E3 2017: Xbox One X Announced

Watch
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Promising the most powerful console ever, with supposedly native 4K resolution and 4K-quality textures/detail, in the smallest chassis of any Xbox to date.

Microsoft's E3 keynote, where they will also be announcing new games, is live now.

https://www.twitch.tv/xbox

Games announced:

Forza 7
Metro: Exodus
Assassin's Creed: Origins
PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
State of Decay 2
The Darwin Project
Dragonball Fighter Z
Black Desert
The Last Night
The Artful Escape
Sea of Thieves
Tacoma
Super Lucky's Tale
Cuphead
Crackdown 3
Unruly Heroes
Path of Exile
Observer
Surviving Mars
Dunk Lords
(I stopped keeping track around this point, I'm sure there will be a roundup somewhere)
AngryJellyfish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
As if the naming system wasn't confusing enough already... 1, 360, 1, 1X? :laugh:
Gofre
Rep:
?
Good stuff:
*Ironically the thing I was happiest most about was seeing Microsoft's continued commitment to including Windows under the umbrella of its exclusives rather than holding them solely to the Xbox.,
*The Last Night looks like somebody took all the best bits from 1980s sci fi and noir movies and threw them into a game, and it looks really cool.
*Anthem looks great, hopefully Bioware can come back from the **** show that was Andromeda
*Not a single mention of Kinect

Less good stuff.
*Not a whole lot of stuff blew me away in terms of graphics considering the lofty claims of true 4K and unrivalled power. I wasn't expecting them to match the calibre of PC-grade 1440p/4K games running at max settings, but a lot of the stuff on show didn't seem to be showcasing an enormous jump in fidelity. It's early days yet though and it's difficult to tell just how much of the issue was down to compression from the stream, so I'll reserve judgement.
*No Halo makes me sad
*They threw about a billion titles at the screen and a lot of them felt like fodder in all honestly. For example Super Lucky's Tale was a completely generic platformer which was at its most exciting when people were trying to figure out if it was Tails from Sonic for the first few seconds.
*Microsoft are still dragging their knuckles on VR.
PrettymuchGod
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Anthem looks so good
FakeNewsEditor
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Gofre)
Good stuff:
*Ironically the thing I was happiest most about was seeing Microsoft's continued commitment to including Windows under the umbrella of its exclusives rather than holding them solely to the Xbox.,
*The Last Night looks like somebody took all the best bits from 1980s sci fi and noir movies and threw them into a game, and it looks really cool.
*Anthem looks great, hopefully Bioware can come back from the sh*t show that was Andromeda
*Not a single mention of Kinect

Less good stuff.
*Not a whole lot of stuff blew me away in terms of graphics considering the lofty claims of true 4K and unrivalled power. I wasn't expecting them to match the calibre of PC-grade 1440p/4K games running at max settings, but a lot of the stuff on show didn't seem to be showcasing an enormous jump in fidelity. It's early days yet though and it's difficult to tell just how much of the issue was down to compression from the stream, so I'll reserve judgement.
*No Halo makes me sad
*They threw about a billion titles at the screen and a lot of them felt like fodder in all honestly. For example Super Lucky's Tale was a completely generic platformer which was at its most exciting when people were trying to figure out if it was Tails from Sonic for the first few seconds.
*Microsoft are still dragging their knuckles on VR.
Playstation VR looks okay but only okay. Arkham's graphics were ... bad. So not happy about playstation VR either (although it is praised to the skies in every review, I have yet to realise why).
Gofre
Rep:
?
(Original post by FakeNewsEditor)
Playstation VR looks okay but only okay. Arkham's graphics were ... bad. So not happy about playstation VR either (although it is praised to the skies in every review, I have yet to realise why).
Oh yeah the console VR experiences are inevitably never going to be class leading or without problems, but more competition will push boundaries and hopefully inspire lower costs going forward, which is good for everybody.
Meany Pie
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Already decided, I'm buying it.
Gofre
Rep:
?
So after having looked at the specs and proposed power of the One X, it appears to sit in the same performance bracket as a £450ish self-build PC at current market prices, which is around the price I expect the One X to retail at, with the exception of a truckload of system-shared GDDR5 RAM compared to a smaller volume of GDDR5 dedicated to the GPU that you'd find in a conventional gaming PC. The combination of this high memory allocation and the focus on texture fidelity in their presentation makes me think they're going to cheat their way to native 4K with the textures they can store in that memory at the expense of more intensive computational tasks like draw distance, shaders etc, with a lot software trickery like we've seen in the PS4 Pro thrown in for good measure. If that ends up being roughly right, I can imagine it being a satisfying enough solution for the majority of couch gamers sat 10ft away from their TV that want to get more use out of their 4k TV (which is of course who it's aimed at), but won't match a PC 4K experience for purists and generally isn't going to be the "true 4K" revolution some people are optimistically hoping for- it's just not powerful enough, no matter how well optimised games are.

The truth will, of course, be revealed when it's in the hands of reviewers and players.
Meany Pie
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Gofre)
So after having looked at the specs and proposed power of the One X, it appears to sit in the same performance bracket as a £450ish self-build PC at current market prices, which is around the price I expect the One X to retail at, with the exception of a truckload of system-shared GDDR5 RAM compared to a smaller volume of GDDR5 dedicated to the GPU that you'd find in a conventional gaming PC. The combination of this high memory allocation and the focus on texture fidelity in their presentation makes me think they're going to cheat their way to native 4K with the textures they can store in that memory at the expense of more intensive computational tasks like draw distance, shaders etc, with a lot software trickery like we've seen in the PS4 Pro thrown in for good measure. If that ends up being roughly right, I can imagine it being a satisfying enough solution for the majority of couch gamers sat 10ft away from their TV that want to get more use out of their 4k TV (which is of course who it's aimed at), but won't match a PC 4K experience for purists and generally isn't going to be the "true 4K" revolution some people are optimistically hoping for- it's just not powerful enough, no matter how well optimised games are.

The truth will, of course, be revealed when it's in the hands of reviewers and players.
So how does that translate to someone who uses a monitor instead of a TV?
Gofre
Rep:
?
(Original post by Meany Pie)
So how does that translate to someone who uses a monitor instead of a TV?
Presumably you'll be a lot closer to the screen, which may make any shortcomings in their implementation of 4K more noticeable. Again, it all depends on what exactly they're going to be able to achieve with the available resources.
Kholmes1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
X box One X= XBOX. Huh okay.

Might buy an xbox one soon.

Games im really excited for (not just on xbox)

Life is Strange
A Way Out. (omg its like prison break meets uncharted.)
152mmOfDerp
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It only applies to people who have already got a 4K TV in all honesty and as Gofre pointed out, at this price, it won't be "true" 4K experience.
Pulse.
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Going off everything that we know so far, should I regret having brought a PS4 Pro last week my dudes?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Gofre
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pulse.)
Going off everything that we know so far, should I regret having brought a PS4 Pro last week my dudes?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It depends, what are your priorities when it comes to a console?
haseebj49
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I have an xbox one s and a 4k tv. Don't know if I should upgrade though as it still will be pricey at around 400 pounds. Still forza 7 looks amazing with all my other games getting an update to perform at 60fps and 4k 😀
Gofre
Rep:
?
(Original post by haseeb_jarral786)
I have an xbox one s and a 4k tv. Don't know if I should upgrade though as it still will be pricey at around 400 pounds. Still forza 7 looks amazing with all my other games getting an update to perform at 60fps and 4k 😀
Expect closer to £450, the original Xbox One cost £429 against a $499 rrp and that was before sterling's value got tanked by brexit. I'd also not get too caught up on playing old games in 4K, unless they've convinced developers to take time out away from new games to optimise old ones it's most likely just going to be some form of generic upscaling.
haseebj49
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Gofre)
Expect closer to £450, the original Xbox One cost £429 against a $499 rrp and that was before sterling's value got tanked by brexit. I'd also not get too caught up on playing old games in 4K, unless they've convinced developers to take time out away from new games to optimise old ones it's most likely just going to be some form of generic upscaling.
Forza Horizon 3 will get the update to 4k and that is about the only game I play atm other than Fifa.
Also F1 2017 (which I can't wait for) will probably be released in 4k for Xbox One X
Gofre
Rep:
?
(Original post by haseeb_jarral786)
Forza Horizon 3 will get the update to 4k and that is about the only game I play atm other than Fifa.
Also F1 2017 (which I can't wait for) will probably be released in 4k for Xbox One X
In that case I think the question to ask yourself is whether it's worth paying £449 for the graphics boost to only one or two games?

Also, I've just found that the UK price has indeed been confirmed at £449.
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3.../1100-6450743/
Jammy Duel
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The One X really is a hard sell when looking at it objectively, and only becomes harder as time goes on. Just like the PS4 Pro you're looking at hardware with a similar price bracket to a PC of the same calibre (in raw hardware terms) even at launch. Of course then the question becomes whether the slightly better optimisation for the console is worth losing the very multifunctional nature of a computer, consoles may be better than they were when it comes to the broader internet experience but they are still severely lacking, especially given the lack of keyboard. The other side that makes the One X a hard sell is that if all the Xbox exclusives are also coming out on PC there isn't even the exclusives argument to be made bar a very small number of games that may be console exclusive.
152mmOfDerp
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The only advantage is the fact it can play (or cheat) games in 4K. When you're sitting far away from a TV, 4K and 1080p look very similar so I honestly don't see any difference in it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.25%
I'm not sure (59)
4.55%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (381)
29.35%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.85%
I'm not a current university student (636)
49%

Watched Threads