and modern history, but stupidly I did not think of this when choosing my a levels. I took Classics, Modern History and Film Studies. I've been told film will bring me down, and I basically won't even be considered as an applicant because it's a 'weak' a level. I've been advised to drop it and pick up and entirely new a level and fast track that in my final year. Is it worth it? I can't say I want to do that. And what do I take?
Original post by _daisylynch
My dream is to get into Oxford uni to do ancient and modern history, but stupidly I did not think of this when choosing my a levels. I took Classics, Modern History and Film Studies. I've been told film will bring me down, and I basically won't even be considered as an applicant because it's a 'weak' a level. I've been advised to drop it and pick up and entirely new a level and fast track that in my final year. Is it worth it? I can't say I want to do that. And what do I take?

You asked the same question not long ago, and the consensus was that there was nothing wrong with Film Studies. Are you looking for more reassurance, or have you had further advice that makes you question what was said here last time? If so, perhaps it would be helpful to share that so we can take it into consideration?
Otherwise, I guess the main caution over fast-tracking a new A Level in one year is that you will risk your grades - presumably, you will have to put extra time into it to ensure you get at least an A grade, and this may detract from your other subjects. That may kill your chances altogether, no matter how "strong" a subject your advisor says your new A Level is.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending