Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know the best University for Journalism? I've been looking at a few prospectus' and so far i can see very few that offer the course

ReputationRep:
    Sheffield has a course that is supposedly very good, I think Cardiff does it too. However, if one wishes to become a journalist doing a journalism degree may not be the best way to get into the industry. One of my friends has his heart set on being a journalist and has recently decided that he won't apply for a journalism but instead, English. I think he emailed various organistions (emap, bbc etc) and they all stated a slight preference on other subjects, such as English, History, Politics etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cellardore)
    Anyone know the best University for Journalism? I've been looking at a few prospectus' and so far i can see very few that offer the course
    As the above poster has stated a Journalism degree is not always the best way to get into the profession and I believe that as a degree it is still struggeling to gain respectability and credibility amongst some of the people that it aims to please.

A degree in English or another "traditional" subject would probably leave you far better suited and would also allow you a wider range of options after graduation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)
    A degree in English or another "traditional" subject would probably leave you far better suited and would also allow you a wider range of options after graduation.
    From what i've been told, people who usually do English or History degrees don't do very well job wise (funnily enough i do English and History at A level)
    I have thought about doing a Politics degree, would that get me into the profession?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cellardore)
    From what i've been told, people who usually do English or History degrees don't do very well job wise (funnily enough i do English and History at A level)
    I have thought about doing a Politics degree, would that get me into the profession?
    Who told you that?! Most of the journalists I've met on work experience (at major newspapers and publishing companies, eg. the Telegraph and Emap) have done degrees in English or sometimes History, supporting what the above two posters have said That doesn't mean you shouldn't do journalism or something else if you find it more interesting, but those two subjects are very well-respected.

With journalism, though, no particular degree will get you "into the profession". All that will get you in is *loads* of work experience, good contacts, the right attitude... and even more work experience If you don't have that, then no matter what degree you do, you won't get ahead in the industry. Do a degree that interests you and that you will do well in - and then work on the other stuff.

ReputationRep:
    i have a friend, whose been told by her uncle who works at Daily Telegraph, to do English at degree level, and then do a masters in journalism....

however, she has decided to do Law, and she cnt cope wiv english, and then maybe go on to do journalism as a masters....

Hope it helps.... :cool:

ReputationRep:
    The Sheffield course is good because the department is headed and run by former professional journalists (look at the profiles on the website). Could be nice for references and stuff

ReputationRep:
    Well I originally applied to do Journalism, however later declined my offers and now I'm doing Biology. Undergraduate journalism wasn't for me, although it may be the route for you. However, doing an undergraduate degree in a traditional academic subject then doing Journalism at postgrad level seems to be the more sensible option.

Saying that, you mentioned you've taken History. What about applying to the Queen Mary/City Journalism & Contemporary History course? It offers the best of both worlds; each is well respected in their field (Journalism is taught at City and History at Queen Mary) and the course even involves the study of a foreign language. What more could you possibly ask for?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I'm going to do a degree in English (hopefully) and then (if I have any money left) I'm probably going to do a post-grad in journalism. I've heard Cardiff and City are good for post grad journalism courses. Sheffield is probably the most "respectable" uni that does journalism for undergrads. Bournmouth has a good reputation too for journalism and media type things

ReputationRep:
    same here..definetely aiming for a career in journalism
    I had the same dilemma a few years ago but then made up my mind about studying politics and doing a masters degree on journalism.

i'll be a freshman pursuing the course politics with economics at Bath this year. My suggestion, aside choosing a course which will enhance your vision towards life eg.politics,english, is to keep an eye on the course programme whether it has options regarding to journalism. For instance, at Bath in the second year you may have a subject like Media Politics, which I certainly will take as an option. Plus, in my course there's an option of a work placement which you may work in a media institution in your third year and get actually paid. Thus you get enough money to afford master's.

hope it helps

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 27, 2004
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.