Scottish Conservatives vow to scupper hard Brexit Watch

MagicNMedicine
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Ruth Davidson and the 13 Scottish Conservative MPs will use their votes to scupper plans for a hard Brexit as a delighted George Osborne calls Davidson "the heroine of the party".

The 13 Scottish Conservatives outnumber the DUP and so will have a blocking minority able to vote down the government.

Ruth Davidson was a prominent Remain campaigner leading the last TV debate for the Remain side alongside Sadiq Khan.

Ironic that Theresa May called the election because she said there were people trying to frustrate the Brexit process? I wonder if this will bring an end to her hard talk about being willing to walk away with no deal, and bring a deal closer to single market membership back on the table.
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Not to mention any other Remainer English Tories Ken Clarke can rally to the cause.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
Not to mention any other Remainer English Tories Ken Clarke can rally to the cause.
Remember a majority of the 2015-17 Parliamentary party supported Remain. Some of them would be time-servers supporting whatever would then advance their careers, but most probably believed it.

The General Election, particularly UKIP's defeat, resets the political process.

Farage will, I think stand for UKIP and win, but he won't rebuild what has been lost.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by MagicNMedicine)
Ruth Davidson and the 13 Scottish Conservative MPs will use their votes to scupper plans for a hard Brexit as a delighted George Osborne calls Davidson "the heroine of the party".
All she's really talked about is building consensus and having a greater focus on the economy (which I think only the Independent has read as being a crack at immigration policy - let's not forget that the Scottish Conservative manifesto echoed the points about domestically controlled migration).

If we're going to suggest there's going to be a big change of policy, the question has to be "in what regard?". No-one within the Conservative Party is really talking about that. At least not in public.

bring a deal closer to single market membership back on the table.
There is no status of "membership" of the single market outside of the EU. That simply doesn't exist.

We could move to a more EEA-style model - but I think simply taking the EEA Agreement off the shelf would be inappropriate. That also keeps us outside the customs union, limits EU control over farming and fishing etc - quite what it clearly gains, other than free movement - I'm not really clear on.
MagicNMedicine
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by L i b)
There is no status of "membership" of the single market outside of the EU. That simply doesn't exist.

We could move to a more EEA-style model - but I think simply taking the EEA Agreement off the shelf would be inappropriate. That also keeps us outside the customs union, limits EU control over farming and fishing etc - quite what it clearly gains, other than free movement - I'm not really clear on.
That's why I said 'closer to' single market membership rather than single market membership.

An EEA style agreement would involve free movement. The sovereignty returned from moving from the EU to EEA would be agriculture, fisheries, foreign policy, justice (but we had opt outs there anyway), trade, regional policy.

I agree with you on not seeing much gain for an economy like ours where agriculture/fishing is relatively small (unlike Norway). If we were in the EEA then you'd have to ask why not be in the EU and at least have a vote so we could influence policies rather than be excluded from the voting. The rationale for EEA would be to avoid a shock to the economy as it would be more or less business as usual for the business community, whereas a WTO style Brexit with trade barriers would result in a shock.

I think the Brexiters will be aware that the clock is ticking, not just on Article 50 negotiations but on the public support. The argument "we're delivering the will of the people" for a hard WTO style Brexit will diminish in force over time, as did the argument for austerity. In the end people start to prioritise their jobs and prosperity over other things, and as most people don't understand all the issues behind Brexit they would probably accept being sold the EEA as a scenario of having delivered Brexit because we would have left the EU.

The immigration argument would be used by the Brexiters but they will also note the collapse of the UKIP vote at this election and the large support for Corbyn who is not noted for being 'hard on immigration'.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (362)
66.91%
No (179)
33.09%

Watched Threads