The Student Room Group

Am I the only one seeing a rapid decline in society and morals due to social media?

Scroll to see replies

who cares-u sound like a grumpy old guy
Original post by No Filters
Love your avatar, lots of London girls dress like this and they're hot.

I agree with everything that u said.

But her dp/girls dress sense is influenced by social media, celebrity's, current trends and everything else u we're just ****ging off
Reply 62
Original post by Moshe073
There's no basis for morals without religion. I know that's an argument that's been said many times but imo it's pretty much undeniable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't agree, there are also ethic philosophies and personal or humanitarian ethics, all valid sources of morality alternative to religion.
Reply 63
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 64
Original post by No Filters
This is because God said so, and they are not archaic they are just not considered as "cool" nowadays. What is archaic about loving your enemies, respecting your elders, and giving to the poor? What a bad argument.

You can claim that Christian values are all of that, i know these are lies and they do need to govern our democratic society because they are the best of values and have helped humanity progress over the last hundreds of years.

This is what happens when you give people a religious education instead of teaching them proper history, literature and philosophy.

Christianity has been a cancer for humanity in the past. It opposed the classical splendor and basically called for the Middle Ages, then it made sure that we remained in that state of civil and intellectual misery and degradation for 1000 years. 1000! One thousand years of oppression, ignorance, dogmatic dreaming and violence. One thousand years in which knowledge was not progressed, but merely transmitted, "because god is still and has given us all the knowledge we need, there shall be no advance". One thousand years of censorship, burnt books, burnt thinkers, burnt women and burnt ideas.

And then came progress. Human progress from the Middle Ages was vastly developed as an opposition to established religion. We emerged from that state by denying religious beliefs and practices. We had to fight for progress against the churches for 500 years, and still have to (on divorce, homosexuality, women's rights, though I acknowledge that Christianity in the recent years became more open, tolerant and progressive).

You talk like that because you have no idea of what we were before religion. Before that wicked lie called Christianity contaminated our souls and sedated our brains. Agorà on Hypatia is a film every Christian should see.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 65
But what's their basis and what stops them being subjective/flexible. Also without religion morality isn't really logical.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Religion is flexible too, all the idea of forgiveness and priests applying dogma as they please to suit the situation. Stoicism for example is quite coherent and uncompromising as regards the pursuit and application of virtue.

I'd argue that philosophies are more logical than religion (that's pretty obvious) and they find logical justifications for their moral teachings, rather than saying "it's written in a book inspired by god".
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 66
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 67
Not all religions are the same. About Stoicism it claims to advocate logic and reason as the method for all problem solving and it preaches kindness and equality. However it's all based on nothing. It has no foundations and nothing compelling an individual to follow it. What if it's illogical to be kind in a circumstance? It has nice ideas and it's not void of values but I don't really think it has two legs to stand on. What are morals and virtues if not for a higher purpose?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Many stoics believed in a higher purpose of fulfilling the supreme Good and becoming sages and therefore ascending to the ranks of the "gods". Many ancient thinkers believed in the highest good: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summum_bonum

Ancient philosophies could also accept the idea of god (though not one who takes active participation in human matters, writes, floods, has a son) and immortality of the soul. The whole Christian doctrine of the soul was copied from them.

In fact, let's not forget that Christianity was formed by assimilating and copying previous philosophical thought, with some elements on innovation in regard to religious zeal and faith (opposed to reAson). One who analyses Christian doctrine understands how much of it comes from Plato for example.
Reply 68
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 69
Kids are impressionable and this makes them especially vulnerable to the less desirable forces at work in social media and celebrity culture. Social media also exposes them to a lot of pressure to compete (1 like = 1 validation) and I think this can be quite damaging to people's self-esteem.

Unfortunately there's little control parents have over the situation. It's probably an overreaction to ban your kids from using social media, and it probably wouldn't work anyway. The problem is that kids typically don't yet have the wisdom to understand what's good for themselves, and that wisdom is something that only comes from time and experience (and the luck of having the right disposition).

The degree to which we actually want social media is a societal question and I think people need to inform themselves about the effects of social media in order for us to begin to have any control over the extent to which we as a society are exposed to it.
We do live a in a complete moral inversion. Islam, the purest lifestyle there has ever been, is demonised and attacked by the government and the media while talentless s1uts like Grande are promoted as some sort of champion of freedom and democracy. Lets face all mainstream female singers/actresses are basically whores; no artistic merit to any of them. Everything is an inversion of decency, all forms of deviancy are encouraged including single motherhood, homosexuality, credit/debt, binge drinking. Family, religion, and community are replaced with militant atheism, out of control immigration and people with no roots.
Original post by HouseRoadLife
We do live a in a complete moral inversion. Islam, the purest lifestyle there has ever been, is demonised and attacked by the government and the media while talentless s1uts like Grande are promoted as some sort of champion of freedom and democracy. Lets face all mainstream female singers/actresses are basically whores; no artistic merit to any of them. Everything is an inversion of decency, all forms of deviancy are encouraged including single motherhood, homosexuality, credit/debt, binge drinking. Family, religion, and community are replaced with militant atheism, out of control immigration and people with no roots.

1) Why is Islam the purest religion ever?

2) What the hell is wrong with you? Single mothers and members of LGBTQ+ can be great ****ing people. Leave them the f alone. If you don't like it, go somewhere completely different then innit.

3) What's wrong with atheism? Actually I cba explaining anything to someone like you because people like you will always be stuck in your backwards thinking ways.
Original post by jabbathemuttdog
1) Why is Islam the purest religion ever?

2) What the hell is wrong with you? Single mothers and members of LGBTQ+ can be great ****ing people. Leave them the f alone. If you don't like it, go somewhere completely different then innit.

3) What's wrong with atheism? Actually I cba explaining anything to someone like you because people like you will always be stuck in your backwards thinking ways.

Orthodox judaism and south asian culture in general is pretty ****ing pure. There is no culture that even comes close. Quran/sharia has everything, it governs finance, morality, ethics, jurisprudence. Single mothers I'm afraid are absolute scum, why on earth are we subsidising the lifestyles of people that cant even bothered to rubber up or not shag strange black men? All our problems in the west are basically to the decline in moral disciple, not equality or lack of investment in the north or any of that ****. The only white politician of any merit that was tackling the status quo was Nick Griffin but I dont know what on earth happened to him.
Original post by HouseRoadLife
Orthodox judaism and south asian culture in general is pretty ****ing pure. There is no culture that even comes close. Quran/sharia has everything, it governs finance, morality, ethics, jurisprudence. Single mothers I'm afraid are absolute scum, why on earth are we subsidising the lifestyles of people that cant even bothered to rubber up or not shag strange black men? All our problems in the west are basically to the decline in moral disciple, not equality or lack of investment in the north or any of that ****. The only white politician of any merit that was tackling the status quo was Nick Griffin but I dont know what on earth happened to him.

Shut your ass - you obviously don't know ****ing anything. I'm not taking over OP's post so if you want to post your dumbass views some where else, go ahead.
Reply 74
I'm not a Christian...

Some stoics might believe in God but Stoicism itself is not a belief system. In my opinion morality without belief in God doesn't have basis. That's just how I see it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think that faith is necessary, we can be moral if we think that what is just is rational, right and natural and what is natural makes us happy and wise.
Why has the thread become about religion?
But yeah, I agree with the thread title. When people meet to look at their phones rather than talk to each other, you know there's only one direction society is heading...
Reply 76
agree with OP
Original post by shawn_o1
But yeah, I agree with the thread title. When people meet to look at their phones rather than talk to each other, you know there's only one direction society is heading...

Because this is TSR. Just be glad it's mainly about Christianity for once.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 78
Original post by shawn_o1

I was on the bus yesterday and these two girls could not drop their damn phones, they missed their initial stops and laughed about it, went back to their phones, said they would get down at the next stop, then snapped themselves saying "oh we literally missed our bus twice"

That's where I got my inspiration for this thread, i kinda lost it looking at them LOL
Reply 79
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending