Anxiety about new job/incompetence

Watch
xxJazxx
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm starting a new job tomorrow, nothing special - just a customer service role in a call centre. I'll only be doing this temporarily for a few months as I have something else set up for October onwards.

I've been feeling so anxious about tomorrow though. I know everyone gets nervous in new environments but I tend to just shutdown and become so quiet and withdrawn around new groups people. Then once I've come across as the 'quiet girl' it's impossible to change that and speak up when I eventually begin feeling more comfortable. I find it hard to make new friends because of this and although I have a small handful of very close friends already, I'd like to try to push myself into forming some friendships in this new job.

Another factor is my anxiety relating to feeling incompetent. In past jobs and even whilst in education, I've always felt utterly unable to deal with tasks the way other people do and incompetent in even very basic skills. I get stressed out very easily and hate my inability to cope under pressure.

I'm determined to make the best of this situation though! I really want to begin on a good note this coming week. I know I need to think of this as a new challenge and as an opportunity to develop my confidence. Does anyone have any tips for remaining positive and 'faking' confidence around new people? How can I stop doubting my ability to get things done? I've been through a lot and accomplished a lot despite it all and I try to remind myself of that but I'm overly self-critical and really need to be kinder to myself. I just don't know how to put that into practice!

Sorry for the ramble; I think I just needed to vent my feelings but any advice would still be appreciated.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by xxJazxx)
I'm starting a new job tomorrow, nothing special - just a customer service role in a call centre. I'll only be doing this temporarily for a few months as I have something else set up for October onwards.

I've been feeling so anxious about tomorrow though. I know everyone gets nervous in new environments but I tend to just shutdown and become so quiet and withdrawn around new groups people. Then once I've come across as the 'quiet girl' it's impossible to change that and speak up when I eventually begin feeling more comfortable. I find it hard to make new friends because of this and although I have a small handful of very close friends already, I'd like to try to push myself into forming some friendships in this new job.

Another factor is my anxiety relating to feeling incompetent. In past jobs and even whilst in education, I've always felt utterly unable to deal with tasks the way other people do and incompetent in even very basic skills. I get stressed out very easily and hate my inability to cope under pressure.

I'm determined to make the best of this situation though! I really want to begin on a good note this coming week. I know I need to think of this as a new challenge and as an opportunity to develop my confidence. Does anyone have any tips for remaining positive and 'faking' confidence around new people? How can I stop doubting my ability to get things done? I've been through a lot and accomplished a lot despite it all and I try to remind myself of that but I'm overly self-critical and really need to be kinder to myself. I just don't know how to put that into practice!

Sorry for the ramble; I think I just needed to vent my feelings but any advice would still be appreciated.

Hi sounds like you are talking yourself into trouble.

1. Focus on the job in hand and for the fiirst week you are in training, so they expect the following:

To be able to do the tasks in the job description competently. That s why you were hired.

That means listening to what they tell you. have a pen and notepad handy so you can write important information down. If you dont understand then ask and make a note.

Any time you dont understand , then ask so you know what you are doing and if you ask properly plus make a note, then you wont have to ask again. Its better than getting things wrong.

Remember nobody knows you or in fact is really concerned about you. If its induction then make friends with the other inductees just with small talk. Same with your colleagues.

Have good manners, be sociable, but do what they ask as its a job. People will not mind if you work hard and contribute to the team.

Try and smile plus learn peoples names plus good manners costs nothing. What you cant do is regress into the shy awkward girl. I think lunches are awkward so decide if its a packed lunch or of they have a cafeteria. Maybe someone will taje you under their wing o you will make a friend.

The key is dont let a set back be anything more than temporary. Learn your job as quickly as possible. Keep notes on what you learned and key info.

If you keep pushing forward you will be fine. its natural to be nervous.

Take it one day at a time and just be the inner confident person you want to be.

GL
xxJazxx
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Hi sounds like you are talking yourself into trouble.

1. Focus on the job in hand and for the fiirst week you are in training, so they expect the following:

To be able to do the tasks in the job description competently. That s why you were hired.

That means listening to what they tell you. have a pen and notepad handy so you can write important information down. If you dont understand then ask and make a note.

Any time you dont understand , then ask so you know what you are doing and if you ask properly plus make a note, then you wont have to ask again. Its better than getting things wrong.

Remember nobody knows you or in fact is really concerned about you. If its induction then make friends with the other inductees just with small talk. Same with your colleagues.

Have good manners, be sociable, but do what they ask as its a job. People will not mind if you work hard and contribute to the team.

Try and smile plus learn peoples names plus good manners costs nothing. What you cant do is regress into the shy awkward girl. I think lunches are awkward so decide if its a packed lunch or of they have a cafeteria. Maybe someone will taje you under their wing o you will make a friend.

The key is dont let a set back be anything more than temporary. Learn your job as quickly as possible. Keep notes on what you learned and key info.

If you keep pushing forward you will be fine. its natural to be nervous.

Take it one day at a time and just be the inner confident person you want to be.

GL
Thank you, I'll try to keep all this in mind and not talk myself down! It sounds like the training period will be very thorough so I think I'll be able to get a good grip of everything as long as I don't start doubting myself too much.

Only letting setbacks be temporary is really useful advice, thank you! Sometimes you just need another person to remind you of what you know deep down.

Today was pretty good and the people seem really lovely so far. There's a few of us starting together and I actually made the effort to talk and get to know them a bit. :five:

Due to the location, there's not really anywhere nearby you can pop to for lunch and I'm actually glad! This means I have to bring a packed lunch and have no choice but to sit in the canteen with other people. In other jobs I was always the first out the door just to avoid having to chat to my colleagues for the entire lunch break haha. I'm anti-social by nature but I don't really want to be so this will help!
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by xxJazxx)
Thank you, I'll try to keep all this in mind and not talk myself down! It sounds like the training period will be very thorough so I think I'll be able to get a good grip of everything as long as I don't start doubting myself too much.

Only letting setbacks be temporary is really useful advice, thank you! Sometimes you just need another person to remind you of what you know deep down.

Today was pretty good and the people seem really lovely so far. There's a few of us starting together and I actually made the effort to talk and get to know them a bit. :five:

Due to the location, there's not really anywhere nearby you can pop to for lunch and I'm actually glad! This means I have to bring a packed lunch and have no choice but to sit in the canteen with other people. In other jobs I was always the first out the door just to avoid having to chat to my colleagues for the entire lunch break haha. I'm anti-social by nature but I don't really want to be so this will help!
You sound like you made good progress. keep it up.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (133)
29.69%
No (315)
70.31%

Watched Threads