Why don't doctors tell you about the side effects of antidepressants?

Watch
bemyplusone
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Don't get me wrong, i love my antidepressants. I feel MUCH better after taking them. But why don't doctors tell you of the unbearable side effects? Has anyone else experienced these?

Short term negative side effects that disappeared after a few weeks: racing thoughts, anxiety, panic attacks, diarrhoea, constipation, nausea, confusion, brain zaps, loss of appetite, insomnia, irritability

Long term negative side effects: very vivid dreams, extreme night sweats, lack of motivation, lethargy, short term memory recollection issues

Neutral side effects: tingling sensation in stomach, sensation of my head feels strange/different

Positive side effects: euphoria, stable emotional state, gradual mood lift, harder to become upset, extreme focus, disappearance of social anxiety, calmer, more friendly and very relaxed.
username2911200
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by bemyplusone)
Don't get me wrong, i love my antidepressants. I feel MUCH better after taking them. But why don't doctors tell you of the unbearable side effects? Has anyone else experienced these?

Short term negative side effects: racing thoughts, anxiety, panic attacks, diarrhoea, constipation, nausea, confusion, brain zaps, loss of appetite, insomnia, irritability

Long term negative side effects: very vivid dreams, extreme night sweats, lack of motivation, lethargy, short term memory recollection issues

Neutral side effects: tingling sensation in stomach, sensation of my head feels strange/different

Positive side effects: euphoria, stable emotional state, gradual mood lift, harder to become upset, extreme focus, disappearance of social anxiety, calmer, more friendly and very relaxed.
They assume that as you've been able to navigate the very easy appointment system, you're intelligent enough to read the easy to read information leaflet which comes with every single medication, about side effects. It's then up to you if you want to risk getting side effects or not, the fact you've asked for help from a qualified professional show them you trust their judgement about what is going to help you.
Gerry-Atricks
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You got all of these side effects?
That is a lot
Rooster11366
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
They have 15 minutes to work out problem. You have all day to read leaflet before taking them.

You should that with any medication you are given.
Tiger Rag
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
They don't tell you the side effects of most medication. The problem, as mentioned above, is they only have 15 minutes.
Jackieox
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Because not everybody gets the same side effects so they don't want to worry people by saying "YOU WILL GET XYZ' when they might not. It's all clearly explained in the leaflet and you are welcome to make another appointment if they are really affecting you
Learndriving
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
How long have you taken them? Sometimes You can get use to the side effects or they wear off. Usually 6 months. If they don't they can give you adjuncts or switch to another drug.
Rooster11366
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you have been on them for some time. Then it might be worth a medication review
Beth_H
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Talking about side effects etc. is really the responsibility of the pharmacist who fills the prescription, although, as has been pointed out, there is a list of side effects included with the medication, and you can find most of the information online anyway.
Rooster11366
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Beth_H)
Talking about side effects etc. is really the responsibility of the pharmacist who fills the prescription, although, as has been pointed out, there is a list of side effects included with the medication, and you can find most of the information online anyway.
Pharmacist only has to confirm medication is correct. Also make sure you are the right person. If you ask them.they will help you go through any side effects.

Also if they do a medication review with you. I think then they will also confirm you are aware of side effects.
username1842595
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Short term negative side effects that disappeared after a few weeks: racing thoughts, anxiety, panic attacks, diarrhoea, constipation, nausea, confusion, brain zaps, loss of appetite, insomnia, irritability

Youre meant to read the leaflet.

(Original post by Beth_H)
Thats not the pharmacists job.
OGGUS
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Some of this doesn't sound normal.
Anonymous #1
Report 3 years ago
There's a leaflet for a reason? You're supposed to read the leaflet before taking them. Just like reading an instruction manual when getting a new item.

My Doctor only mentioned the increase in suicidal thoughts as a side effect when taking them only however I never bothered taking them due to that reason & I was too anxious to take them so instead I opted to have a therapist instead.
acd55
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

doctors usually should tell you that it takes a couple of weeks to start working, and you might get some side effects in the 1st couple of weeks. It can be hard to do in a 10 minute appointment and the information is there for people on the leaflet. SSRIs have many potential side effects. The most important side effect to tell though probably is an increase potentially in suicidal ideation for SSRIs, as it is important then to seek help.
mashbbk
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

I would have thought they would have told you about the side effects (at least the most common ones).

To be fair, the side effects of even paracetamol is a long reading, like insurance Terms & Conditions - so am not sure if they could be expected to go through every possible side effect one could get.
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

You can always ask the pharmacist and you should always look up the side effects on the internet before taking anything. Any pill that you take has side effects.

I was on them following my **** ex husband cheating on me with a ******. w***e. They were fantastic and I don't think I could have survived without them. I was seriously in a bad way mentally. After about two months I developed a skin rash which was so itchy. As I was feeling better, I started to come off them and then got severe anxiety withdrawal symptoms. I was having panic attacks and sweating. Heart racing, ectopics etc. It took about three weeks for this to stop. I don't regret taking them but yep they have side effects.
Tiger Rag
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by mashbbk)

To be fair, the side effects of even paracetamol is a long reading, like insurance Terms & Conditions - so am not sure if they could be expected to go through every possible side effect one could get.
Indeed. And 99% of them, you wouldn't get.

I've been on a few anti depressants and was only warned about the chronic tiredness I may get. It would have also been nice to have been warned about the suicidal thoughts as well.
mashbbk
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Tiger Rag)
Indeed. And 99% of them, you wouldn't get.

I've been on a few anti depressants and was only warned about the chronic tiredness I may get. It would have also been nice to have been warned about the suicidal thoughts as well.
I wonder if doctors have any incentives to not put people off taking drugs, which could in most cases improve someone's quality of life. But I guess something as serious as that should be mentioned - then again, there probably aren't many side effects which may be considered non-serious...
Moonstruck16
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Unless you're being administered the drugs voluntarily, it is up to you to take the drugs. As such, it is up to you to read the leaflet and do your own research before you put anything in your mouth. That being said, I'm surprised they didn't talk it through with you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Drs don't tell you the side effects of most things. They're all written out on the leaflet and it'd take time to go through it all. Besides, you usually won't get half the side effects anyway so just reading through the leaflet and contacting your dr if you do have any concerns is enough.

I do think they should maybe encourage you a bit more to read the leaflet or mention the more common stuff with ADs though seeing as A) most people will get at least some unpleasant side effect B) there is a window of annoying side effects before it starts to help and C) frankly the people taking them are more likely to get freaked out by side effects as they could easily have some anxiety issues.
I've heard a lot of people thinking the ADs they're taking aren't working or that they should come off them in that window so having a quick mention that it will feel pretty lousy to start could really help.

But some drs will already do that. As with most things it depends who you see. I'm pretty sure the psych who prescribes mine mentioned side effects and the window period etc. They're in less of a rush though cos they have longer appt times etc. With a GP they have a 10min time slot to assess your situation, work out ADs would benefit you, decide what ADs and prescribe them. Even a simple little "they have side effects btw" is a tad more difficult in that time frame.

All drs would do to tell you side effects is tell you what the leaflet says anyway- it's not like they can remember the side effects for every medication- so you might as well just read it yourself.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.1%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (84)
19.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.37%
No - I live at home during term anyway (126)
29.51%

Watched Threads