The Student Room Group

Warning to freshers regarding housing.

Hey so if you're going to be starting uni in September here's just a heads up regarding housing. Around about November time people in your accomdation will start discussing who they're gonna live with for next year and they'll start arranging house viewings ect. Landlords will tell you that houses are filling up fast and you need to book asap; this simply isn't true in most places; landlords tend to own many properties and will release a bunch at a time so honestly guys just calm down and don't feel pressured into signing a house contract just cause it seems like you have to.

Also another topic; don't sign a contract with people unless you're honestly certain you'd be happy living with them. Once you've signed it's hard to back out unless you find a replacement and just cause you've known these people for a few months doesn't mean you know them inside out !

If you haven't found anyone you would definetly want to live with don't panic either and explore your options. Many people will be looking for others to live with and Facebook flatmate finder groups could be used to link you up with others to go and live with.

Also halls is an option ! Although there's unfortunately a bit of a stigma attached to people other than freshers staying in halls please don't let this put you off staying there again ! Living in halls is a lot less hassle compared to a house and can actually turn up cheaper than a house.

Just think about it carefully before giving into the peer pressure of signing contracts
Original post by fefssdf
Hey so if you're going to be starting uni in September here's just a heads up regarding housing. Around about November time people in your accomdation will start discussing who they're gonna live with for next year and they'll start arranging house viewings ect. Landlords will tell you that houses are filling up fast and you need to book asap; this simply isn't true in most places; landlords tend to own many properties and will release a bunch at a time so honestly guys just calm down and don't feel pressured into signing a house contract just cause it seems like you have to.

Also another topic; don't sign a contract with people unless you're honestly certain you'd be happy living with them. Once you've signed it's hard to back out unless you find a replacement and just cause you've known these people for a few months doesn't mean you know them inside out !

If you haven't found anyone you would definetly want to live with don't panic either and explore your options. Many people will be looking for others to live with and Facebook flatmate finder groups could be used to link you up with others to go and live with.

Also halls is an option ! Although there's unfortunately a bit of a stigma attached to people other than freshers staying in halls please don't let this put you off staying there again ! Living in halls is a lot less hassle compared to a house and can actually turn up cheaper than a house.

Just think about it carefully before giving into the peer pressure of signing contracts

I wish halls were an option at my uni, I'd pick it 10 times out of 10...

Good advice though, I find that people outside of the university want to milk you for money and charge stupid fees for nothing and I don't think it's worth the hassle if you have the option not to.
Reply 2
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne

Good advice though, I find that people outside of the university want to milk you for money and charge stupid fees for nothing and I don't think it's worth the hassle if you have the option not to.

Yeh honestly everyone assumes houses are cheap but that's cause you're paying say £80 a week to live somewhere pretty horrible
Such good advice! Those people you think are your 'best friends' during the first term - which is only 2-3 months - will be grating on you by the end of the year when you're sick of mess/noise/weird food habits/whatever else. Make sure you're being honest about what bad habits they have and wait as long as possible to sign in case you stop getting along.

Also - if you see a house which has some sort of problem - get it in WRITING and preferably in the contract that the landlord will fix or replace X, Y and Z before your contract begins. Don't trust 'oh don't worry we'll sort that out'. And don't be afraid to ask for things, I know people who've had the landlord provide a new TV or replace items around the house because they were old and crappy. You've got to live in this place for a year so don't panic - find somewhere you'll be happy to pay for. In my first year panic at all the 'houses running out' me and my friends genuinely considered moving into a house where they were advertising a CORRIDOR as a bedroom (seriously, they stuck a bed in it and it meant you had to walk through someone's 'bedroom' to get to the kitchen etc) and showed the place with cupboard doors hanging off in the kitchen and fag butts in the toilet. In the end we signed months after everyone else and found a nice little house with a reasonable landlord for £55 per week (incl. bills).
I see your point but I can't advise people to wait much longer than November. My landlord (well they're an agency) start filling up their houses in August (For the following September) and by Christmas they've all completely gone...I guess it's because they're the best agents for miles around and the others just rip you off...Like we signed our house in October and by January there was so many couples wanting 2 beds and they'd all gone =/

Really, don't you enjoy quiet from time to time?
Original post by Meany Pie
Really, don't you enjoy quiet from time to time?

Noise was a slight problem where I stayed - only slight. I can appreciate this varying though.*

Even with that in mind, dealing with a uni is much less hassle and they don't charge you very silly fees and usually the location is great, so to me the pros outweigh the cons.
*barring a situation where you have a nightmare of a housemate..
Noise was a slight problem where I stayed - only slight. I can appreciate this varying though.*

Even with that in mind, dealing with a uni is much less hassle and they don't charge you very silly fees and usually the location is great, so to me the pros outweigh the cons.
*barring a situation where you have a nightmare of a housemate..

My halls in first year were a madhouse, but then halls were only for first years.

I much prefer dealing with agents, they know what they are talking about and are pretty open to negotiation.
Really November?most of my mates didn't decide who to live with till like February and I thought that was early...
Reply 9
Original post by doodle_333
Such good advice! Those people you think are your 'best friends' during the first term - which is only 2-3 months - will be grating on you by the end of the year when you're sick of mess/noise/weird food habits/whatever else. Make sure you're being honest about what bad habits they have and wait as long as possible to sign in case you stop getting along.

Also - if you see a house which has some sort of problem - get it in WRITING and preferably in the contract that the landlord will fix or replace X, Y and Z before your contract begins. Don't trust 'oh don't worry we'll sort that out'. And don't be afraid to ask for things, I know people who've had the landlord provide a new TV or replace items around the house because they were old and crappy. You've got to live in this place for a year so don't panic - find somewhere you'll be happy to pay for. In my first year panic at all the 'houses running out' me and my friends genuinely considered moving into a house where they were advertising a CORRIDOR as a bedroom (seriously, they stuck a bed in it and it meant you had to walk through someone's 'bedroom' to get to the kitchen etc) and showed the place with cupboard doors hanging off in the kitchen and fag butts in the toilet. In the end we signed months after everyone else and found a nice little house with a reasonable landlord for £55 per week (incl. bills).

Yeh honestly it's ridiculous ; my friend is living somewhere they themselves really dislike eg. The kitchen is really small and it's all dated in general and I can't help but think why they didn't just look around some other places or leave it another month or so. I still see houses advertised now and it's June for goodness sake. When I was looking at houses there was one which had the front room as a bedroom this leaning there wasn't really a dining room and the landlord was adamant that it was just the norm despite the fact the front door was basically blocked shut by the bed... weird

Personally I haven't sorted housing yet but have looked around a few and actually seen some decent ones, which are admittedly more expensive but let's be honest it's worth paying more considering the fact you're gonna be there so much of the time !
Reply 10
Original post by Larissa14
Really November?most of my mates didn't decide who to live with till like February and I thought that was early...

Yeh honestly everyone in my hall were already going on house viewings in November time and then when it came to after xmas the people who I was previously gonna live with started getting in a panic cause their mates had booked houses and they made me go house viewings with them during exam season cause they just wanted to get their house sorted which is just silly and we should've just waited...
Thanks! I'm so unprepared though, it's crazy. Got to get through A levels first :/
Original post by fefssdf
Yeh honestly everyone in my hall were already going on house viewings in November time and then when it came to after xmas the people who I was previously gonna live with started getting in a panic cause their mates had booked houses and they made me go house viewings with them during exam season cause they just wanted to get their house sorted which is just silly and we should've just waited...

I don't think I spoke about flats till after Christmas.just felt like I didn't know people in December.people change aswell Espically within the 1st few months and people drop out too!!! Don't think I went to a flat viewing till February
Reply 13
Original post by Larissa14
I don't think I spoke about flats till after Christmas.just felt like I didn't know people in December.people change aswell Espically within the 1st few months and people drop out too!!! Don't think I went to a flat viewing till February

That's good to know ; it's a shame people in my uni seem to get so worked up about it and want to do it so quickly. And then there's instances of people agreeing to live with people they don't even like I mean someone I know is in a house with 5 mates and another lad who they just didn't wanna say no to instead of actively seeking to find a replacement like it's just things like that which upset me really like the fact people will just sign any old contracts with anyone just so they can get it over and done with. Odd
I wish I knew this when I wast in first year. Just finished 2nd year and had the worst time in my house this year and it is still continuing. I cannot afford rent because I don't have a job (applied to many), and the head housemate is completely unsympathetic because he has a job so he can't see why I cant "just get a job then"!

Luckily, I am going into accommodation for my final year and it's only a 8 month contract, rather than a ridiculous 12 month contract. Worst decision of my life!

Accommodation is so much easier! I've seen many people who think they've made "best friends" during first year and get a house together and then by the end of the second year, absolutely despise one another and go their separate ways once the contract has finished.

Yes, it might not be greener on the other side, but I say it's a lot easier to be in halls, especially with 2nd and 3rd year students as you will not be annoyed at Freshers partying and being animals.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending