Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Okay... as some of you probably now, I'm an arty kinda person and I was really surprised to get an offer for a foundation art course at KIAD in Maidstone, Kent and CIA in Carlisle, Cumbria.

Okay... to all the arty people out there? Which is better for foundation and general greatness?? I've had a look but I'm still undecided so any help, advice and info would be great.

Secondly a more general question open to anyone... what is Maidstone and Carlisle like to live in? Cost of living etc? People who live there? Opportunities? Things to do? What is actually there?etc etc

Thanks for any help in advance

Skye

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Skye~)
    Okay... to all the arty people out there? Which is better for foundation and general greatness?? I've had a look but I'm still undecided so any help, advice and info would be great.
    Probably won't help but I had a friend who did foundation at carlisle and went on to the Academy in Glasgow - she said that the course at carlisle is well regarded there.

Secondly a more general question open to anyone... what is Maidstone and Carlisle like to live in? Cost of living etc? People who live there? Opportunities? Things to do? What is actually there?etc etc
    Being in the north Carlisle will be cheaper to live in than Maidstone. Cumbrian weather isn't that friendly. Carlisle is of a reasonable size and has plenty of shopping/bars/clubs, good cathedral if you're into those, crap football team. Glasgow is about an hour or so away by train (not too far) and is great as a source of inspiration.

lol. ONE reply. Thought as much. Come on! There must be other people who can help too? (thanks to chemistboy though.)

Um... degree-wise, I'm probably looking to go somewhere in the southwards region anyway... but I'm just thinking that... *thinks*-damn, I don't know what I'm thinking :confused: hence ANY sort of info would be welcome... preferably soon? seeing as I start my course very very soon!

I just wish you luck sweetie..... one of the reasons i respect you......is that you're really clever yet you do what you want to do......

(Original post by DazYaABBB)
    I just wish you luck sweetie..... one of the reasons i respect you......is that you're really clever yet you do what you want to do......
    awwwwwwwwwwwww.... thanks Dazzy Wish you all the best too!

awwwwwwwwwwwww.... thanks Dazzy Wish you all the best too!
    thanks sugar pie * hug *

ReputationRep:
    someone pass me the sick bucket.....

(Original post by who_me)
    someone pass me the sick bucket.....
    -go to hell... and no-one asked you to read the thread(!) So naff off. Nice contructive posts only please.

ReputationRep:
    -go to hell... and no-one asked you to read the thread(!) So naff off. Nice contructive posts only please.
    Go to hell?!!! Woah, chill out!

Go to hell?!!! Woah, chill out!
    but why do you stupid little newb ******s t have to respond to us? seriously hjust stfu

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazYaABBB)
    but why do you stupid little newb ******s t have to respond to us? seriously hjust stfu
    Boo hoo. ****. Grow up.

Boo hoo. ****. Grow up.
    just don't even reply kthx

Boo hoo. ****. Grow up.
    Here's a tip: You grow up and go and play with your little toys in the corner. Now shoo. And stop spamming my thread!!

ReputationRep:
    Here's a tip: You grow up and go and play with your little toys in the corner. Now shoo. And stop spamming my thread!!
    Well I would but I started enjoying this when you told me to go to hell.... :rolleyes:

Well I would but I started enjoying this when you told me to go to hell.... :rolleyes:
    *rolls eyes* Typical.

I'll keep this bumped up in the hope that someone might actually provide some info. lol. Probably wishful thinking. *sighs*

Okay... as some of you probably now, I'm an arty kinda person and I was really surprised to get an offer for a foundation art course at KIAD in Maidstone, Kent and CIA in Carlisle, Cumbria.

Thanks for any help in advance

Skye
    right okay... a bit more info to go on...

KIAD class sizes appears to be bigger, CIA smaller. Therefore sharing facilities and access and tutor support if I need it should in theory be better.

However, KIAD's got more kool trips. lol. CIA doesn't appear to have any.

CIA actually offered me an unconditional offer!!!! before they saw my grades! wow!

KIAD, however, for whatever reason appears to be higher up in the League tables, though I think it's pretty inaccurate .

CIA only had shared private houses left.

and now I've heard that KIAD offers you chance to do an extra qualification, which would greatly enhance my portfolio...

eek.
    Help!!!

I have less than ten days to decide on somewhere and find a house, so if ANYONE could help in ANY way with my queries, I would be eternally grateful!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ideally, ASAP.

*looks concerned*
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Have you visited them both? If not then I really think you should. It really isn't a good idea to base your decision on impressions over the phone and on league tables. It might cost a bit but spending a year of your life in a place you aren't happy would cost you more.

Carrying on from a foundation course to an Art/Design degree is based on your portfolio more so where you completed your foundation so choose the place where you think you'll feel happiest and able to create new additions to your portfolio that do your talents justice.

(Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Have you visited them both? If not then I really think you should. It really isn't a good idea to base your decision on impressions over the phone and on league tables. It might cost a bit but spending a year of your life in a place you aren't happy would cost you more.

Carrying on from a foundation course to an Art/Design degree is based on your portfolio more so where you completed your foundation so choose the place where you think you'll feel happiest and able to create new additions to your portfolio that do your talents justice.
    Yeh, i've visited both places... was more impressed with CIA to be honest. But KIAd has more perks and the obvious extra qulaification thing. I'm not sure though still. Cumbria has new facilities and smaller class sizes and I know it sounds silly, but I feel more comfortable there to study. I feel more inspired! lol Not sure about Carlisle itself though, we kinda went through the naff parts which was off putting plus it was puring down with rain! I think the tutors like me there more too. I appeared to have impressed them more and they were more interested in what I had to say and wanted to know more about my work. They have a good success rate for getting people to their first choice degrees too! Though both tutors who interviewd me said they hoped to see me choosing them. *sigh* What do you suggest?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.