Is the University of Southampton lenient when it comes to postgraduate entry reqs? Watch

dang95
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I applied for the MSc Web Technology programme at the University of Southampton and they gave me a conditional offer.

The condition is that I graduate with a 2:1 honours degree. 2:1 in my country is an average grade of 70%.

What are the chances of getting accepted if say my average is 67-69% ?

I know that finally this will come down to the university itself (when they decide), however, I was hoping maybe someone has been through a similar case and could answer me.

Thanks in advance!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by dang95)
I applied for the MSc Web Technology programme at the University of Southampton and they gave me a conditional offer.

The condition is that I graduate with a 2:1 honours degree. 2:1 in my country is an average grade of 70%.

What are the chances of getting accepted if say my average is 67-69% ?

I know that finally this will come down to the university itself (when they decide), however, I was hoping maybe someone has been through a similar case and could answer me.

Thanks in advance!
It's difficult to say as it will depend on how many other people have applied, got offers and met their offer conditions.

Your best bet is to let them know as soon as you have your results and include a full breakdown of your results. That way they'll be able to see if you've done well in specific topics that are important for the MSc and hopefully make a decision early.

I'd recommend copying in the international team to any emails http://www.southampton.ac.uk/global-...fice-team.page
alidawwwgggg
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I found the process a bit difficult they required a 2:1 or a first for my course (sociology and social policy) I got a 2:1 but only just (61%) my undergrad was in social work although it is relevant to the course it wasn't sociology or social policy focused. They asked me to send them 2 of my 3rd year assignments to see my writing skills. They then accepted me. It seems they are fair and we're willing to give me a chance so they might be slightly lenient
Matticus C
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So when I applied for my postgraduate course at Southampton, I was averaging a high 2:2 in my undergrad degree... It wasn't good aha.

I just didn't work hard at all for the first 2 years of my undergraduate degree.

My A-Levels were also not amazing (ABB).

Southampton take into account your personal statement, work experience (as I applied for physiotherapy), and asked to see 1-2 pieces of work so I sent them a draft of my dissertation.

I ended up getting an conditional offer for Southampton, I needed a 2:1 on higher.

I worked my butt off in third year and got a solid 2:1 (63% overall). I start my course in January 2018

So overall, they look at your grades but they also look at loads of other things too.

Hope that helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (35)
7.22%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (287)
59.18%
No (163)
33.61%

Watched Threads