The Student Room Group

biology alevel meltdown

I have my alevel biology exam today... So biology was my favourite subject, I got an A on every end of topic test we did, but recently I started feeling kinda depressed coming up to my exams. I've done no revision for this as every time i look at the content I feel extremely nauseated by all the stuff I dont know and am totally freaking out now. Have I wrecked my future?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zeullius
I have my alevel biology exam today... So biology was my favourite subject, I got an A on every end of topic test we did, but recently I started feeling kinda depressed coming up to my exams. I've done no revision for this as every time i look at the content I feel extremely nauseated by all the stuff I dont know and am totally freaking out now. Have I wrecked my future?

It's not only you !!
Everyone feels the same !!
I have the exam today too and the mark schemes of past papers are so much weird
Reply 2
Original post by NNB_Herath
It's not only you !!
Everyone feels the same !!
I have the exam today too and the mark schemes of past papers are so much weird

Have you done much revision though because I havent im absolutely boned I feel like I remember none of this **** :frown:
Have you done much revision though because I havent im absolutely boned I feel like I remember none of this **** :frown:

Aww that's bad though..
At least leave TSR now and look at a past paper :smile:
Reply 4
Aww that's bad though..
At least leave TSR now and look at a past paper :smile:

hggggn I got 8 A*'s and 3A's at GCSE and I was predicted A*'AA (a* in biology) and now I feel like everyones gonna be so disappointed in me
Its ok.I have done lots of past papers and I dont feel prepared because the mark scheme is so weird.
It was only like fifty something for an A last year.you will be fine.
Original post by bobby147
Its ok.I have done lots of past papers and I dont feel prepared because the mark scheme is so weird.
It was only like fifty something for an A last year.you will be fine.

A* is 62/90 in IAL 2017 JAN
A* is 62/90 in IAL 2017 JAN

Thing is,in this new spec,actually getting every mark is pretty hard.
Reply 8
Don't worry! Remember that 15 marks at the end of the paper is A01 recall.

My advice would be this morning before the exam, try to look over basic A01 that you might have forgot. Trivial information but you might lack some detail if you haven't looked over it recently. Types of questions I mean is describe the structure of DNA (compare with RNA), differences between eukaryotic and prokaryotic, pressure differences in the heart and translocation/transpiration in plants.

Around 15% of the paper is maths based (I think) so if you're alright with the maths in biology; congratulations. Whenever I do any rate calculations, they are always incorrect.

I'm also going to look over topics that I've accidientally rejected or simply forgot to make notes on as there's weren't many exam questions e.g. Comparing protein or DNA bases to see if a species is related.

There's some stuff on required practicals, could involve some tricky questions but if it's enzyme action you should be set.

AQA papers so for (I've only done psychology but heard that stats in maths was a good exam too) have been nice, hopefully this passes onto biology!

Good luck everyone, sorry for my long continuous post.
Reply 9
Forgot to mention that in the specimen papers there's been questions on significance, going to guess it'll come up on this paper for 3 marks (possible chi squared calculation)
Reply 10
Original post by Goldsane
Don't worry! Remember that 15 marks at the end of the paper is A01 recall.

My advice would be this morning before the exam, try to look over basic A01 that you might have forgot. Trivial information but you might lack some detail if you haven't looked over it recently. Types of questions I mean is describe the structure of DNA (compare with RNA), differences between eukaryotic and prokaryotic, pressure differences in the heart and translocation/transpiration in plants.

Around 15% of the paper is maths based (I think) so if you're alright with the maths in biology; congratulations. Whenever I do any rate calculations, they are always incorrect.

I'm also going to look over topics that I've accidientally rejected or simply forgot to make notes on as there's weren't many exam questions e.g. Comparing protein or DNA bases to see if a species is related.

There's some stuff on required practicals, could involve some tricky questions but if it's enzyme action you should be set.

AQA papers so for (I've only done psychology but heard that stats in maths was a good exam too) have been nice, hopefully this passes onto biology!

Good luck everyone, sorry for my long continuous post.

Thank you !
Reply 11
I'm feeling quite nervous aswell tbh. Hopefully we'll do well doe :u:
Wish everyone here the best of luck and hopefully we get the grades we deserve! .... I hate biology.
Biology is my only A level and I've revised tons, but I'm still having panic attacks about it.

If you have the CGP revision guide, read through the AS content, that book is really useful.
Reply 14
Original post by Goldsane
Forgot to mention that in the specimen papers there's been questions on significance, going to guess it'll come up on this paper for 3 marks (possible chi squared calculation)

Wait what?? Chi-squared test in paper 1?? But that was A2... :s-smilie:
Reply 15
Original post by Iman_
Wait what?? Chi-squared test in paper 1?? But that was A2... :s-smilie:

which exam board are you?
How was the paper ?
Terrible. I did edexcel biology b btw.
Reply 18
which exam board are you?

AQA
Reply 19
How was the paper ?

Really easy. The only things I found difficult was some of the maths questions but
otherwise it was all good :u:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending