The Student Room Group

Edexcel Maths: Core C4 6666 23 Jun 2017 [Exam Discussion]

This poll is closed

How did you find the 2017 Edexcel C4 exam?

Amazing! :woo: 11%
Good :H 19%
Okay :bebored: 28%
Bad :cry2: 20%
HORRIBLE PAPER!! :@23%
Total votes: 1552

Statement from the president of Pearson regarding leaks

UNOFFICIAL MARK SCHEME

Edexcel C4 - 23rd June 2017 - Official Thread

If you have any extra resources, whether you've just found them or made them, just post here and I'll link them!

Exam Dates
Friday 23rd June 2017 am - C4 - 90mins

Want an A* overall?
You need to get 80% across the whole A-level and 180/200 in C3 and C4. The minimum requirement is to get 75/100 in C1, C2, your AS applied module and your A2 applied module. Then you'll need 180/200 across C3 and C4.

Before you ask, you don't need 90/100 in both, you need to average 90 in both - so 80/100 in C3 and 100/100 in C4 along with an A at AS will give you an A*.

Resources:
Exam solutions videos for C4
Various C4 resources
MyMaths
HegartyMaths C4
TSR guide for C4 Vectors exam questions

Past Papers/Practice Papers:
Edexcel C4 Papers
OCR C4 Papers
OCR MEI C4 Papers
Solomon C4 Papers
Bronze/Silver/Gold C4 Papers (Bronze = easy, Silver = intermediate, Gold = hard)
IYGB C4 Papers
[url="http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-international-advanced-levels/mathematics.coursematerials.html#filterQuery=category:Pearson-UK:Category%2FExam-materials&filterQuery=category:Pearson-UK[excludedFace]u[/excludedFace]nit%2FPaper-C34"]IAL Papers (C3 and C4 combined, hard)

AEA Papers (C1-4 combined, hard)

Now you've got no excuse for saying you don't have any maths work to do! This would last a lifetime, but in the unlikely event you do run out of maths to do - buy some cheap secondhand textbooks off of Amazon and that should keep you going!

Have fun!

(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Find a unit based vectors in the direction of l2 and multiply it by the size of PE, then you should be able to see what to do from here.
Reply 3
I cant visualise this question, can someone explain which is correct and why? You get different answers for both.
Q.jpg
Reply 4
Original post by GenjiPro
I cant visualise this question, can someone explain which is correct and why? You get different answers for both.
Q.jpg

the second one is right because AP is 3 times larger than BP and that's what your 2nd diagram is showing

Posted from TSR Mobile
If anyone is interested in doing mathematics at university, follow this link: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4775132
I have published my notes from year 1 and 2 from the UoBath. Granted not all courses are the same, but it will give you a rough idea of the stuff you might come across. If it looks confusing don't worry, it's just the notation but you'll get used to that.
Q.jpg

Your first/left diagram is more correct, whereas the right one is just wrong.

It clearly states that "P lies on AB" not the other way round! This means that P has to lie somewhere in between AB. It also states that "AP = 3BP" which means the distance of AP is 3 times greater than the distance of BP. I have drawn a diagram below to show this...
Attachment not found

Original post by Habeebah
the second one is right because AP is 3 times larger than BP and that's what your 2nd diagram is showing

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are actually wrong in saying that the second one is right! How can the second diagram satisfy the statement that "P lies on AB"?
For P to lie on AB it must mean that it is somewhere on the line between points A and B. I have described this above.
Reply 7
Original post by Philip-flop
Your first/left diagram is more correct, whereas the right one is just wrong.

It clearly states that "P lies on AB" not the other way round! This means that P has to lie somewhere in between AB. It also states that "AP = 3BP" which means the distance of AP is 3 times greater than the distance of BP. I have drawn a diagram below to show this...
Attachment not found

You are actually wrong in saying that the second one is right! How can the second diagram satisfy the statement that "P lies on AB"?
For P to lie on AB it must mean that it is somewhere on the line between points A and B. I have described this above.

The MS agrees with what he/she said, it's the 2nd one not the first. I think the key wording here is "P Lies on AB Produced". The wording of this question is a bit strange.
The MS agrees with what he/she said, it's the 2nd one not the first. I think the key wording here is "P Lies on AB Produced". The wording of this question is a bit strange.

OMG really? That is a very weird question! Can you explain to me what the word "produced" means in this context? Does it just mean a line that is produced from extending off of the line AB?

Such a ridiculous question!

Also, I apologise for stating what you had said was wrong. This question is definitely misleading!
For questions thatt state something like "solve the differential equation" does that just mean find y=f(x) y = f(x) or a certain mentioned form? So as in, I have to separate the variables etc.
(edited 6 years ago)
For questions thatt state something like "solve the differential equation" does that just mean find y=f(x) y = f(x) or a certain mentioned form? So as in, I have to separate the variables etc.

It means find an equation without any dy/dx's (by separation of variables), if you're asked to give it in a particular form, then obviously you should do that.
Original post by NotNotBatman
It means find an equation without any dy/dx's (by separation of variables), if you're asked to give it in a particular form, then obviously you should do that.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 12
OMG really? That is a very weird question! Can you explain to me what the word "produced" means in this context? Does it just mean a line that is produced from extending off of the line AB?

Such a ridiculous question!

Also, I apologise for stating what you had said was wrong. This question is definitely misleading!

Yep, produced just means extend/continue a line. The wording is confusing :/
Hey was just wondering what's the difference between normal and 'R' papers?
Original post by Alex-d19
Hey was just wondering what's the difference between normal and 'R' papers?

R- Regional Papers. I believe that they are papers that you sit if you are doing the paper outside of the UK. I've heard that it's due to the time difference, but not entirely sure
When do we compare coefficients? I know when to use it when finding the numerators of partial fractions but other than that I'm never completely sure :frown:
Reply 16
When do we compare coefficients? I know when to use it when finding the numerators of partial fractions but other than that I'm never completely sure :frown:

We compare coefficients because when the number in front of the x^2 or x^3 will be the same as the value calculated from expanding the brackets, with the same x^2 or x^3. Make sense? its like working backwards, which is essentially what partial fraction is.
Original post by MsMode
We compare coefficients because when the number in front of the x^2 or x^3 will be the same as the value calculated from expanding the brackets, with the same x^2 or x^3. Make sense? its like working backwards, which is essentially what partial fraction is.

But what about examples besides partial fractions ?
Reply 18
when doing differential equations, can you always just work out the plus C at the end? if you make changes to the whole equation eg times by -3, can you just leave the +C as +C?
Original post by lydiaws
when doing differential equations, can you always just work out the plus C at the end? if you make changes to the whole equation eg times by -3, can you just leave the +C as +C?

Write +k where k =-3c

Quick Reply